333 Quick Impressions Thread

Sensuki

get all the critter locations on every map and the most optimal way of getting all the kill xp reward Cyclopaedia pages and what critters you can avoid in subsequent playthroughs.

icon_lol.gif

LOOK AT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE OBSIDIAN

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

:lol:

Everything is a bit of a mess and I need to clean everything up. I did screen shots of the area maps and noted the locations of every critter, log entries of each reward, all the kill xp rewards, and a rough optimal way of getting the pages. I'll post what I've come up with probably tomorrow. But I found it funny when I killed the Spider Queen and the XP reward for it.

sECvqxZ.jpg

+ Icewind Dale style loading screens (although not quite as good) rendered from in game 3D level

codex_is_for.png

I actually like these loading screens better than the ones from any IE game. They're so lush and nice. ^_^

• Like 2

I like the loading screens as well, great for improving the "feel" of the game.

But as for the changes to level up system... Nonononononononono... Noooo. I wasn't amazingly crazy about the skill system before but the new system just feels terrible to me. I guess the idea was to make roleplaying ideas "flow out" a bit more naturally but this just feels backwards. No matter how one slices it, this is a numbers game and I *want* to try and optimize my characters a bit and by linking combat skills to Athletics etc etc etc, this just gets in the way of developing a build I want.

Also, choosing the talents from a looooong list from top-to-bottom is just a pain.

If the choice is between this and the previous skill system then PLEASE bring back the old system. This was not an improvement in the least as far as I'm concerned except that it's nice that the backgrounds give a mechanical change now.

Not a fan of these change at all, bleh.

Also, the "recommended" UI hints on the character creation screen, nooooo. Get rid of them, it's not needed. People who buy this game will read. And if they don't want to read, they'll figure out something is wrong and re-do after complaining a bit. Don't plaster that stuff on there, urgh. Get rid of it please.

Yeah, not a fan at all of these changes so far. Terrible.

Edited by Starwars
  • Like 5

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

No matter how one slices it, this is a numbers game and I *want* to try and optimize my characters a bit and by linking combat skills to Athletics etc etc etc, this just gets in the way of developing a build I want.

Also, the "recommended" UI hints on the character creation screen, nooooo. Get rid of them, it's not needed. People who buy this game will read. And if they don't want to read, they'll figure out something is wrong and re-do after complaining a bit. Don't plaster that stuff on there, urgh. Get rid of it please.

:lol:

Hey us powergamers need love too. :wub:

I like the loading screens as well, great for improving the "feel" of the game.

But as for the changes to level up system... Nonononononononono... Noooo. I wasn't amazingly crazy about the skill system before but the new system just feels terrible to me. I guess the idea was to make roleplaying ideas "flow out" a bit more naturally but this just feels backwards. No matter how one slices it, this is a numbers game and I *want* to try and optimize my characters a bit and by linking combat skills to Athletics etc etc etc, this just gets in the way of developing a build I want.

Also, choosing the talents from a looooong list from top-to-bottom is just a pain.

If the choice is between this and the previous skill system then PLEASE bring back the old system. This was not an improvement in the least as far as I'm concerned except that it's nice that the backgrounds give a mechanical change now.

Not a fan of this change at all, bleh.

Yeah, not a fan at all of these changes so far. Terrible.

I agree with these sentiments. 

I don't like the new system and I think the loading tips should be an option, I'd rather not have them there and just be able to look at the art.

Overall, I must say that this is a pretty big improvement over 301. What I like after 2 h of playing:

-All the talent options (It feels a bit like D&D 3.5, which I love. It feels like I can build all sorts of fighters, rogues, etc. Thumbs up!)

-The new skill system. This is more fun and bound to our RPG-characters per se. The other was just meh, almost like most skills in 3.5 D&D.

-The combat difficulty, at least on normal.

-I like the combat feedback much better now, especially that light-snake effect circling around square UI icons, even spells. Perfect.

-They have indeed made character models less ghost-transparent and ashen. Yay! It's more or less on par with Wl2. I guess they did call InXile after all.

-The new xp system feels like a nice compromise. I like that new xp trickle in gradually as the bestiary gets filled  - a very neat idea. Exploration xp, I can live with that. The more, the merrier, and this system actually works - I've played two outdoor maps with it.

-The spell icons, the talent icons, the general UI feel is getting pretty darn good.

-The loading screens are wonderful.

-In short, this is how I expected the beta to be back in August. PoE has left its Alpha feel, methinks. :)

Some issues:

-Pathfinding is bad. I have my characters doing the shuffle dance indoors more often than I can count.

-Combat, if you don't pause a lot, is still too fast and messy somehow. Perhaps I should try that slomo mode?

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Actually, I should say I'm picking talents with skills that have a benefit with each for my character over another talent that might be viable but I don't choose it because it has a skill that serves no benefit to me. Some people might see that as powergaming. I'm trying to get both from a combat and non-combat (usually dialogue) benefit with the one choice.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

I am the opposite. I pick the Talents for the Talents (playing on Hard), to me tying the skills to talents is garbage because it reduces out of combat roleplaying. 

I would rather choose my skills, because most skills don't matter in combat and having a bunch of low skills is bad for out of combat roleplaying.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

It looks like some of the AI auto attack clauses have been fixed - The Priest will cast spells properly in melee again, but characters still change auto attack targets against the player's will. I think it's connected to Engagement, when a character is engaged, they turn and auto-attack the person that engaged them. Pretty annoying.

Even if they *do* decide to keep the skill/talent system as is (my first impressions of that are really bad but I do need to give it some time also to see how it feels in the long run), they *desperately* need to fix the talent choice screen. Just having a long boring list like that is just... no. It makes me want to bypass the leveling process more than anything.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

It removes freedom of choice from character building. If I want to play a Stealthy Fighter character, I don't want to be forced to take certain talents to achieve it that are completely useless to my character build. If I want to play a character with a certain talent build then I am pidgeonholed into having a set skill array, rather than choosing what I want to have.

That's lame as a horse with a broken leg.

By the way Cubiq, I just made a mod that removes Melee Engagement, if you'd like to try it.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 4

I am the opposite. I pick the Talents for the Talents (playing on Hard), to me tying the skills to talents is garbage because it reduces out of combat roleplaying. 

I would rather choose my skills, because most skills don't matter in combat and having a bunch of low skills is bad for out of combat roleplaying.

Totally understand. For example, my Cipher likely won't pick a talent where it's tied to a skill like Stealth or Mechanics even though the talent might be good in combat. What I'll do is look at all the talents that have say the Lore skill attached to them and then pick the best talent out of them. And that talent is just as good as the other one I didn't pick and I get both the talent and skill.

Or there might be a talent with both Lore and Survival which I can use both skills for dialogue but the talent is just as useful. What I'm doing is roleplaying to a degree or some people might see it as metagaming and trying to open up more dialogue choices but also those talents are still useful in combat.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

Cubiq PM sent

I honestly don't think the Lore skill is beneficial in combat really. You are going to unlock the Bestiary entries anyway, it might allow you to level up a little bit faster in the beginning of the game, but probably not by much.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

I think there's a bit of misunderstanding between us. I'm not picking the skills for combat. I'm picking the talent for combat and the skills for the non-combat dialogue options.

Here's an example of Dual Wielding compared to Beast Slayer. Both seem to be good. Dual Wielding may look better. But I don't want Athletics for my character. I'd rather the Lore and Survival skills for the non-combat dialogue options. So if I choose Beast Slayer, I get a bonus to damage against critters in combat. And I get a bonus for the dialogue options out of combat with the Lore and Survival dialogue checks.

Two weapon

tGuyfax.jpg

Beast Slayer

M95Uqvt.jpg

• Like 2

No time to play today made a ranger and started the game went to the inn and sent the orlan on her way. Couple of things I noticed:

1) doesn't seem to be an option to create your own formation anymore or at least I could not figure one out.

2) why does a ranger get two auto talents to harden the wizard arcane veil?

3) nice loading screens!

4)like the lists for abilities etc better than the tiny icons you have to mouse over to see - 

5) Noticed I did not get any of the extra dialoge options with the new auto skill assigning system (did not pay much attention to what skills I was getting just chose the abilities/talents I wanted without weighing them in. don't like this so far - I want to be able to choose both my combat skills and non combat skills to make the build I am looking to roleplay.

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...