Is this harrassment ?

BruceVC

One question, how is donating money to this organisation help with stoping this?

I had the same question but was pleasantly surprised the group seems AT LEAST very level headed, check their website yourself and the "about" tab to read their goals and philosophy on changing things.

Mind you, how exactly that money gets used and if every dollar donated sees proper use is still (and is always) a good question given the relative low-budget costs of doing what they propose, but I see no reason to go on a witch hunt against these guys. Seems more like a situation where they could very easily and accidently end up with more cash than they could ever need for such minimal efforts rather than a flawed system that encourages them to pocket the money.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

In a big city they probably are but most people - men AND women - aren't going to count a simple 'how are you doing' as harassment like this video apparantly does.

Again I just wanna say this not so much in regards to this issue, but a little (important) life knowledge: there ARE cities where it's typically a bad idea to respond to a stranger saying things as simple as "how are you." I'm not talking a guy with some flyers to pass out or someone obviously trying to promote a product or whatever, but some random person chatting you up. This applies to both men and women. There's sadly some unstable people out there and you simply don't know what'll trigger them, so it's best to ignore them. No eye contact, no vocal acknowledgement, no nothing. Just keep walking and if you feel followed or in danger, head towards someplace you feel safe.

While I actually do have respect for the modest and humble efforts by that Hollaback group, I also think it's still a truth that this issue cannot universally be weeded out so long as mentally unstable people walk the streets. I would dare say those men who followed her (and maybe one guy that was dressed very odd) do not count as good evidence of "harassment" in my mind solely because I question their stability. They could've easily acted weird towards anyone, but attractive people unfortunately attract crazies as well and thus have to cope with them more.

You have made an interesting point, maybe in some places you just cant take the chance of greeting someone back because they may be mentally unbalanced and will misread your intentions?

This probably isn't common but it is a valid concern

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The best sum up was "you won't talk because I'm ugly?". Of course it is. If a good looking rich boy walked to her asking straight for a quickie in his lambo she would abandon this project so quickly she would only have time to leave her panties on the camera before jumping in to the car.

Maybe she would, but it shouldn't be assumed. So we still need to accept that a good looking rich boy can also be guilty of harassment ?

I will accept when I will see a single instance where a good looking rich guy will be treated the same way as a bad looking poor fellow.

Before that I will stay by my personal research in the subject that concludes in: women want to be harassed only by good looking rich men and ban everybody else.

I can agree to a certain degree, most people are less likely to say  " harassment " if its someone that they find attractive or appealing on some levels

But the one consideration is we mustn't use this as a reason to dismiss real cases or accusations  of harassment. I know its a fine line to walk because its easy to think people are inconsistent but there is a difference

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

One question, how is donating money to this organisation help with stoping this?

They will sponsor all attractive women with free "bearded horror" make-up kits

beard-celes-photoshoped-keralites003-769

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

In a big city they probably are but most people - men AND women - aren't going to count a simple 'how are you doing' as harassment like this video apparantly does.

Again I just wanna say this not so much in regards to this issue, but a little (important) life knowledge: there ARE cities where it's typically a bad idea to respond to a stranger saying things as simple as "how are you." I'm not talking a guy with some flyers to pass out or someone obviously trying to promote a product or whatever, but some random person chatting you up. This applies to both men and women. There's sadly some unstable people out there and you simply don't know what'll trigger them, so it's best to ignore them. No eye contact, no vocal acknowledgement, no nothing. Just keep walking and if you feel followed or in danger, head towards someplace you feel safe.

While I actually do have respect for the modest and humble efforts by that Hollaback group, I also think it's still a truth that this issue cannot universally be weeded out so long as mentally unstable people walk the streets. I would dare say those men who followed her (and maybe one guy that was dressed very odd) do not count as good evidence of "harassment" in my mind solely because I question their stability. They could've easily acted weird towards anyone, but attractive people unfortunately attract crazies as well and thus have to cope with them more.

You have made an interesting point, maybe in some places you just cant take the chance of greeting someone back because they may be mentally unbalanced and will misread your intentions?

This probably isn't common but it is a valid concern

Well I come from San Francisco, and we're pretty well known for our diversity. We house everyone, including loons like Anita. Little known fact (which I wish was more known because IMO this is the most beautiful true story that humanity as a collective has to offer) but San Francisco once had an emperor: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton

I can't really speak for other major cities, but I do know the Bay Area is an example where yes, we house the crazies so people know to be "on guard" around strangers. I would definitely imagine New York to be similar in this regard, and I'm sure there's plenty of other cities around the globe that would practice the same habits of being careful who you talk to or acknowledge.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

City people have personal space issues. Harassment is repeated attempts to make clearly unwanted contact. Saying hello is not harassment. People are largely egotistical morons. Two or three of those instances were a bit creepy.

Arrange these sentences as you see fit.

Edited by Kroney
  • Like 3

Dirty deeds done cheap.

"A friend of me explained to me that saying "How are you?" and stuff to a woman on the street is the first step to being a rapist.."

Wrong.

The first step to being a rapist is being a man.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Is this video a joke? Most of these people aren't even "harassing" her.  Most of these "horrible comments" are just laid back compliments, the others are just wishing her a good day. 

No its a serious video that is attempting to highlight the issue of harassment directed towards some women who walk the streets of any large city

Normally I am very supportive and in agreement of these types of developments but I am not convinced that this video accurately raises a real issue in this example ?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

It must be a very sad place where you live in.

I (or people here) never had any issues with people greeting you or approaching you. Maybe because a lot of people here are tourists asking for direction or something.

But in general I don't have this fear of insane people around every corner. If normal looking people greet you politely you respond politely.

I did run into a few crazy people on the streets, but those were the one that talk to themselves and you wonder what they are doing on the streets and not in a loony bin.

That video looks so staged it's hillarious.

I imagine it's annoying when you're in a hurry, people always greeting you and trying to stop you.

But I have to say, a lot of those guys made me cringe, it's really creepy just walking beside her for 5 minutes .. why are people so bad at reading social ques? There are a lot of good ways to get people's attention if you really want it. Not just "hey girl!" - how are they even supposed to respond to that?

Desperate guys do weird ****. Other than that, no saying "hi" or "have a nice evening" is not harassment, it's unwanted attention.. But I get that too from drunk people etc at night and calling it harassment is overreacting imo.

edit: maybe we should include a "social interaction" course for young teenagers in school heh.. Seriously I wish I could show you guys some of the crazy stuff kids do in night clubs. My favorite was standing next to a guy who panicked and opened a girl with "hi,.. eh, before we continue you should know I have herpes..."

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Perhaps if we did that it would change "harassment" into "meh, he seems all right"..

Fortune favors the bald.

I (or people here) never had any issues with people greeting you or approaching you. Maybe because a lot of people here are tourists asking for direction or something.

But in general I don't have this fear of insane people around every corner. If normal looking people greet you politely you respond politely.

I did run into a few crazy people on the streets, but those were the one that talk to themselves and you wonder what they are doing on the streets and not in a loony bin.

Again just to clarify, obviously you can pick up on people who have different motivations (tourist, lost or confused person, someone who needs help), but I just said that as general advice for visiting big cities. I would agree with the desire to not respond to those people though. My mom used to greet people like that and she got followed by the crazies CONSTANTLY until people finally told her to stop being an idiot and acknowledging them.

Wasn't saying "omg be paranoid at all times," it's just generally a good idea to seriously size people up and unless a practical motivation is obvious (business, requesting help, etc), best not to acknowledge in bigger cities. And again that's exclusive for bigger cities, not everywhere else.

But I have to say, a lot of those guys made me cringe, it's really creepy just walking beside her for 5 minutes .. why are people so bad at reading social ques?

You mean it's really creepy just walking beside him for 5 minutes. The dude just walks, she is clearly trying to walk at the same speed as him. The guy even looks at her with "wtf are you doing" stare few times.

And following someone who is heading the same way is harassment? It's the most efficient way of walking or driving. Just set yourself behind someone heading the same way and you can mostly drift off in thoughts.

No dude, that's obviously not what is  happening. He is walking next to her and making it quite uncomfortable

John Milton 

Again just to clarify, obviously you can pick up on people who have different motivations (tourist, lost or confused person, someone who needs help), but I just said that as general advice for visiting big cities. I would agree with the desire to not respond to those people though. My mom used to greet people like that and she got followed by the crazies CONSTANTLY until people finally told her to stop being an idiot and acknowledging them.

Wasn't saying "omg be paranoid at all times," it's just generally a good idea to seriously size people up and unless a practical motivation is obvious (business, requesting help, etc), best not to acknowledge in bigger cities. And again that's exclusive for bigger cities, not everywhere else.

John Milton 

I imagine it's annoying when you're in a hurry, people always greeting you and trying to stop you.

But I have to say, a lot of those guys made me cringe, it's really creepy just walking beside her for 5 minutes .. why are people so bad at reading social ques? There are a lot of good ways to get people's attention if you really want it. Not just "hey girl!" - how are they even supposed to respond to that?

The one guy who was trying to talk to her whilst following her definitely was a creep and that was what I'd consider harassment, but on the other hand the video includes some random guy just walking in the same direction as her for a couple minutes, neither looking at her nor initiating conversation, she could've at least intentionally slowed down for a bit and seen if he'd do the same if she wanted to a label him as an evil harassing meanie, putting that in a harassment video almost evens the other thing out, only almost though. Sure a lot of that catcalling stuff is annoying, but on the other side of the fence it's annoying how blatantly obvious it can be that someone you aren't looking at and aren't talking to is thinking "God this guy is a creep he must want to rape me or something, ****ing mysogynist leave me alone.". Random strangers giving you excessive sexual compliments is probably really annoying and intrusive, but random strangers crossing the street late night because they're afraid of you, with no provocation, is downright insulting.

No its a serious video that is attempting to highlight the issue of harassment directed towards some women who walk the streets of any large city

Not sure if trolling..... :getlost:

My girlfriend has talked a lot about this, the difference of walking around (mostly in the evening but sometimes during the day as well) alone versus when I'm with her. She feels that some men seem to feel "invited" to comment or whatever seemingly just for the fact that she's walking around alone. Whereas when I'm walking with her, people see that she is "taken" already and thus it's not OK to encroach upon another man's territory.

It's a pretty harsh view but unfortunately I think it holds true for many people.

I don't go out that much but a few times I've been "accosted" by drunk women outside clubs, shouting after me and stuff like that and it's... I feel it's pretty creepy. I'm sure there are guys who shrug that off, think it's all fun or whatever but I found it pretty annoying and not OK to be honest. And that is just a small, small sampling of what I think many women are faced with in every day life.

If I were a woman out late at night I would... well, first off I'd do pretty much anything to *avoid* being out at night I think (which is so very wrong in itself, that it has to be like that), but you bet I'd take long walks to avoid men.

• Like 4

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

He talks to her first, standing on the street of the right, then he follows her .. it even says in the subtitles "same guy".

Thought it was two different other guys saying those two things, sorry about that. To be fair though, he was already walking in that direction, he merely slowed down whilst talking to her, then went back up to his regular speed.