333 Quick Impressions Thread

Sensuki

Well combat is still too fast. A level 5 Fighter cannot die in 6 seconds in Icewind Dale, no matter what enemy you are up against.

Lol, it actually sounds realistic!  I think most real-life fights/duels are concluded in a matter of seconds. :p

But I am kidding of course, it is not fun in a game if your character dies so quick. It is also certainly not much fun to destroy an enemy in seconds, that would also get repetitive and dumb.

I use shields on my paladin but I've never taken it off to see if it is better without it. I'll mess around with it when I load the game up next time.

My Blind Journey through the Beta. Join my transgender Paladin as I struggle to get to grips with the game and its mechanics. Well, I never said my first journey into an isometric RPG would be smooth, now did I?

My Adventure through Baldur's Gate. Inspired by my play of PoE, I decide to pick up a much fabled game of the genre. Join Solana as I delve into this world of weird, wonderful and annoying people.

It's probably alright on your character that tanks if you built them specifically to sit there and take it, but the BB Fighter has 22 Strength. Using a shield on him would be a waste of that damage potential IMO.

Don't get me started on characters dying quickly. Christ, 3 seconds and my rogue is a pile on the ground. Even my Paladin struggles to survive more than 10 seconds of actual (non-paused) combat if I don't have my priest constantly healing stamina. My Wizard usually is the last one standing purely because he's always in the back! Poor Wilbur...

Well combat is still too fast. A level 5 Fighter cannot die in 6 seconds in Icewind Dale, no matter what enemy you are up against.

Thank god, I thought it was just me being notoriously bad. :p

Edited by Quantics

I am not the best player, nor am I the worst - but I am getting smashed this build. BB Fighter cannot hold the line, even with the Priest spamming dedicated heals on him he still falls pretty quickly when engaged by 2-3 beetles or humanoid opponents. Tried equipping him with the Priest's Large Shield, now he can't hit anything and isn't contributing any damage and only survives a few seconds longer in comparison.

Depends on the fight though, when I get good rolls (hits, crits) I do fine, but if I graze or miss critical spells/attacks then yeah, it's a big deal. Even in the previous patches I didn't think characters had enough Health or Stamina, now it's plain that they don't. 

Edited by Sensuki

Cubiq PM sent

I honestly don't think the Lore skill is beneficial in combat really. You are going to unlock the Bestiary entries anyway, it might allow you to level up a little bit faster in the beginning of the game, but probably not by much.

Lore skill should give % crit bonus on any creature whose bestiary entry you've completed.

Also not too happy with the talent-skill ties.

• Like 2

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

The game really isn't running well at all. I hate the merger of talents and skills.

• Like 3

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

The game really isn't running well at all. I hate the merger of talents and skills.

I know, this is my main hate with this build as well. It makes it so much harder to choose your abilities and your skill points. You end up having to sacrifice something.

My Blind Journey through the Beta. Join my transgender Paladin as I struggle to get to grips with the game and its mechanics. Well, I never said my first journey into an isometric RPG would be smooth, now did I?

My Adventure through Baldur's Gate. Inspired by my play of PoE, I decide to pick up a much fabled game of the genre. Join Solana as I delve into this world of weird, wonderful and annoying people.

I know, this is my main hate with this build as well. It makes it so much harder to choose your abilities and your skill points. You end up having to sacrifice something.

I'm the only one who's having an easy time with it? :p

✔ Certified Bat Food

What class / difficulty tho?

Some classes are more powerful than others - Druids, Ciphers and Chanters were the best in v278, Rogues were amazing last patch, although this patch I'm not getting the super huge hits I was last time. Had a couple of ~120 crits on beetles, but a lot of casual hits and grazes too.

e: it's because of the increased Deflection. Just crit a Wolf for 162. 30 points in Deflection on Stone Beetles does a lot :p

Edited by Sensuki

Performance has definitely taken a large steamy poo on my system. Probably not worth caring about now as optimization passes will come later, but still annoying.

At the very least, I think the new skill/talent system does a better job of explaining skill affects. I can understand objections, but I see some contradiction in people wanting both maximum flexibility and the ability to compartmentalize combat and non-combat talents. At some point, you have to make choices about the kind of character you want.

At some point, you have to make choices about the kind of character you want.

You could already do that in the previous system though ?

The only thing I thought was superfluous about it was that it was needlessly complicated to assign skill points at level up. You spent like 15 mouse clicks leveling up skills with triangular points that don't actually give you a bonus until you hit the threshold - Why?

That's the only good thing about the new system, is that you no longer have to do that, but it would still be nice to choose your skills, rather than having to accept whatever the talents have.

At some point, you have to make choices about the kind of character you want.

You could already do that in the previous system though ?

The only thing I thought was superfluous about it was that it was needlessly complicated to assign skill points at level up. You spent like 15 mouse clicks leveling up skills with triangular points that don't actually give you a bonus until you hit the threshold - Why?

That's the only good thing about the new system, is that you no longer have to do that, but it would still be nice to choose your skills, rather than having to accept whatever the talents have.

Yea, I didn't really understand the point of the threshold skill system. 

Played a bit more. It feels like the game feels yet a bit more visually clear to my eyes, just how characters and such look, but might be my imagination playing tricks. Either way, it's fun watching the game come together in that way. While new bugs crop up (and there are several new for this build), I think the game feels better and better with each build overall.

I'm still not sold at all one the coupling of skills and talents, and I think it feels downright weird. I'd still much prefer when we got control over the skills directly, even if that system felt a bit weird also.

I am however immensely glad about the new talents overall. It's almost a thing of... the more the better really, I hope they'll come up with even more. I think this is one area where the game doesn't really need *balance* that badly. Of course, all should feel viable, but just having a wealth to choose from here makes it much more fun to build a character.

However, I still think the long list of all the talents is just... not good. Put the various talents under different tabs or something, having a long list like that just makes it annoying. I'd also prefer it if there were no healing talents because... well, I dunno, it just cheapens the health-regen a bit.

Glad we have a conversation history in the log.

I'm liking the tips in the loading screens, ideally there would be a toggle for them but I'm liking them. They need to be spellchecked though.

Pathfinding still needs work.

Finally, about the backer NPCs... How exactly will they work in the game? I mean, you can click on them now and get a sorta ministory to read through. Is that how it's supposed to be? Feels pretty weird to me.

Edited by Starwars
  • Like 3

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Some of the spells are a bit unbalanced and can actually make fights a lot easier.

The Warding Seal level 3 priest spell does some insane damage, if you leave the enemy on it.

Just killed Medreth on Path of the damned with it, with starting gear.

Hmm, after reading the feedback I'm not finding myself overly motivated to download and try this out yet. I'm sure I will, but not feeling compelled to do so. Seems like the game is still trying to find its identity in many ways.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke