Oscar Pistorius Verdict

BruceVC

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscar-pistorius-sentenced-five-years-740263

So he received 5 years for the charge of culpable homicide, some may think this is not severe enough as the maximum sentence in South African law for this crime is 15 years but I think its fair considering the circumstances

I always wanted justice to be done and I think it has been. He will probably be out  on parole in 2 years but trust me South African jails aren't a picnic especially considering the fact he is a celebrity

So I am happy with the sentence overall

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

He murdered a girl and gets out in two years. It may be fair (I don't know all the details surrounding the case) but it makes me wonder if him being a national hero didn't influence the seemingly lax verdict.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I can understand that it will upset a lot of people, but given the evidence and the circumstances, I'd say that is a fair verdict too.

Also some people love to see celebrities fail and fall from grace so some of the calls from the South African public  to punish Oscar severely was more from an emotional perspective than looking at what the prosecutor could  really prove during the trial

Like when Paris Hilton came to watch the Football World Cup in 2010 and she was arrested for smoking a joint in the stadium, a big deal was made about "people that come to South Africa and don't respect our laws" ( basically anti-Western diatribe ) despite the fact that  smoking weed is rather common throughout South Africa even though its  "illegal "

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

He murdered a girl and gets out in two years. It may be fair (I don't know all the details surrounding the case) but it makes me wonder if him being a national hero didn't influence the seemingly lax verdict.

Well that's the thing, technically he didn't murder her intentionally

So the charge is murder through negligence. Its the same as someone getting drunk, having a car crash and killing someone. They won't be charged with premeditated murder. That's culpable homicide and carries a lesser sentence which I understand?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

So the charge is murder through negligence. Its the same as someone getting drunk, having a car crash and killing someone. They won't be charged with premeditated murder. That's culpable homicide and carries a lesser sentence which I understand?

You mean there was no proof of intent, because his bs story was bought hook-line-and-sinker? :)

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

You mean there was no proof of intent, because his bs story was bought hook-line-and-sinker? :)

Basically yes :)

But as you know Nep a court case result  is based on what the prosecutor can prove, not what  we personally think should be a  valid sentence

Personally I think he did know she was in the bathroom and in a fit of rage and anger he fired shots to get her to come out of the bathroom and obviously he ended up killing her

But the prosecutor despite doing an excellent just couldn't prove that Oscar knew Riva was behind the door

John Milton 

Basically yes :)

But as you know Nep a court case result  is based on what the prosecutor can prove, not what  we personally think should be a  valid sentence

Personally I think he did know she was in the bathroom and in a fit of rage and anger he fired shots to get her to come out of the bathroom and obviously he ended up killing her

But the prosecutor despite doing an excellent just couldn't prove that Oscar knew Riva was behind the door

Oh, I know. I'd applaud it, if it was really the system working as intended, and not a famous person getting away with murder vs. the masses of innocent nobodies who get convicted because the police couldn't be arsed to actually figure out what happened instead of just happily pinning it on some poor fool.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Will they allow him in the next Games ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Will they allow him in the next Games ?

I doubt it, I don't think you  are allowed to represent your country if you have this type of criminal conviction?

John Milton 

Good to be a witte man in Zuid Afrika.

I always wanted justice to be done and I think it has been. He will probably be out  on parole in 2 years but trust me South African jails aren't a picnic especially considering the fact he is a celebrity

He can use his blades as knives.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I think we should add 3 years for "crimes against humanity" for robbing us of more of this:

754c39bc1fc17ab2f44abc55bbb6329c_large.j

Bad humor aside - a tragic case and I do think it's a fair verdict too. It does smelll fishy though, but without proof.. eh..

Fortune favors the bald.

Good to be a witte man in Zuid Afrika.

He can use his blades as knives.

To be fair its not a verdict where the race made any difference, if anything its based on wealth as Oscar basically got the best defence attorney money could buy. But even that couldn't get him off without real jail time or even better a " not guilty" verdict of all charges. Also his career is over, he will never run again. I can't see him getting a job on any kind of South African TV or radio show so I'm really not sure what he is going to do with this life after he has served his time? He could get into coaching but this trial  has really tainted the image and perception of him for many people so the whole " motivational speaker " avenue is also not an option for him?

So to

John Milton 

I don't think the prosecutor has to prove what his state of mind was at the time, unless they somehow can call psychic tele-mindreaders as witnesses. All it takes is for a reasonable person not to believe his idiotic excuse. "Oh sorry Your Honor, I wasn't trying to rob the man, I thought he was going to attack me and so I shot him, and no one can prove I thought otherwise!"

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan