System requirements & Q1 2015 release

"So gather your party, venture forth, and embrace adventure as you recapture the wonder, the nostalgia, and the thrill of classic RPGs with Obsidian’s Pillars of Eternity!"

Why, yes, that is exactly what I intend to do :).

Edited by mstark
  • Like 2
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

So the leaked system requirements from a few months ago were correct (although I think some might have said 20GB rather than 25GB)

Those aren't the final ones in any case though.

Edit: Or at least they are not anywhere near accurate.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

^It's the pre-rendered background bmp/png/whatever files.

In 3D games you can use repeating tiles - a small seamless brick texture and you've got every house in the village - but in PoE each pixel on each map is separate (plus the other layers of animations and depth-maps etc)

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

How do they expect to keep load times short, I wonder...(for those playing off of HDDs, anyways)

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Currently the game uses up umm ~2.5 GB RAM or so when I load it, but there are some bugs where memory footprint increases each time you load a game/enter a new area and not enough garbage collection.

They're working on the memory footprint, not sure how far they'll be able to get it down though.

• Like 1

^That's game usage RAM? - the system needs RAM too (so XP-32 might need x amount of RAM but Win-7-64 might need y amount).

In which case 4GB RAM might be needed.

They've not optimised it yet though so hopefully that 'minimum' requirement will come down.

Until they do that, they can't really give out any final system reqs.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

4GB of RAM isn't really a ton, today. For one thing, RAM's ultra cheap now.

Of course, you'd still figure a computer could handle an optimized game like this with around 2GB. Again, it really depends on your OS. Of course some system requirementseses will actually say "Windows XP - 2GB, Windows Vista/7/8, 3GB," etc. *shrug*

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

4GB seems reasonable, although higher than I expected, hopefully it's a sign the games puts RAM to good use. Over 60% of Steam users surveyed have 4GB+ and a proportion of Steam users have non-gaming PCs that play old or simple games like CS1.6 or Thomas Was Alone. 4GB does mean that a 64bit OS is required. Pre-rendered backgrounds means the GPU requirement is low, we already knew that. CPU requirement is lower than I expected. They're still optimising and testing, these minimum requirements could change, I wouldn't be surprised if the minimum RAM goes down to 3GB.

ram should be a non issue. man, think of how good uncharted 3 looked on ps3 with only 256 meg and 256 meg video memory. These guys are not doing anything that I've seen remotely intensive for your computer to run it. If they are, they're doing a good job of hiding it. Not to sound negative in any way, but I was just stating it didn't seem they're trying to do anything spectacular with the performance of this game to make it demanding at all. But if you're running a computer in 2014 and still only running 4 gig or less of ram then maybe you should get with the times, you can buy 8 gig's for like $60-80.

Of course, you'd still figure a computer could handle an optimized game like this with around 2GB. Again, it really depends on your OS. Of course some system requirementseses will actually say "Windows XP - 2GB, Windows Vista/7/8, 3GB," etc. *shrug*

Quoting truth.  Try to find a "gaming" graphics card released in the last two years with less than 4 gig ram.  There will be some, but for every one you find there will be a 4 gig version of the same card for like 10-20 dollars more.

Quoting truth.  Try to find a "gaming" graphics card released in the last two years with less than 4 gig ram.  There will be some, but for every one you find there will be a 4 gig version of the same card for like 10-20 dollars more.

Quoting falsehood. When you look at the list of Geforce 700 cards, six(6) out of eighteen(18) has 4GB RAM or more. 3 of these is the terribly overpriced Titan. In these 18 cards two unreleased cards will come with 2GB.

Geforce 750 Ti, the card I own, released in February 2014, has 2GB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_700_series

No he means graphics RAM, most cards do come with 3-4GB nowadays. However the goal here is so that PE can run on older machines.

Windows XP 32-bit is supported, so they need to get it down a bit. Max RAM for XP32 is 3.5GB

Edited by Sensuki