Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Tale

Old thread.

For instance the worst villain of the second Witcher game is Bernard Loredo, without a doubt he is walking filth, and one of the nastiest examples of humanity i've ever seen portrayed in games. Still I like the character, he's well made, clever and believable. I certainly don't think this is an attack against me, or that the developers hate me, hate themselves or any other white man. I'm not so concieted.

I don't think you understand what sexism is. 

Sexism is, for example, the fact every female humanoid in the first Witcher game who the developers bothered to give a name was either (1) somebody the player-surrogate could have sex with, (2) represented by the "hunchbacked old crone" character model, or (3) the madam of a brothel.

There were many women around in the gameworld, going about their business, utterly unconcerned by Geralt or his affairs who would hardly talk with him. I wouldn't call that particularly sexist. Geralts life being saved by a woman repeatedly, his role as her tool in the battle she wages against Salamandra, his manipulation by her and his fragmentary rememberance of Yennefer. Triss was a far more effective character than Geralt, not to mention young Adda, whom was orchestrating a coup d'etat in a sexist medieval world.

I mean it's not like the game had us slaughtering masses of women again and again, like most games do with men, thoughtlessly having us slaughter thousands in graphic detail. As gaming has done since its inception. Still I wouldn't play at being a professional victim based on this, the developers aren't intentionally demeaning men or being sexist, they're just making good, fun games.

Edit: Oh sorry sexism is prejudice, stereotyping or discrimination, such as evidenced against men since the dawn of gaming.

2nd Edit: In point of fact I think one could argue both in the games and the books that though set in a sexist medieval world, the strong, independent, motivated and clever women of the Witchers world clearly demonstrate how ridiculous that sexism is. Characters such as Triss, Yennnefer, Philippa Eilhart and others serve as a subtle play against the mores of the world. Obviously this is not the clumsy, blatant preaching and moralising that many people prefer, but as a nuanced jab at the worlds status quo I find it quite nice and rather effective.

After all Ciri is far more important to multiple worlds than Geralt.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I may not agree with that sentiment but I can understand it. So one of the objectives of GG is to basically close down websites that have been very critical of the movement. That's fine, but once again how do you think that will be achieved? The obvious answer is to get various companies to pull there sponsorship. But don't you think this would have already happened by now ? Like we saw with Intel and Gamasutra? So if sponsors were going to all pull there advertising based on this GG objective why hasn't it happened?

I can give you my reason why but I would prefer you gave me your view.

BruceVC: 

I do not see GG ever ending, since it is more of a consumer protest than a movement, i predict that it will rather change into the undesired watchdog of the gaming-industry. If Gawker actually falls under, then it will send a strong signal to the industry that BS is not tolerated. Honesty, rectitude and accountability will prevail, no matter the opinion of the journalist(s).

The reason why all sponsors haven't pulled out is that they are slow and reactive in their nature. Until enough people contact them about these matters, they will stay. The last i have heard is that Kellog's are about to pull out as we speak, btw.

About the SJW-part, it is just another smokescreen for these people to feel good about themselves, they would've been communists in the 60's and fascists in the 30's. The best example is that when actual feminists are starting to approach GG instead of the journalists, then you know that it is all just BS.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

But Nonek, look at this latest trailer (which Malcador posted in the The Witcher 3 thread, all credit to him), look at how oppressed Yennefer is in this trailer.

The misogyny practically drips off the screen as she's ****ing **** up.

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

But Nonek, look at this latest trailer (which Malcador posted in the The Witcher 3 thread, all credit to him), look at how oppressed Yennefer is in this trailer.

That trailer was amazing, awesome magic and its effects

I want that bird !!!

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I want that bird !!!

That's a really sexist remark, Bruce, and I am really disappointed in you. We don't refer to girls as birds anymore, just so you know!

• Like 4

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

"GG should be asking "how can we get people like BruceVC to support us"."

Why? Bruce VC is a feminist/SJW who believes women are weak children and men - white men specifically - are racist sexist pigs who are simply rapists. Why does GG need to impress the BruceVCs?  I, for one, don't need such 'support'. I'm a gamer and I like games and believe in equality. Feminsist and SJWs do not as evidenced byu their multiple attacks on women for being women. You proclaimed us gamers did. Well, we are very much a live and still playing our games. YOU LOSE.

"If you really believe the Internet is just chaos and somehow that chaos can achieve a result then you are gong to be very, very disappointed when GG amounts to nothing"

GG has already won. It can't lose because gamers are alive and still playing games. Nice try though with your lies.

"No I need to go through the links myself before I comment. But its quite possible, it doesn't mean the website is now going to close down which seems to be an objective of some people from  GG?"

Keep spinning the facts and moving the goalposts. Typical SJW. When the plot isn't going your way you change the story.

"Can I be for "honesty and integrity" and also honestly admit that most mainstream vidyagames are pretty disappointingly sexist?"

They aren't.  But, I forgot, a game sis exist when you are able to murder 1000 men and then kill 1 woman and OMG the game hates women! HAHAHA!

"Sexism is, for example, the fact every female humanoid in the first Witcher game who the developers bothered to give a name was either (1) somebody the player-surrogate could have sex with, (2) represented by the "hunchbacked old crone" character model, or (3) the madam of a brothel."

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

That's not neccessarily sexism at all espciially when the game(s) show males in a poor light as well. They show Mr. twicther as a homicidal **** who sleeps around willy nilly. Yeha, sure shows men in a good light. L0L

One can spin anything they want.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

snip

I must not be very smart, because I can't make head or tail of this flow chart one bit...where does it start, why isn't everything connected, what's going on

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

snip

I must not be very smart, because I can't make head or tail of this flow chart one bit...where does it start, why isn't everything connected, what's going on

For a flow chart, it certainly doesn't seem to flow.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

snip

I spent a good five minutes staring at it trying to figure it out before realizing how much time I spent on the damned thing, questioning my intelligence, realizing it's just a confusing mess and then saying "aw **** it" before chatting with a ladyfriend.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Phew, i thought that i was the only one confused by that chart.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

snip

That chart, the wage gap and the 1 in 5 women will be raped, makes me believe that feminism and statistical analysis don't mix well.

• Like 3
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

snip

That chart, the wage gap and the 1 in 5 women will be raped, makes me believe that feminism and statistical analysis don't mix well.

Statistical analysis is inherently misogynistic.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I want that bird !!!

Yeah not really following this discussion but the Awesomeness is strong in this trailer.

sonsofgygax.JPG

snip

Of course they don't, women can't grasp statistics, correlation or causation. :p

Interestingly, one of the sexiest women I know is an economist/statistician. :D

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

snip

Of course they don't, women can't grasp statistics, correlation or causation. :p

Have you checked if she is a woman?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

snip

Have you checked if she is a woman?

She must be trans.

Another journalist that supports bullying.

https://archive.today/pFQ0W

Can we start calling guys like him male attention whores? They really have all the hallmarks of attention seeking behavior and narcissism 

village_idiot.gif

I guess the illogical chart is the joke or something. Should come with a trigger warning about "Project Management".

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No commentary or anything, just Leigh Alexander explaining herself.

"The avarage game journalist has matured out of putting scores on things. We're trying to look at games as cultural objects, that you cannot rate and put into a catalog, and tell gamers on whether you should buy them or not. We're out of that mileu. We do not talk about games like that anymore."

There you have it. Game journalism.

Meanwhile at #Gamergate

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy