What noises make you cringe?

Longknife

Surely plenty of you have encountered a sound that makes you actually physically react in a way that can only be described as cringing. The staple example is nails on a chalkboard, but if honestly don't find that all that bad. It's bad, but not the worst.

The worst for me....?

1) A dull pencil on paper. Prefer pens for this reason, and always made my pencils sharp in school. Something about the dull pencil against e paper, the feel or the sound, always made me cringe. Mechanical pencils are also preferred for the same reason since they don't dull.

2) Ever gotten a package and pulled styrofoam packaging out of a cardboard box, and the packaging scraped against the sides of the box as you removed it? This is my worst one. I cringe every time. No idea why, but when I receive a package I try to scrape them as little as possible, or if it can't be helped, pull them out quick.

Was just curious what makes people cringe. It's an odd little reaction psychologists can't really explain. Wanted to know the scope of things that make you guys cringe and was curious if anyone maybe matches up with the things I hate hearing.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

It really is a polarizing issue if every thread gets derailed into an attack towards SJWs.

To Op:

I saw a documentary a few years back that stated that sounds that make us cringe are similar to the sound that predators make. Such as nails on chalkboard being similar to the screech of a bird of prey.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well then, predators include babies, cats, and taco shop music.

Yeah apparently an ancestor of mine got eaten by styrofoam packaging.

In all seriousness though I looked it up before posting this and all I got from it is that psychologists know it's "something very primitive" going on in our brains and what regions are responsible. The why of it - at least in articles I read - was never listed or hypothesized on. Predatory sounds certainly isn't outrageous though, but there's some holes in that too like why don't cringe noises inadvertently give you a dose of adrenaline if that's the case. (Or maybe those aren't holes. I'm no neuroscientist)

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Doors slowly creaking open tend to put me on edge.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Babies crying, chalk on chalkboard, nails on chalkboards, cutlery on porcelain, metal cutlery in metal pots (Though steel on cast iron is fine for some reason), static noises/white noise drives me insane aswell.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Someone slurping soup or other food

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Someone slurping soup or other food

That drives my wife nuts, and I love to do it.  It's amazing we've made it this long!

The folks complaining about baby cries crack me up.  If you don't live with one, you really have no clue.   :aiee:

• Like 2

Just to clarify...

"Cringe" is an actual physical reaction guys. Like you get goosebumps, grit your teeth, bite your lip, or something else like that. Some of you are obviously making jokes, others seem to just be naming sounds you hate, but not neccesarily ones that provoke an unexplainable physical reaction.

In that case..

Vacuum cleaner.

Gives me goosebumps and an overall pleasant, warm feeling. Especially if I'm in the bed when someone is vacuuming.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

In that case..

Vacuum cleaner.

Gives me goosebumps and an overall pleasant, warm feeling. Especially if I'm in the bed when someone is vacuuming.

...Cringe is also an unpleasant feeling. xD

Though you do bring up another point, in that there do seem to be sounds that naturally relax people aswell. Typically the sound of rushing water seems to classify as this.

When I'm in bed reading or something, and the vacuum is on, I feel like I'm back in the womb.

Worm, cozy, relaxed.

Bonus points if it's raining outside.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Phones ringing. Pisses me off something chronic. Sucks to be anyone trying to call me.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Any sound coming out of the mouth of a child after 1pm on my days off. 5 hours with children is too much, but then I have to put up with another 6-7. If you are an introvert, do not have children.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg