Dead Island 2

Katphood

I didn't like Dead Island, it was a game I enjoyed for about an hour, maybe an hour and a half, but I quickly grew tired of it because the game was so relentlessly tedious and repetitive.  I didn't bother with Riptide when I found out if was essentially a copy & paste of the first game.  The one hope I had for DI2 was that it was being handled by a different dev, so maybe they would bring some much needed changes to the formula.  Making the game more MMO-ish isn't exactly what I had in mind.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I finished the first one and I did enjoy it, its not as good as Dead Rising but it was fun exploring the resort and doing some of the quests

I'll play this one but later when its on a Steam sale

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I will admit, I want to kill zombies in SF.

Me too. The presentation is amazing, no question about that, but didn't these guys make Spec Ops: The Line?! I thought the writing on that game was great. What I see on this video(the way the developer emphasizes that the game does not have a story) is a game that is similar to Destiny in many ways which isn't really a good thing.

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

• 2 months later...

I almost "got into" the first one...or at least, it was a passable way to pass time. But I was hit with the save bug where every time I logged off, all progress was wiped and I had to start at the beginning again. So that was that. At this point zombies are so tired in media that there has to be something more to gameplay than just running around offing them with chainsaws or weedwhackers or whatever to interest me. eg, smooshing zombies isn't my motivation.

But ... will it have offline LAN co-op? That might make it a sale for me. Otherwise...nah. (quick search indicates it probably doesn't, tho)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Whatever happened to shooting at people.. online..

It's in the indie zombie-apoc/survival genre, apparently. Not that I'd know personally.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I liked the original Dead Island. The crafting was fun, the story and the characters were entertaining, the game world was fun to explore and the gun handling was just awesome! It wasn't exactly easy to hit the enemies but with precise aiming and timing you could take out foes in a very realistic manner which felt very rewarding. I still haven't played Dead Island: Riptide.

Edited by Cat Food

Just to be clear, Dead Island was a first-person Diablo clone with zombie asthetic, crafting and an mmo quest sytem thrown together. A lot of people were expecting a zombie survival game the likes of which nobody had ever seen with a strong story, in large part because that's how the dumbass/actually quite brilliant marketing team pitched it as. It's noteven remotely, but once you get into the city and start getting access to a good selection of weapons and crafting recipies/items then the game really is quite good. Was very buggy at launch though and the matchmaking did kind of suck even after they fixed it. Another problem for the series was that Borderlands does this all much better.

Isn't the first Dead Island all about melee combat? From what I've seen of it there are barely any guns in the game.

Yes, about 80 percent of the time you will be using melee weapons. You come across guns every once in a while.

First DI was a miserable grinding with level scaling and overall a boring ****. From the gameplay I can't say if devs fixed all the crap that made DI so mediocre and forgettable,

From what I understand, a different dev team is making DI2. Techland is making Dying Light because they didn't like the direction that the publisher wanted them to take with their second game.

• Like 2

First DI was a miserable grinding with level scaling and overall a boring ****. From the gameplay I can't say if devs fixed all the crap that made DI so mediocre and forgettable,

From what I understand, a different dev team is making DI2. Techland is making Dying Light because they didn't like the direction that the publisher wanted them to take with their second game.

Interesting. Dying Light does seem to have more life in it:

• Like 2

Interesting. Dying Light does seem to have more life in it:

Wow that looks great fun, I like the way you run on the roofs and avoid the Zombies 

Edit :  Also I see you don't necessarily appear to be a "goodie" like where they ask you to get a copy of that scientists research ?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela