RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Probably did their numbers and found that for any sufficiently high-profile title, not being on Steam has zero meaningful impact on sales and thus having it there does absolutely nothing except to enrich a competitor.

Anything that reverses the modern gaming trend of Steam being an always-on piece of software, as pervasive as one's operating system or anti-virus (probably moreso than the latter even), on is fine by me.

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm not saying that's weaksauce but... the sauce is weak

I want more Shadowrun

Wasn't there a massive mod project trying to incorporate various stories into a single module?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Probably did their numbers and found that for any sufficiently high-profile title, not being on Steam has zero meaningful impact on sales and thus having it there does absolutely nothing except to enrich a competitor.

Anything that reverses the modern gaming trend of Steam being an always-on piece of software, as pervasive as one's operating system or anti-virus (probably moreso than the latter even), on is fine by me.

Still, its like pulling a console game out of Walmart. Yeah people can get it elsewhere, but you're still making the concious decision to snub the largest retailer. I thought Steam accounted for something like 70% of PC game sales now.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Retailer-come-competitor though. So uh, probably betraying my lack of knowledge of the American retail sector, but it's like no longer selling Best Buy branded stuff at Wal-mart.

Tortured analogy, I know, and I think largely unimportant. Pulling a game from Wal-mart will probably result in a number of lost sales, sure, but theoretically it may yet be better for the bottom line once the margins are taken into account. The same logic applies for digital sales, only that the gap is probably even easier to make up for.

EDIT: Filter didn't like my spelling of come.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

As someone who buys Ubisoft games once in a blue moon I can't really fault them for it. I think I have maybe 3 games on Uplay. AC Blackflag, Splintercell Blacklist, and Farcry 3 (plus Blood Dragon). I only have the first 2 because they were free with my graphics card. The FC games were because well.. blood Dragon is awesome. This is a business decision in the end.

I don't like Uplay, but it won't give them anymore money from me. I have grown to be content with Origin. I doubt I ill ever like Uplay.

I was hoping for some support to the SteamOS initiative from Ubi, but after the 30fps is more cinematic BS they laid out the other week I think they are pretty deep with Sony and MS at this point. Oh well.

Not like you can't add the game to steam manually either, then it's the same to most practical purposes as the situation now, launch a launcher to launch another launcher.

I am finding the butthurt generated absolutely delicious though. I may actually have to buy a Ubisoft game to compensate them for the entertainment gained.

Retailer-come-competitor though. So uh, probably betraying my lack of knowledge of the American retail sector, but it's like no longer selling Best Buy branded stuff at Wal-mart.

Toyota selling new cars at Ford dealerships so Ford gets 30% of Toyota's sales is the analogy I've always found illustrates why they don't want to do it.

• Like 1

I'm not saying that's weaksauce but... the sauce is weak

I want more Shadowrun

Wasn't there a massive mod project trying to incorporate various stories into a single module?

Not sure. I haven't been following the mod scene since before Dragonfall came out. I think Hurlshot's mod is the last one I played.

I was hoping for a new campaign or two or a whole new game that was closer to PNP. My dream has always been an Obsidian SR game but I'm pretty sure that will never come to pass.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

looks awfully similar to Bastion... yeah, I think I'd prefer to see HBS continue making Shadowrun games, perfecting the formula

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Not like you can't add the game to steam manually either, then it's the same to most practical purposes as the situation now, launch a launcher to launch another launcher.

I am finding the butthurt generated absolutely delicious though. I may actually have to buy a Ubisoft game to compensate them for the entertainment gained.

Toyota selling new cars at Ford dealerships so Ford gets 30% of Toyota's sales is the analogy I've always found illustrates why they don't want to do it.

Well, if they pull them out of the ford dealership to sell them out of the abandoned warehouse in the seedy part of town. The Gamdeals reddit was all over how even at 75% discounts on Uplay, everyone waits for Steam or GMG because at least you're guaranteed to get the game you buy.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The South Park creators are avid gamers, and they made an episode about "free" games with microtransactions.

http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes/s18e06-freemium-isnt-free

(Note: SP episodes are available for stream watching right after the premier, then not available for a while, like 3 weeks, then available again forever. It's some contract thing with Comedy Central. It's possible that you'll read this post in the "currently not available" zone.)

• Like 1

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

The South Park creators are avid gamers, and they made an episode about "free" games with microtransactions.

(Note: SP episodes are available for stream watching right after the premier, then not available for a while, like 3 weeks, then available again forever. It's some contract thing with Comedy Central. It's possible that you'll read this post in the "currently not available" zone.)

I don't know why I keep thinking that this whole season is building up to something.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The .gifs came quick

LqTTzkm.gif