Kark's feels on 3.33 Character Creation/Building

Karkarov

So I am off putt enough by some of the changes in 3.01 and 3.33 I had to make a video about it.  In general I feel this is the best the beta has been so far but some of the core basics of character creation and mechanics has just been changed a bit in the wrong direction I feel.  If you want to hear me briefly speak about what should be changed about Skill selection just skip to around 32:58 or so.  My Skills rant starts at 16:34 if you want to skip my stats rant.

http://youtu.be/SBX00na6nmQ

Feel free to share your feels, agreement, disagreement, etc etc.  I do apologize because I do get very verbose.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 12

Is that a south-east accent? Atlanta or something ?

What video editing software do you use?

Hahah @ the simulationist talk about attributes  :no: Agility might be a better name for the current version of Dex though

Edited by Sensuki

Is that a south-east accent? Atlanta or something ?

What video editing software do you use?

Hahah @ the simulationist talk about attributes  :no: Agility might be a better name for the current version of Dex though

It is an accent ;p.

I use adobe premiere pro cs6 and right now hilariously enough do video capture with the totally free if you have the right video card Nvidia Shadowplay.  The only advantage fraps or D3DGear have is the ability to hide the cursor and take screencaps directly.  D3DGear has a few mic recording options that are nice as well but I find them very hit or miss in practice, meanwhile Fraps puts out the best quality but the file size is insane and the resources used while recording very unreasonable.

Also agility is definitely a better name for the current Dex stat... or just use ITSIIC short for "Ignore This Stat It Is Crap".

Edited by Karkarov

NVIDIA Shadowplay is good. I need to edit my videos but I'm only proficient with iMovie ... except I have a PC.

Adobe premiere pro takes a lot of practice, once you get adjusted it is very nice.  Cyberlink Power Director is also pretty solid.  Most "pros" tell you to use Sony Vegas but I think it sucks, it's UI is atrocious, it is as user unfriendly as it gets, and you have to export videos to something else to actually turn them into usable files unless you just want to do straight youtube uploads.

I agree about Intellect and Resolve (although you already knew that). Action Speed is underpowered at the moment. I think there's a way to make it good, but you are right that attributes don't have anywhere near as much impact on the character build as they should - noting the difference between Armored Grace and Dexterity.

Weapon Focus gives you the same Accuracy bonus that you get from 20 in Perception as well.

• Like 3

You incidentally made the first full-length video of the new 333 build on the Internets. I don't play the beta but I've been eager to see by myself all this rage about the talents/skills, so thanks for that. With this patch I feel like PoE is slowly but confidently coming together, which is quite reassuring.

Also, +1 for everything that has been said in this video.

Edited by Rumsteak
  • Like 2

Karkarov: I really like your vid, and your voice gives me cool man-of-the-world Morgan Freeman vibes. :)

However, since I really like the concept behind that skill/talent integrated system, I feel the need to clarify one thing. Like Josh said on those SA forums, this is just a test build. In PoE, there will be plenty of skill points to pick separately as well, more or less like you did in 278 and 301, IIRC. So you will be able to make a fighter with mechanics, for instance, no problem. If he happens to like setting traps, he will get a bit better at that, that's all.

As for the stats, I more or less agree with you. Dexterity should be named Agility instead, and it should increase Action speed much more. Compare this to WL2, where it really shows if you have a character with better movement speed in combat, or action points, for that matter. And yes, perception is a must right now. When I made my druid, I only maxed two stats: Might and Perception, because this is after all a game about killing things. DPS rules!

Another agreement between you and me is thus that the attribute system doesn't accomplish what they promised us it would accomplish: We're no longer hard-pressed when we should pick stats. Once again, my ideal game would be a char creation nailbiter for each and every class. We need more ways to accomplish good DPS via all kinds of attribute combos, methinks.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Like Josh said on those SA forums, this is just a test build. In PoE, there will be plenty of skill points to pick separately as well, more or less like you did in 278 and 301, IIRC.

He didn't say that. I also think (from his other comments on SA) that the new system is not working out how he wanted.

• Like 1

Ouch! So, this is all skill points we will get distributed? Hmm, no longer a fan. This system is very cool, but it obviously need to have skill point picking as a separate entity as its base, and these integrated effects should just be pretty heavy-handed adjusters on top of that.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Ouch! So, this is all skill points we will get distributed? Hmm, no longer a fan. This system is very cool, but it obviously need to have skill point picking as a separate entity as its base, and these integrated effects should just be pretty heavy-handed adjusters on top of that.

Yeah like I said, ideal solution would be to give 1 point based on your talent pick and 1 point you just get to spend wherever you want it.

• Like 2

Ouch! So, this is all skill points we will get distributed? Hmm, no longer a fan.

Now do you understand my rage?

• Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

For a small change within the existing system. What about removing the deflection bonus from intellect and adding it to dexterity instead.  We get two more reasonable skills then the current dex/int duo.

I was thinking about that earlier and it does make good sense, especially if we change the name of Dexterity to Agility.  Just have to give something else to Int to compensate.  Maybe give it interupt chance back, IE your knowledge allows you a better understanding of opponents anatomy so you are better able to strike weak spots?

"Don't care about role-playing, but would like to see people choose the type of character they want to be". :D Yeah.. Or, it's a boon if several characters of the same class can have different types of focuses, and still make mechanical sense in the game.

It is an accent ;p.

It's a good accent.

• Like 2

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

Hello 333 ! Umm.. where is DEX ?

..?

DEX ?

Oh cool ! One less ability to worry about  :brows:

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.