Sensuki vs Medreth [Youtube Series]

Sensuki

Here is the first episode of a new series of youtube videos I will be doing - Sensuki vs Medreth. In this episode I play a Hearth Orlan Monk and use the starting BB Party on Hard.

I make an incorrect statement in the video about Accuracy and Defense when trying to explain why I chose 20 Perception. I forgot that the ACC-DEF range between -10 and +5 depends on the score of the other attribute as per the paper that Matt516 and myself did. So just ignore the first part of the statement I made in the video.

Hope you enjoy the video, I will be making more of these with different classes over the course of the patch.

Music in the video is from the Isis - Oceanic album

• Like 4

Thank you for killing that monk. Jesus Christ, I need to try and apply some of those techniques when I finally try my 4th go at the man! ...although my perception is no where near as good as yours XD 

My Blind Journey through the Beta. Join my transgender Paladin as I struggle to get to grips with the game and its mechanics. Well, I never said my first journey into an isometric RPG would be smooth, now did I?

My Adventure through Baldur's Gate. Inspired by my play of PoE, I decide to pick up a much fabled game of the genre. Join Solana as I delve into this world of weird, wonderful and annoying people.

Thank you for killing that monk. Jesus Christ, I need to try and apply some of those techniques when I finally try my 4th go at the man! ...although my perception is no where near as good as yours XD 

That's why, you are missing or grazing.  Perception is king now.

Yeah you've got to be careful with that guy, if you assign the wrong party member to tank his attacks, or even make the wrong type of PC (like a backline character), they'll just destroy your melee characters.

Gonna say that monks are a bit OP atm ... lols

I'm also finding it's generally better to ignore the Boar Companion and attack the Ranger himself. The Boar is way harder to deal damage to, so I've started just making the boar attack my Fighter at the start, and then changing targets. No point attacking it really. 

You hit your own Fighter with AoE cripple at the start, shoulda aimed it so he was in the foe-only AoE :p

How does your BB Priest have those extra spells in the action bar?

Yeah that would have been ideal, but the friendly AoE seems a little buggy at the moment so in the habit of just targeting to make sure every enemy is inside the Yellow.

The Extra spells for the BBP are from the Staff of the Guild Master, there should only be one but a bug on moving between areas sometimes duplicates them.

That reminds me of NwN2. The tank in the front, and the rest just spam AoE spells. Not very fun.

Well when you've got 4 casters (2x Wizards, 1x Druid, 1x Priest) none of which can really stay in the front line and the Thief isn't much better how else would yah play it? Now if I'd spec'd up a Barbarian or Paladin and added a ranger or similar as the companion then I'd have played somewhat differently :)

In the second video, I'm still perplexed how the Monk guy died so fast ... I have a feeling that when Rogues use Escape, they get a Disengagement attack on the person they are engaging ... going to have to look into that.

Perhaps the dice just fell massively in my favour, but in my one attempt at that battle so far I beat them all comprehensively. Fighter took some damage (maybe 1/10 of health) but the rest were unscathed. I have only played on "hard" (not PotD) since the original build.

Looking at Sensuki's attempts above, the first major difference he goes for is in his starting positions, and subsequently party division. The tactics that have worked for me across all the builds, including my v333 go:

Tank (invariably BB fighter, shield and defender active): Put him directly in the centre of the cluster of mobs. As soon as combat starts, activate his once-per-encounter defensive ability. Things will never be harder for him than at the start. His job is to tank that group of mobs. Because of the movement issues, he can attack whichever of them he choses.

Off-Tank (ideally a created Barbarian/Paladin, but in a push BB Priest or BB Wizard (if you treat him with the contempt I do) can perform this role): This guy will stand directly next to Medreth and engage conversation when people are in position. His job is to tank Medreth, and if he starts closer to Medreth than anyone else, he should do this easily.

Rogues: Start close to Medreth, but not as close as off-tank. Immediately use crippling strike on Medreth using a two-handed weapon as their opening action.

Priest: Start close to Medreth, but not as close as off-tank. Immediately use a HoT/buff in the centre of battle, then move to attack Medreth.

Wizard: Stand well off to the side, and hurl blasts towards the group surrounding the tank. I don't bother to use spells.

Plan:

While BB Fighter tanks the group and the wizard makes the best use of his blasts, the rest of the party batters Medreth. Medreth is invariably the first to fall. When he does, pause, and see which of the enemy mobs is on lowest health (apart from the boar). Focus fire on that guy. When he falls, repeat previous two steps until they are all dead.

I never attack the boar anymore. It's pointless. Since the boar shares health with the Ranger and the Ranger has less DT and Deflection - just attack the Ranger.

@Kjaamor. I haven't been fighting Medreth in the previous patches. I've been focusing on the Dyrford Crossing. That area is a lot better now, so I'm starting to branch out a bit. I have actually never completed the beta because of FPS issues in the Dyrford Ruins and Lle A Rhemen, so I figure I will just test the outer areas individually until performance is better.

Edited by Sensuki

Here's a video with a Hearth Orlan Chanter

Something strange happened here when I told my Rogue to Crippling Strike Medreth, she ended up not doing it, even though I clearly commanded her to *shrug*, so fight would have been shorter if she did.

Deep Wounds is still OP.

• Like 1