[333] The top 3 things I hate about PoE right now [spoilers]

Hormalakh

1: I absolutely hate the load times for the levels. I don't have a high-end computer, yes, but I can still play the game. However, the fact that I have to load all my characters into each map even when I enter a building in Dyrford make this absolutely soul-draining. This needs to change. Entering a house or the top floor of a building does not require a loading screen and I should be able to split my party when doing this. That was the IE way. Anything less is just not IE.

2: Combat elsewhere is locking out my party. I entered the Dyrford ruins through the tanner's back room and immediately, a "boar companion" was beset elsewhere on the screen. Not within my vision. Nowhere near me. This places my entire party in some locked-down status that forbids me from resting, exiting the level, and a bunch of other stuff that I can't be bothered to ennumerate right now. I understand the need for proper difficulty and forbidding "cheesing" from players, but this is bugged as all hell and really limits what players can do when playing the beta. The devs need to come up with a better way of doing this and an option to exit the combat state.

3: Constant crashes and unstable builds that make my game crash during loading/saving, etc and the reintroduction of bugs in the game where they previously did not exist. Everytime my game crashes, I lose the drive to play the game. At this point, I'm beginning to become concerned that the game will never be stable and that my backing this game was a terrible mistake. Whenever the game crashes, I think back to the incredibly high load times, the buggy mess, and the possibility of a crash mid-game. It's turned me off several times and I'd much rather play another game instead of Pillars.

There are multiple other issues with the beta, but at this point, these three are seriously concerning and making this the worst gaming experience I've ever had. Yes, yes I know it's a beta. But at some point, I would expect that the gaming experience would start to improve. At this point, the base game without all additional content is difficult to enjoy. I am beginning to think that this is nothing like what an IE game would be.

• Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: eMachines
       System Model: EL1352G
               BIOS: Default System BIOS
          Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 220 Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3584MB RAM

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6670
       Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
          Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6758)
           DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6758&SUBSYS_E195174B&REV_00
     Display Memory: 2551 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 1016 MB
      Shared Memory: 1535 MB

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

My DXdiag:

The crashes are sort of all over the place though, it isn't a singular thing. I've reported a few crashes (most of them occurred during v257), but most of the bugs that I report are just completely ignored. Oh well.

My DXdiag:

Hormalakh, on 28 Oct 2014 - 7:19 PM, said:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)

Propably that's your problem right here.

I saw somewhere (in this forums) that changing to Windows 64-bit, without changing any hardware, improves the game immensely.

• Like 1

Ahh yep - 32-bit windows ... there you go.

Load times and Frame Rates are worse for me this build, but it's still stable.

WTB Fix for jerky character movement though / Microstutters.

Edited by Sensuki

Yeah. I have 64-bit and 16 GB RAM with an SSD - and the loading times are barely noticeable. I've hardly crashed at all in PoE BB as far as I can recall. It can be a bit FPS intensive at times.

My three frustrations are:

1. Combat.

2. Combat.

3. Combat.

All the rest is shaping up nicely, and stuff that aren't perfect is easily tweaked.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Yup... install 64-bit Win7. If you bought a physical copy, you should already have 64-bit media. Assuming you're legit, the license covers both versions.

At the very least, you'll then be able to use all 4GB of the RAM you've already got installed.

• Like 1

Yeah it's probably a result of 32bit windows and not enough memory, on my machine PoE tends to use about 2.5GB's (and there are probably memory leak bugs) with 32Bit windows depending on your graphics card and the amount of other stuff you have running you may not have that much available for the game (seeing 32bit windows can't usually allow access to more than about 3GB with out having to do some funky stuff).

It's likely things might improve near the release of the game when the devs start look at optimisation and minimising memory usage, but that isn't likely to happen soon...

My main issue with the 333 build is that all of a sudden several bugs have appeared where there were none before.

Flame cone consists of laggy speading white rectables, the Merdreth boar companion now starts its infinite death-resurrection loop as soon as combat starts, combat enemies become untargetable (green health bar) even though they and your party keeps attaking them but they can do damage to you and your party cant do the same to them.

My second main issue is that they only allow us ONE skill point per level when everything has been meshed into a great number of skills, thy dont allow us to pick a skill at the start (several of the skills only make sense if you pick them as a "background" skill like expert survior and all the other +4 skills) and that they havent ajusted the BB party or the enemies to the new system, resulting in some extremely wonky interactions were the BB party are useless. So basically the whole system change, though I see how it can be good if they polish it and allow us to pick more than one skill at a time at certain points in the game, like at the start. Or have some skills like + survival be only available as quest rewards/trainers. I like trainers in rpgs.

Edited by Fiebras

That's pretty much the case, yep.

All animal companions call the PartyMemberAI class, I think the specific reference is something like someobject.GetComponent<PartyMemberAI>

Edited by Sensuki

I have not had much issue with the boar with 333 - still a bug as it still doesn't "die" completely but the party comes out of combat mode (and stays out) and the boar just sits dormant occasionally flashing the red circle under it's feet on & off so quickly I found it impossible to "catch it" with a pause in order to try to target it to see if it could be killed...

(then I realized there was no kill XP anyway and we went on about our business) :devil:

This was the case with 2 of the three characters I've fooled with in 333 (the other one died at Medreths hands and as far as I know the boar survived and is still happily digging truffles somewhere)...

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...