RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Follow-up to the hacker attack on PSN and XLive.

1. Owner of infamous file-sharing service MegaUpload/Mega, Kim Dotcom (real name Kim Schmitz) became pissed that he couldn't play Destiny on XLive. He sent the following tweet to the hacker group which took responsibility for the attack:

Hi @LizardMafia, I want to play #Destiny on XBOX Live. I'll give your entire crew Mega lifetime premium vouchers if you let us play. Cool?

2. They accepted the offer and stopped.

LOL? Is this the script of a bad Christmas hacker comedy? (I'm just reporting, the entire thing could be a clever media hack by Kim Dotcom.)

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

I thought he was in jail already / had no money anymore / his Mega thingy is going down?

He was bound for jail, but got "get of jail free" card due to legal procedure errors. The "Mega" service is like the old one, but new, started in Jan 2013.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

He theoretically has no money because it is all in trusts and the like/ owned by his wife who is separated (or if you're cynical, 'separated') from. Practically he still lives in the most expensive property in the country and drives some ludicrously large vehicle.

The illegal spying had no effect on whether he was going to get bail or not, and hasn't really effected the extradition hearing with the US- indeed, rather a lot of people insist that it never happened and it's all a plot, and if it did it was OK because it only happened to bad people and not me. And that despite it being admitted. I rather hope he stays around, he amuses and knots the panties of many people here who very richly deserve some strangulation of the nethers.

• Like 1

bullet drop? maybe, but it doesn't change the fact ballistics aren't very good. I have to say, though, I only really played Call of Pripyat. but things like not being able to zero your weapon (especially the ones with optical scopes), not being able to shoot through stuff etc. maybe I just wasn't paying attention and it was all there. the thing is, I played Arma 2 ACE2 at the time, maybe it was the contrast between weapons in that and CoP that made CoP look bad. 

I remember getting to the point in CoP where you have to go to Pripyat, and one of the last quests I had was to clear some factory of bandits. I had a Colt AR-15 with something like an ACOG attached to it, that whole fight annoyed me so much, that I uninstalled the game after I had fought off all the bandits. I don't remember the exact reasons, but it was something about the AI and the gun that ticked me off 

The engine is very old by now. Can't really compare it to Arma. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Arma's engine isn't much younger, not sure what has changed in it internally in the last 13 years, probably not much, since they're rewriting the whole thing for DayZ

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I am still so Stalker-burned out. All the bugs and linearity and bleh. So much potential, but they didn't used it. I restarted Clear Sky about 7 or 8 times, and even with the latest patch I was unable to play through the game because of script errors. CoP was better, but at that point, the Stalker games became way too annoying to me already.

Won't play a new Stalker game. It would get zero motivation from me and that probably will stay a while like that.

I sure hope Clear Sky wasn't the first Stalker game you tried, because really, that one was a horribly buggy pile of...well, bugs. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't already a fan of the series, and even then I'd add a warning label.

Personally I greatly prefer the first one (SoC) for its atmosphere and the sense of mystery, though the third (CoP) one had vastly better mechanics (well, they basically fixed the rather broken "gun upgrades" stuff from Clear Sky). Unfortunately the mod packs I used to use on SoC (OLmod fwiw) no longer works on the latest patch (yeah, it really is that old), it did stuff like add repair to shops and allow silencer to be used on a lot of guns that they didn't work on in SoC (like the Russian ARs). Though I think Stalker Complete added some of the same stuff, I should probably look up which mods I used last time through).

I still remember how me and two friends were playing SoC not too long after its release and we all got slaughtered trying to take out the bandits with just a pistol, over and over again... Of the three I was the only one that actually made it past that part and continued to play the game, I don't think the others ever believed me when I told them I easily took out those bandits nowadays on hardest difficulty. Man, that first fight used to be so intense...

Or getting past the Cordon, the hard way, with just a pistol and a sewn off dual barrel shotgun. Hehe, so many memorable moments in that game...

Edited by marelooke

The Talos Principle employs creative anti-piracy measures

B59wZu7IgAMtCSM.png

I suppose that if you're going to include anti-piracy measures, you might as well have some fun with it.  :lol:

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I am still so Stalker-burned out. All the bugs and linearity and bleh. So much potential, but they didn't used it. I restarted Clear Sky about 7 or 8 times, and even with the latest patch I was unable to play through the game because of script errors. CoP was better, but at that point, the Stalker games became way too annoying to me already.

Won't play a new Stalker game. It would get zero motivation from me and that probably will stay a while like that.

I sure hope Clear Sky wasn't the first Stalker game you tried, because really, that one was a horribly buggy pile of...well, bugs. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't already a fan of the series, and even then I'd add a warning label.

Personally I greatly prefer the first one (SoC) for its atmosphere and the sense of mystery, though the third (CoP) one had vastly better mechanics (well, they basically fixed the rather broken "gun upgrades" stuff from Clear Sky). Unfortunately the mod packs I used to use on SoC (OLmod fwiw) no longer works on the latest patch (yeah, it really is that old), it did stuff like add repair to shops and allow silencer to be used on a lot of guns that they didn't work on in SoC (like the Russian ARs). Though I think Stalker Complete added some of the same stuff, I should probably look up which mods I used last time through).

I still remember how me and two friends were playing SoC not too long after its release and we all got slaughtered trying to take out the bandits with just a pistol, over and over again... Of the three I was the only one that actually made it past that part and continued to play the game, I don't think the others ever believed me when I told them I easily took out those bandits nowadays on hardest difficulty. Man, that first fight used to be so intense...

Or getting past the Cordon, the hard way, with just a pistol and a sewn off dual barrel shotgun. Hehe, so many memorable moments in that game...

Played the first game a lot back in the days. This is also one of the reasons why I am so burned out. It was pretty much the same- I was in love with the setting, but the game just couldn't make up what it should have been. Made some mods for it too, but that was it then. Clear Sky came and made me ragequit. Then CoP came and I was out of that genre / universe already.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Settlers III tried to be creative with the anti-piracy stuff. Became infamous for the 'blacksmith forges pigs' "bug". I'm sure that helped with sales. tongue.png

As hilarious as it is, though, doing it is generally a pretty bad idea. It gives the game an undeserved bad reputation because of the mass amount of people that never figure out that they've been had.

I have a faint memory of one game getting progressively slower the longer you played on a pirated copy, leading a lot of people to think that that was simply part of the game, which lead to bad player reviews and the communities around said games backtalking the game itself.

If the pirate(s) ever considered getting the game, they sure as hell won't get it if they think it's broken. They'll just think "Oh, good thing I pirated this POS and didn't spend money on it, I'd be SOL", or something to that degree.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

Settlers III tried to be creative with the anti-piracy stuff. Became infamous for the 'blacksmith forges pigs' "bug". I'm sure that helped with sales. :p

So did Titan Quest, and it got a reputation for being extremely buggy as a result. It's a 'haha so funny' measure that is often counter productive because the cracks usually get fixed and the trageting is not exactly accurate either. I got the galaxy map bug in ME1 that was meant to effect pirates with a legit copy, and it was fixed by...

• Like 2

Settlers III tried to be creative with the anti-piracy stuff. Became infamous for the 'blacksmith forges pigs' "bug". I'm sure that helped with sales. :p

Game Dev Tycoon's anti-piracy was pretty funny. Pirate it and after a while your games don't make any money due to piracy.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg