Courtesy ingame.

Niccolado

Just started the newly patched PoE game, and love it very much! There are still some bugs to be sorted out, but all in all this looks like a huge improvement to the game! So a huge pat on the back to the devs for a great job! Fantastic!!

There is however one tiny weeny minor insignificant thing that still bugs me, if not the game, and that is the chat with Hendyna - and possibly others too - and that deals with courtesy... :

When you as a player asks Hendyna to see the goods for sale you select the chatline: "Show me your wares". And to be honest, that bugs me a litte for the lack of common courtesy.... After all, it is also a situation where common courtesy is part of the trade i think; Sale! So, my question is to you all: do you think that line is OK as it is, or should the line really been something like "Show me your wares, please" ?

I know theres more weightier bugs in this game, but still i feel courtesy have its role to play in conversations, and specially in a salesconversation!

I'm not in the bb, but if I understand you correctly, you're saying someone in your party is saying, "show me your wares." You're requesting that the player or party member has a bit more personality in how he asks to see the goods right? I think there should be some kind of personality or lore option that allows things like that to come up. It's difficult to read context in writing. Sometimes our inner chatter is more harsh than it's meant to be. I've had many an internet argument because someone misread what I typed for similar reasons. I could see something being added to tweak that request, but maybe they could have certain characters have a distinct dialog option based upon the personality they've designed. However I think your party leader should have final say so unless it's a scripted event. 

I'm not in the bb, but if I understand you correctly, you're saying someone in your party is saying, "show me your wares." You're requesting that the player or party member has a bit more personality in how he asks to see the goods right? I think there should be some kind of personality or lore option that allows things like that to come up. It's difficult to read context in writing. Sometimes our inner chatter is more harsh than it's meant to be. I've had many an internet argument because someone misread what I typed for similar reasons. I could see something being added to tweak that request, but maybe they could have certain characters have a distinct dialog option based upon the personality they've designed. However I think your party leader should have final say so unless it's a scripted event. 

What I am trying to say is, I wish my characters in PoE had a bit more courtesy in their chatlines. When you go shopping and ask the shopowner to show you his wares you usually is polite about it. Otherwise he might throw you out of tripple the price! :p Politeness goes a long way they say. Anyway, its nothing important. I just wondered what you all thought about it. And it was not to annoy the devs piling up more things for them to change! Hehe...

I always thought "show me your wares" was a traditional greeting to a merchant.

Imagine it said with a friendly smile - the use of 'please' may not be culturally required in this part of the world in order to convey courtesy - merely the tone.  (It's being translated from Glanfathan after all :p )

Including just the line without 'please' allows us to roleplay it with different tones according to our character without the need for Obs to write a few different lines:

"Show me your wares, or else"

"Show me your wares, quickly, I've little time"

"Show me your wares if you think your little shop has anything of value to a grand adventurer like myself."

"Kindly show me your wares, good merchant."

"Can I 'ave a look at yer wares, please sir?"

etc

There are, of course, times when you want a few different responses because the other party will react differently.  (And I hate it when those are unclear and I think it's a nice tone when the writer thought it a harsh tone).  But this isn't one of those times to make the effort since the reaction is the same (it's just a 'trade' button).

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Imagine it said with a friendly smile - the use of 'please' may not be culturally required in this part of the world in order to convey courtesy - merely the tone.  (It's being translated from Glanfathan after all :p

Always found it slightly strange how much anglophones use the word "please". Where I live it's only used if you are really asking for a favor, or are being extremely formal, neither of  which is likely in a marketplace.

Edited by Lychnidos

I remember reading a post one time by Josh (I think) on writing player dialogue in a CRPG. Basically, you want to be as neutral as possible when there's only one dialogue option. If I'm role playing a rude bastard, I wouldn't want the only option to be a polite one. So they use a completely neutral line that (as some have pointed out) can be taken a number of different ways. Obviously the ideal would be to have like 5 different ways of saying it "for flavor", but OE only has limited resources (plus it could bloat up the dialogue trees quite a bit).

• Like 1

Obviously, the dialogue option list should appear as follows, ideally:

1. Might I, perchance, gaze upon your merchandise? *soulful stare*

2. You there, merchant! I demand that your goods be presented to me this instant!

3. I... see wares, yes?

4. You're really pretty. Let us conceive offspring whilst I view your inventory.

5. *Kill the merchant and view his wares*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

^You forgot:
"Look behind you, a 3 headed monkey!" *view the wares while the merchant is distracted*

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

This sword has a scratch on it can I get a discount?

I can find the same thing at Willies Weapons for half this amount and he gives green stamps!

All that for a staff? It's just a big stick!

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...