Is upgrade to Unity 5 planned, once it is out? 

The Mandate is going to do it, as it will have MUCH better performance and much prettier lights and shaders.

Also, how much multithread is in-game\is planned?

In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_

from my understanding from other developers, it would be a lot of work to transfer over from one release to another major release. from a 4.56 to 4.73 might not be a big headache, but a 4.5 to a 5.0 or 4.0 to 5.0 would probably add a fair bit of development time. I asked the same question because I want to take my project to kickstarter and I knew 5.0 was coming out during my development cycle, and they pretty much told me not to do so unless I really needed a specific feature. 

I haven't announced it yet, but it's going to either be an animated interactive storybook you read at the basic level, or depending on funding I have a lot of material it could be an episodic series, or an animated feature, or a rts game, or a film. The main character is a musical savant that grows through the course of the game into a cross between a bard, a shaolin monk, and possibly a cleric or combat mage on an epic journey. I'm still creating him visually.

• Like 1

honestly, with as many issues as they're still having with the current version, it wouldn't bother me if they transitioned to the new one if it would free them up time in development and improved performance and made the game's longevity worthwhile. However I understand if they couldn't do it, but I'd hope they at least take an honest look at it.

• 1 month later...

Coming from a non-game developer... Changing the development platform this late in the development cycle would provide little benefit and is pretty precarious. Just changing the engine wouldn't leverage the newer features and might break things that are working now, have been fully tested and received a status of release ready. Now add Murphy's Law to that.

Do you really want to risk a ton of bugs for a few new lighting features?

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

just lighting? no.

Performance? YES!

It needs more performance because why? Clearly it isn't struggling for anyone that I've seen post about the beta. It's not like their pushing the limits of Unity 4.

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

just lighting? no.

Performance? YES!

It needs more performance because why? Clearly it isn't struggling for anyone that I've seen post about the beta. It's not like their pushing the limits of Unity 4.

you aren't looking well. When opening the Inventory menu, at character creation and transitioning between areas it's struggling.

Ask Sensuki if you don't believe me.

In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_

just lighting? no.

Performance? YES!

you aren't looking well. When opening the Inventory menu, at character creation and transitioning between areas it's struggling.

Ask Sensuki if you don't believe me.

My apologies, that's the first I've heard of it. My machine is pretty beefy because I develop client server stuff and run a lot of VMs.

I wouldn't throw in the towel yet though. They're still developing, so it's entirely possible that they've not done any serious optimization passes yet. If Sensuki is still mentioning performance when we're on release candidates, then you might really think about an upgrade.

Edited by Luridis

• 2 weeks later...

I recall reading that Duke Nukem Forever kept changing its game engine to newer versions. Then they'd go back and rework the graphics assets for the updated engine. Repeat forever. Not a good model to follow.

Not only that, but that's also the reason why Daikatana was so buggy at release. They switched from the Quake engine to the Quake 2 engine thinking that it'll be an easy porting job (that would take a few weeks). Turns out that the engine was completely different that what they tought and the porting job took a full year and introduced many glitches (and it was the main cause for the bad AI and level design bugs).

• Like 1

PoE will most likely be released before Unity 5. 

Yup there is high probably for that to be the case and even if it comes out before PoE we still speak very short interval that it would be somewhat impossible to port PoE to new engine in all three platforms, without speaking problems that there will be because Unity 5 does somethings differently than Unity 4, they already had problems with Unity 4 as its Linux version didn't have all the same things as Windows and Mac versions.