Did you use ability hotkeys in 333?

BMac

36 members have voted

1. 1. Did you use ability hotkeys in 333?

• What are you talking about?
    • I heard about that but couldn't figure it out.
    • No, I found them but didn't use them.
    • Yes, I used them.

In BB 333, we added the ability to bind hotkeys to abilities on each character's ability bar.  Are they useful?  Did you even figure out that this was an option?  Your feedback here.

Hotkeys are default QWERTY.  You bind them by pressing the key while mousing over an ability in the bar.

• Like 5

I didn't even know how to set them, and didn't want to look in the Options > Controls because I heard there was a bug in which keys, once bound, cannot be unbound. (Sounds like a prophecy out of Lord of the Rings.)

Including the bound key in the ability/spell tooltips, a la Knockdown (W), would be really helpful here. (If it's there I might have missed it.)

Edited by PrimeHydra

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

Generally don't use hotkeys other than those provided for pause, select all, etc and have almost never made any changes or assigned something to a hot key myself but I think it's a good idea to have the capability. :thumbsup:   :)

Edited by wanderon

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I figured out there were there eventually, but that was only when I checked the options menu and saw the new binds available for them. Perhaps add a loading tip about them.

Haven't used them yet, because I assume they are bound to action slot numbers - each action bar is different for each character so hotkeys would not be uniform I don't think.

I use hotkeys in DotA 2 because it's required to act quickly and the hotkeys are uniform for each unit, in this game since action bars are dynamic and different for each character and not designed like the IE games, I think that makes them less useful IMO (although I definitely see their merit).

Edited by Sensuki

I just tried them ... you can add duplicates of the same ability to the action bar in some instances. I'll see if I can submit a bug report about it.

For anyone that's tried them here's how it works.

You have to mouse over the ability/spell you want to assign to a hotkey and then you press the hotkey to assign it - so you mouse over a spell, let's say Fireball, and you press Q. That will create a new action bar slot with the Fireball spell. To remove the slot, you mouse over the slot and press the hotkey button again (in this instance, Q) and it removes it.

Instructional video incoming.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Well, never knew about it, but then again I didn't play much with the new build yet.

It seems pretty cool.

Just note, that R is for resting on default...

Small issue: if you already gave an ability a hotkey, say Q, you can't change it to another one, without pressing Q again to disable it. It should be able to bounce right into a new key in my opinion.

✔ Certified Bat Food

I didnt register them.

I can see how they would be useful.

I would have to get used to them but I see myself just clicking the icons instead. Maybe.

Ill try to use them more often to see if they add anything. Its a nice addition regardless and can see it being useful in slow motion and real time even if it may end up making the combat feel like a mirco-intesive MOBA.

This was the one biggest feature I was looking forward to. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to play the beta much since my angry rant a while back (I've been burned too many times). When I did play, I couldn't figure it out.

I'll give more feedback when I get a chance to play with it. On the weekend or something.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

• 2 weeks later...

So having finally played with the hotkeys, I'd say they're better than nothing, but they weren't exactly what I was hoping to see. I would much rather have context sensitive hotkeys similar to how DotA2's work for invoker and some of the more complex heroes. I want to bind the same four keys to multiple spells based on the hierarchy of the button.

So for example, let's say my frimoire has these spells per level (with their associated hotkey):

level 1: chill fog (Q), minoletta's minor missles (W), slicken (E), fan of flames ®

level 2: combusting wounds (Q), ray of fire (W), rolling flame (E), necrotic lance®

level 3: noxious burst (Q).

I would set a hot key for each spell and I could set a hot key (same one) for the spell level to cast. So leve l1 is Q level 2 is W, level 3 is E.

If I want chill fog I would hit QQ. Minoletta's QW. Slicker QE.

If I want noxious burst then it would be EQ. Combusting wounds is WQ.

etc etc

This of course would be most useful to the multiple spells classes like druids, chanters, priests, wizards.

However I can see all classes having their abilities categorized into smaller subsections so that the control scheme can be used for all classes.

For example, fighter abilies or barbarian abilities can be categorized into per rest (Q), per encounter (W), etc etc.

Of course, if a player wants to just bind a single ability, they can do the same thing, by just picking that hotkey.

Context-sensitivity. Bugs galore if implemented and would take a good bit of time to get right.

But it seems like its too late for something like this design. One can still hope.

• Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I don't think it would be too tricky. If you can click it with a mouse (LvL X spell list), then you can execute the same code with a keypress. *shrug*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u