First time posting on the forum....greetings from india!

hello there...i have been quietly following pretty much everything thats been goin on, out here, on the forum and with pillars of eternity in general, the past few months....not a hardcore gamer and being from india , its just by chance that i somehow discovered this much awaited spiritual successor to the infinity engine games...but in retrospect, those days whn i would spend countless hours being absolutely enthralled and captivated by really good, deep, well written, story driven games like baldur's gate, icewind dale, planescape torment, kotor, neverwinter nights, were absolutely golden and priceless. So before anything else - OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT, u have my heartfelt thanks and respect....and really sorry i haven't backed the game or even pre-ordered a copy for myself...will do so soon

Don't know much about the technicalities of how dnd mechanics go on to contribute to the enjoyment factor of a game but whatever little time i have spent playing such games, no matter how convoluted or complicated those rules seem, they kind of had their charm - which i've grown to love over the years,

What i have gathered from the backer beta feedback and kind of imagining myself playing the game, the ATTRIBUTE system just doesn't seem to make sense to me. Ofcourse, its a new system and it might just be a case of getting used to it... but i just find myself having to FORCE myself to accept it the way it is and surrendering to the fact that this is how i'll have to play and enjoy the game. AGAIN i haven't playd the beta and just might be jumping to conclusions but i would like to take the liberty to voice some of my concerns here:-

1. MIGHT affecting both physical and magical damage is something i'm having a hard time wrapping my          head around   (just my first instinct and i am absolutely willing to spend a 100 hours with the developers if they can get me to grow a liking towards it)

2. I am not sure having NON-UNIVERSAL DUMP STATS is such a bad thing - sure i went several hours into let's say baldur's gate and realised  i was playing a fighter and  so and so stat was absolutely no use to me and and something else was more important.....i think something like that is FABULOUS 'cause it emphasizes class utility

3. COMBAT FEEDBACK: I think something sensuki has stressed on is of utmost importance here - having dfferent recovery and combat idle animations. Haven't even played the beta and i can imagine how essential that is ( AND PLEASE PLEASE have more than one attack animation per weapon)

4, PATHFINDING - Its obvious

5.  GRAPHICS - what i have seen from images and videos, i feel character shadows need to be more prominent especially AROUND THEIR FEET. they seem to be floating above the ground more often than not. Not sure, maybe looks better in-game

All things said and done, i'm really happy and excited OE has taken the initiative to do this. Really want this to be a fantastic experience.... there will be certain things a lot of us are not going to be too happy about but we'll sure as hell have a great time playin this game. CHEERS!!!

• Like 4

1. MIGHT affecting both physical and magical damage is something i'm having a hard time wrapping my          head around   (just my first instinct and i am absolutely willing to spend a 100 hours with the developers if they can get me to grow a liking towards it)

I actually chuckled at this.  I still sometimes follow the attributes discussions, but I don't take the time to post in them.  I feel exactly the same way about MIGHT as you do.  The idea doesn't bother me, the name does.  ...But it's like a lot of English words, it has layers of meaning and so it technically can mean something more than physical might.  I'll be there with you during those 100 hours letting it grow on me, brother!

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Are there dumpstats? What are they, and how are they dumpstats? Are they just less important for some builds/underpowered, or does putting points into them actually amount to zero effect?

Just curious, and haven't got BB access. Maybe there's a thread somewhere that already has answered this (in a way that makes sense for non-beta backers)?

This statement is false.

Intellect and Dexterity are currently the worst stats, and is thus dumpable on many classes. Intellect grants Deflection and Area of Effect. Deflection isn't really necessary for ranged characters (or Monks) and grants less survivability than Constitution does in most cases, such as when enemy defenses are around about the same as or higher than yours, and it only protects you from one type of attack.

The bonus to AoE is pretty small, and most of the time does not end up granting you extra DPS/seconds of durations from spells because it's rare that you'll hit any extra units because of it. Players can also make up the lack of increased AoE through smart play, such as forcing the enemy to clump together and/or pausing and positioning the AoE in the 100% most correct position to hit as many units as possible.

Many people have been leaving Intellect at 10 (base) or dropping it to 3. Many Hard and Path of the Damned players dump it to 3 on Wizards in particular, because it's terrible on them (irony)  :devil: .

Dexterity grants less DPS per point than Might and Perception do in the latest build, so you can dump that below 10 and still get a DPS benefit as long as you pump those extra points into Might or Perception as a result. 

Constitution is dumpable on ranged characters, but that's a problem with the game and not the stat itself.

Resolve is also dumpable on classes that do not have active abilities, and in the latest build it's possible to build more passive characters which makes Resolve even more useless, as if characters have no actives, then they do not benefit at all from the extra durations from effects.

I think the old Intellect (v278) of AoE and Durations together was a bit better, but that's just me.

In the previous system, you could pretty much completely ignore Perception and Resolve. The new arrays combined with the 10 is 0 system aren't much better. The only difference I guess is that instead of every character investing points into Might, Dexterity and Intellect primarily, now it depends what class you are a little bit more.

I have some ideas about how to make this better, so sometime in the future I'll probably post them somewhere.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

Intellect and Dexterity are currently the worst stats, and is thus dumpable on many classes. Intellect grants Deflection and Area of Effect. Deflection isn't really necessary for ranged characters (or Monks) and grants less survivability than Constitution does in most cases, such as when enemy defenses are around about the same as or higher than yours, and it only protects you from one type of attack.

Let's be fair, Resolve is still competing with Int.  Dex is by far the worst stat in the game right now though, no doubt about.

Investing in Dex does give you guaranteed extra DPS/duration seconds though. The AoE bonus from Intellect does not, it's highly situational.

I'm going to experiment with Intellect 3 characters because it seems pretty viable to dump the **** out of it and pump Dex for the DPS (providing Might and Per are already maxed).

Edited by Sensuki