RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

It's not graphics, it's aesthetics, which is why I made the distinction. I love playing SMAC, pharaoh etc precisely because they are aesthetically very well made - a lot of old games (especially early 3d ones) aren't however and for them I would probably buy the remake.

For old ones, I really do feel they are one and the same - the 320x340 resolution and crude texturing is just a technical thing which is jarring and ugly with eyes today. Though I suppose I am lucky with a 3D card in 1999 only so perhaps I never bothered with the early ones that would suffer with this problem.

GTA V getting first person - http://www.computerandvideogames.com/480356/new-gta-v-new-gen-screens-reveal-first-person-mode/

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wow.. GTA5 in first person mode. It might be awesome. I just remember how much i struggled with the controls of my third person Niko in GTA4 (especially the shooting) so this really is a great surprise.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Dyack is at it again with Eternal Darkness Successor -- though he got the brilliant idea of wanting to make a tv-series and film alongside it.

I thought the concept they'd shown in their KS looked promising. Either way it appears that this is another company than the one that tried get the game funded through Kickstarter last year, Precursor Games seems to have "disappeared": http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/29/4782924/shadow-of-the-eternals-put-on-hold

The gameplay footage didn't give me that unnerving horror vibe of Eternal Darkness, it felt more or less like a linear 3D adventure game with pretty visuals. Judging from the demo alone of course. The premise was reminiscent of Eternal Darkness, which is fine and I sure would love another game like it.. I doubt it's gonna happen and with the shady background of Dyack it's hard to make it a reality.

Wow.. GTA5 in first person mode. It might be awesome. I just remember how much i struggled with the controls of my third person Niko in GTA4 (especially the shooting) so this really is a great surprise.

It's always nice to get FP view when possible. I'm not big on Rockstar games as they always fail to come close to reaching any sort of potential but it looks like I'll be getting GTA 5 when prices drop for sure.

I'm really excited about GTAV and this first person mode is just a  bonus  :dancing:  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Apparently Bethesda has trademarked the name "Fallout Shadow of Boston". Wonderful title if it goes live with it.

https://register.dpma.de/DPMAregister/marke/registerHABM?AKZ=013401691&CURSOR=5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Law of averages means one of these will be right!

Warning: Adorableness Overload

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqWf5WR0b1I

Gotta love the lazy Toad sleeping on the cloud toward the end of the video, my kind of Toad.  Also, I kind of wish it was called Captain Kinopio over here too.  Captain Toad sounds fine, but Captain Kinopio sounds better.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Are those tears of joy running down my cheeks?!...we saw it coming but now it's official: http://www.zelda.com/majoras-mask/

Heck yes!  While I'm personally tired of all the remakes and reboots, I will make an exception for Majora's Mask because it's an amazing game and it really deserves to be played by a new generation of people.  I know this may be blasphemy, but I consider this game to be better than Ocarina of Time.  It's such a unique entry in the series, so dark and twisted and just plain bizarre.  This fills me with so much joy.

tumblr_inline_mqu389D6rd1qz4rgp.gif

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Can someome explain to me what so awesome about Legend of Zelda games? I was never into them (maybe because I always play only PC games from 1998) but whenever I look on any gameplay I never found it interesting at all

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Can someome explain to me what so awesome about Legend of Zelda games? I was never into them (maybe because I always play only PC games from 1998) but whenever I look on any gameplay I never found it interesting at all

It's the stories and the adventures that you get into and the characters you meet.  The Zelda games are filled with weird and unique quests and weird and memorable characters.  You know how BioWare games have a couple stock characters they recycle for every single game or how in Skyrim every character is just a cardboard cutout and the vast majority of quests are boring copy & paste quests?  In Zelda games, you meet a bunch of weird, unique, and memorable characters each time out and they send you on interesting and weird adventures (they don't get any weirder than Majora's Mask) with unique quests and circumstances.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

It's the stories and the adventures that you get into and the characters you meet.  The Zelda games are filled with weird and unique quests and weird and memorable characters.  You know how BioWare games have a couple stock characters they recycle for every single game or how in Skyrim every character is just a cardboard cutout and the vast majority of quests are boring copy & paste quests?  In Zelda games, you meet a bunch of weird, unique, and memorable characters each time out and they send you on interesting and weird adventures (they don't get any weirder than Majora's Mask) with unique quests and circumstances.

Can you little specify, weird in terms of Planscape Torment or weird like Tim Burton characters eg Alice in the wonderland?

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Can you little specify, weird in terms of Planscape Torment or weird like Tim Burton characters eg Alice in the wonderland?

Closer to Lewis Carrol's Alice.
  • Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That's a bit difficult to answer because so many of the Zelda games are so different from each other but I'd definitely go toward the Alice in Wonderland end of that spectrum.  A lot of the characters have strange personality quirks and some of them are downright mentally ill.  While the games do sometimes explore the recesses of the mind, particularly in Majora's Mask where you repeat a 3 day cycle over and over and meet people going through the final moments of their lives before they all die and get to see how they cope with that, they never go quite as deep philosophical as PST.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

That's a bit difficult to answer because so many of the Zelda games are so different from each other but I'd definitely go toward the Alice in Wonderland end of that spectrum.  A lot of the characters have strange personality quirks and some of them are downright mentally ill.  While the games do sometimes explore the recesses of the mind, particularly in Majora's Mask where you repeat a 3 day cycle over and over and meet people going through the final moments of their lives before they all die and get to see how they cope with that, they never go quite as deep philosophical as PST.

Thanks, I am not huge fan of Alice but maybe I will give it a try - I laways look at Zelda as fairytale - probably because of graphic style

They have weird stories to tell and sometimes if you connect their stories it leads to even weirder speculations about the characters(they have these weird secrets) and their connection to the game world, the series etc. Play Ocarina of Time first and then go for Majora's Mask and you'll get what I mean. Ocarina of Time has a simple gameplay and it's easy to beat but Majora's Mask on the other hand needs a lot of patience, effort and planning if you want to see everything the game has to offer(and it's worth every nanosecond of your time sir, believe me!). But in the end it's just weird in it's own way, Ikana Valley has a grotesque tone, the Great Bay is all woozy and calm and quite, Clock Town is full of life and characters that have their own schedules(day/time specific, much like Deadly Premonition) and etc. etc. It's not a crpg but I highly recommend it if you want to try something unique.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Ubisoft have pulled their upcoming games from steam.

Surprised they've kept them there this long, really.

Why hasn't anybody come up with a direct download option that doesn't require login. Is it really that difficult?

I don't like playing games while big brother is watching, it just  feels weird.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I wonder if it's to do with Valve's DLC policy that also got EA games removed.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

DLC for ubisoft games on steam is stupid. You buy it on Steam, write the code down on some paper, open the game, select the game option for DLC, and enter the code manually. I played through about 60% of Assassins Creed 3 before realizing none of my DLC was activated.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I wonder if it's to do with Valve's DLC policy that also got EA games removed.

I haven't heard anything about the policy changing, and Ubisoft didn't fall foul of it as EA did since you could buy their dlc on steam as well as via uplay- though the current situation is exactly equivalent to EA, you can buy them just about anywhere DD that isn't steam (eg the Gamersgate and even Origin versions of Ubisoft games are still there, as you can buy EA games on Uplay and Gamersgate). Can only presume at this point that they have genuinely pulled them or decided that the dlc policy is just too restrictive. Avoiding the 30% cut on most sales has to be a consideration too, especially as EA's digital revenues have increased massively over the past few years despite the supposed hatred for Origin. And there are rumours of others doing much the same- WB most persistently, but also Rockstar with RSC.

I'm actually a bit surprised that the latest CoD is still steamed, since I'd heard that one of Ghosts' services from the console versions got scuppered on PC due to Valve's TOS (CoD: Elite? Big IIRC on that though)

• Like 1