• 21-25
    • 26-30
    • 31-35
    • 36-40
    • 41-45
    • 46-50
    • 51-55
    • 56 or more
  2. 2. How long have you been a (computer) gamer?

• 5 yrs or less
    • 6-10 years
    • 11-15 years
    • 16-20 years
    • 21-25 years
    • 26-30 years
    • 31-35 years
    • 36 years or more

The only one I can remember was X-wing vs. TIE Fighter. But, my memory tends to lock stuff away and hide the key, so I don't remember a lot of stuff (especially from when I was young) until someone sparks an "OH YEAHHHHHHHH!" moment, at which point I generally remember in vivid detail, 8P.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

26-30. I remember having and playing on a Commodore 64, Atari 2600, and I remember my brother when he bought an NES. Although, I only really got into gaming with the SNES. Computer about the same timeframe I'd say. At least, a computer and computer games were somewhere in the house.

I still find it incredibly weird that there are people in the 20-29 age bracket who are looking for an old school iso experience. Really thought the age bell curve would be solidly in the mid-30s or something. But the sample size is still super low, so...

Most of us appear to have started gaming fairly young, so we still ended up playing old school RPGs -- at least of the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale era -- at the time they came out. I expect I would still like them even if they hadn't been my first introduction to cRPGs, but they were, and they've been stuck at the top of my favourite game lists ever since and I've been replaying them ever since. Granted, I'm even more fond of those games than many people I know who are somewhat older than I, and I tend to be a bit of an outlier in most other age-related preference statistics and that could be the case for many of the other younger people here as well.

Considering that the latest trends in RPGs that I most dislike (voiced PCs top amongst them) have only really got going in the last six years or so, I think most people over the age of sixteen have experienced at least some RPG which would in comparison be considered old school. I value replayability and being able to make a wide range of characters in a game, and those are things that modern RPGs often don't do very well at.

That said, I also would've expected the 31-35 and 36-40 ranges to be the largest section, although I'm not surprised that the 26-30 one is quite large.

Edited by Remmirath
  • Like 2

knightofchaoss.jpg

Wow I am the one person under 16. I guess considering BG the game is almost older than I am there arent many people my age who have been playing it. I just got most of my games from when my older sister got bored of them, so I am into a lot of older games and series'.

• Like 1

Maybe only the young'uns are asking all the inane questions about stuff that have been answered or in discussion since 2012, including the original KS.

Newcomers who can't be bothered to actually read the stuff before probably aren't going to do well with the game anyway.

And no, Fubby, if you're that stuck on D&D vancian magic with OP spellcasters (a discussion which has been done to death), you should look elsewhere.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Speaking as one of those newcomers:

1. We don't always know where to look.
2. Newcomers very often like to know the community first and seek interraction
3. Peer education is THE dominant form of education in the Western world at the moment, so asking people for answers and/or where to look for answers is the major way we have learned how to learn.

4. Some of us are daunted by so much jargon we need it explained to us.

5. Some of us have huge workloads and/or things we need to be doing.

6. Some of us are just generally nervous, particularly as we feel we don't have the knowledge to 'add' to the discussion, and putting out that initial post or question on whatever is on our mind at the moment is a way of gaining confidence to actually join the conversation.

Combine any number of those together and you get a variety of reasons aside from 'can't be bothered' for why newcomers would rather post and ask a question rather than sit down and trawl through an endless slog of other posts for hours. In fact this is the precise reason why 'pinned' posts are so important to us.

• Like 6

I've been a member of this forum for years.  I think a decade at this post.  I still sometimes have a hard time finding out if something has been asked or answered already.  You do searches and look around but you're probably going to double post at some point.  As for pissing people off, don't let it bother you.  The guy who treats you like you're the embodiment of Satan himself regarding the terrible DnD alignment system today will be on your side in the Star Wars light vs. dark side discussion tomorrow.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Born in 1986, so that gives me 28 y.o. at the moment.

I remember playing some Atari ST games of yore, like:

• James Pond
  • Baby Jo
  • Dizzy (lots of titles)
  • Dynabusters
  • North & South
  • Lotus III
  • Vroom

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

22(almost 23), got a N-64 when I was around 9 and moved to PC almost exclusively around 15.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I was 3-4 years old when I started gaming, on this machine:
Sinclair_ZX_Spectrum.jpg

And this was my very first game :) my dad liked to run around with a video camera when we were kids so I got a VCR tape of it laying around somewhere xD
hqdefault.jpg

23 years ago. Time fllies 

• Like 3

Wow! That looks like a great thing to play an RPG on! There's a button to READ books, inscriptions, and signs. Or maybe even people, o_o. And there's an EXP button, to spend your experience when you level up. RESTORE, to heal people, obviously. CHR$ probably shows you how much money your character has. Which means that STR$ shows you how much money you've gained through sheer intimidation tactics. u_u

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

And this was my very first game :) 

hqdefault.jpg

.. was that "Jet Pack" where you had to assemble the broken ship and then.. umm.. never managed that far actually.

But awesome laser weapon effects. 

• Like 1

Maybe only the young'uns are asking all the inane questions about stuff that have been answered or in discussion since 2012, including the original KS.

Newcomers who can't be bothered to actually read the stuff before probably aren't going to do well with the game anyway.

And no, Fubby, if you're that stuck on D&D vancian magic with OP spellcasters (a discussion which has been done to death), you should look elsewhere.

e: can't read

Hey, I'm a young'un and have been here since the beginning of the project. Stubbornness and ignorance is surely not limited to the young. :p

On the other hand, I've actually stopped paying attention to updates because I was getting so worked about perceived major changes and want to judge the game on its own merits, not as a Baldur's Gate spinoff...so you might have a point even so. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

And this was my very first game :) 

hqdefault.jpg

.. was that "Jet Pack" where you had to assemble the broken ship and then.. umm.. never managed that far actually.

But awesome laser weapon effects. 

Yes! (you assemble the ship, then you grab fuel, then you start flying but you crash and have to do the same thing again) I managed to get as far as level 3-4 I remember, it was a difficult game. Never finished it... hmm...

I'm realizing that it would make a great modern roguelite (with pickups and stuff to advance your weaponry), if someone would pick it up and remake it.

Also had an amazing game called "Cauldron" (It says Phantomas 2 there so I'm guessing that's Cauldron 2, appearantly there were 2 of em). My dad did a gigantic pen & paper map out of it. Permadeath, Castlevania-ish game, you always had to start from the very beginning if you died xD so he mapped it out.

Also, the Hobbit (which was extremely difficult for a child, I never got past the very first room, yep, that screenshot there. Explosive chocolate box of doom T-T), Rambo.

After that I got a NES machine, played SNES and Sega Genesis at friends, then PSX, PS2/Dreamcast, PS3/PSP, PC. I'll probably get a PS4 at some point too (Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy XV <3). I also had a Mac at some point that was a horrible gaming machine (I remember playing and finishing WarCraft 3 and TFT on it. Imagine 300 ping and 5-10 fps in a multiplayer game, pretty much constant lag xD). For some reason the CGI was running perfect, but the gameplay itself was barely holding together.

Correction from my previous post: VHS, not VCR xD

EDIT: (I'm looking through old-school games from the ZX on the internets ^^)

- Dizzy was an amazing game that we had as well, kind of like Cauldron too. 

- Dan Dare as well.

That's all I can remember, but I did find something I had no idea about until now xD (never played back then)

- Space Crusade (WH40k, rip-off, most likely) - Space Hulk pretty much

Edited by Osvir

Wow! That looks like a great thing to play an RPG on! There's a button to READ books, inscriptions, and signs. Or maybe even people, o_o. And there's an EXP button, to spend your experience when you level up. RESTORE, to heal people, obviously. CHR$ probably shows you how much money your character has. Which means that STR$ shows you how much money you've gained through sheer intimidation tactics. u_u

I don't think I had any idea what those things did back then, and I still have no idea what those things do xD it was mostly joystick gaming.

zx-spectrum-joystick.png

Also, cassette tapes :p

cassette.jpg

• Like 2

All started with arcades when I was very young (6 or 7). Loved video games since then. Along with the arcades where the Tiger (and Tiger-like) games. Then it was my first PC in 1990 (I was 10). Several friends and cousins had consoles like gameboy or Atari, C64 and SNES, Mega Drive later, so I had my experiences with those as well. The only console I ever owned was a Game Gear. I had a 5-year break with computer games and computers in general from 1997 to 2001, but then I came back and still playing ;)

Edited by Sedrefilos

I had a 5-year break with computer games and computers in general from 1997 to 2001, but then I came back and still playing ;)

Wow. What a terrible time to take a hiatus from PC gaming. I hope you were able to catch up on what you missed!

I caught up with some. Fallouts for instance, and BG2 heh. At that point I was a bit pissed off because the technology was advancing too fast for my wallet. Then again, I was in my late teens, so I didn't care much about games - I had other interests :p . Then it was 18 months in the army when I was drafted... at mid 2001 I felt I missed the computers so I decided to come back. It was easyer to buy a descent PC at the time because the prices started to drop.

Edited by Sedrefilos