RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

I am wondering if people really think that european folks dressed like that back in the days.

Its great amalgam of anachronisms. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It's about the same level of authenticity as Far Eastern countries and people are portrayed in Hollywood movies.

• Like 1

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

All the details are present in fashion throughout European history, just not in those particular combinations.

The 19th century military style was nothing if not pompous though, so I'm sure they would approve.

British Hussar (winter edition)

d8e775941dedfe353db65d9d34783b22.jpg

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

1377564711153mrb3u.png

I think that they were all funny and some even apt, but I think that his joke on pander reveals a mindset that might not understand that You really shouldn't BE pandering to more than the core audience of a niche product, or a well established one. [iE. like Fallout IMO.]

Once you start trying to include other tastes into the game, you lose the option to make the best game possible ~for any one audience. It becomes a melting pot of often mutually exclusive content and mechanics... such that it becomes an art of carefully adding just enough of each group's bitter pill to sweeten the pot enough for them to eat it, without souring it all for the rest. :(

*This is how you sell a game to the masses; but not how you make a quality product IMO.

Ideally I think that games should be better tailored to a fan group if they have one already; new IP's don't have that baggage and can of course be whatever they wish. But if Id/soft released a Quake sequel that played like Halo, that's a slap to the face of the Quake fans IMO ~regardless if it was accepted so well by the mass market that it became 'game of the year'... So what? Great game, crap Quake sequel :(; and certainly not a challenge or of interest to the best of the Quake players.

Edited by Gizmo

There are countries/cities named Terneuzen, Assen, Meppel, Roeselare and Kortrijk in VC.

It's like they looked up the Low Countries in an atlas and randomly picked names of lesser known towns.

I mean, seriously, I used to know someone from Meppel.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I am wondering if people really think that european folks dressed like that back in the days.

The question we should be asking is: Why didn't earopean folks dress like that?

Exactly. That looks faaaaaaabolous!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Traditional garb for the region of Poland my family is from (I was born in Warsaw, but my family originates from around Zakopane in the far south of Poland, which by ancestry makes me a Góral):

64c24fd78ccfddd68ace72ae220699e1.jpg

43._TKB_-_Trebunie-Tutki_07.JPG

You have my permission to be jealous.  :p

• Like 5

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Cool, Keyrock!

And all of the sudden it dawned on me - now I know why it's called Polka Dot - it's sorta Polish Dots. :)

Here's the oldest still existing female garment in any of my family lines, an Uplandish Sunday dress from the 18th century, from a fishing community in the archipelago between Åland and Sweden in the Baltic. It's much more drab, I'm afraid.

G9ts76.gif

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Nice one Keyrock, I like seeing traditional garb of different countries

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

These random video game news are sure fabulous. :) (Not that I mind.)

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Cool, Keyrock!

And all of the sudden it dawned on me - now I know why it's called Polka Dot - it's sorta Polish Dots. :)

Polka dot is in reference to the Polka dance and music which was (and still is) performed in many European countries, Poland included.  To be clear, those aren't dots on the woman's dress (it;s a small picture) they're flowers.  The women's garb in that region is heavy on flower patterns.  

Sorry for derailing the thread.  :blush:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Cool, Keyrock!

Polka dot is in reference to the Polka dance and music which was (and still is) performed in many European countries, Poland included.  To be clear, those aren't dots on the woman's dress (it;s a small picture) they're flowers.  The women's garb in that region is heavy on flower patterns.  

Sorry for derailing the thread.  :blush:

You should feel sorry...look at me ...I never derail threads ever.....oh wait ....   :ermm:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

There are countries/cities named Terneuzen, Assen, Meppel, Roeselare and Kortrijk in VC.

It's like they looked up the Low Countries in an atlas and randomly picked names of lesser known towns.

I did a serious doubletake when I opened up this page and saw this. I had to look up what the hell was going on. I live in one of those cities, my brother lives in another.

I did a serious doubletake when I opened up this page and saw this. I had to look up what the hell was going on. I live in one of those cities, my brother lives in another.

The TT Circuit at Assen is a favorite among motorcycle racing enthusiasts, I'm told. Have always wanted to visit. 

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

King of a Dragon Pass successor by the original designer in the works!

http://www.pcgamer.com/king-of-dragon-pass-is-finally-getting-a-sequel-called-six-ages/

Kickstarter incoming? ponder.gif

Anyway, best of luck to them.  King of Dragon Pass is a pretty unique game, I'd love to see a sequel.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

King of a Dragon Pass successor by the original designer in the works!http://www.pcgamer.com/king-of-dragon-pass-is-finally-getting-a-sequel-called-six-ages/

Kickstarter incoming? ponder.gif

Anyway, best of luck to them.  King of Dragon Pass is a pretty unique game, I'd love to see a sequel.

Thinking the same thing. The original only sold less than 10k units on its original PC release and was a net loss for David Dunham. He didn't really start to make money on it until some 12 years later when he reworked the game for iOS.

Brilliant game, and a small but loyal niche following.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Personally I'd have preferred the sequel to not be set in the same licenced setting, to avoid some of the issues I had with the original game being straitjacketed by canon. Stuff like the various non-tribal cultures surrounding the game map being literally a "you lose" encounter, that kind of thing.

Still, pleased to see it go ahead.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I admit I have a certain relish when eating duck.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!