Cultural enrichment

obyknven

Just my thread for interesting stuff.

Principality of Theodoro.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Theodoro

http://www.graal.org.ua/en/theodoro-principality/history-of-theodoro

http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/5773/

Mostly interested because here survive traditions of Ancient world city building, quite different from tight and non-ecological "European" (after fall of Roman Empire) city building.

Capital of Theodoro is Mangup Kale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangup

702130_original.jpg

Other example of Byzantian city is Chersonesus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chersonesus

3761.jpg

• Like 2

I do agree that there is something to the argument for increased greenery and space in our cities, along with a little less uniformity and more artistic expression. The dour concrete jungles can be a little daunting, and even though at night they possess a certain neon lit beauty all of their own, they cannot compare to the green and growing splendour of say an idyllic English cottage, nestling in a bosom of organic splendour. To me at least.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I do agree that there is something to the argument for increased greenery and space in our cities, along with a little less uniformity and more artistic expression. The dour concrete jungles can be a little daunting, and even though at night they possess a certain neon lit beauty all of their own, they cannot compare to the green and growing splendour of say an idyllic English cottage, nestling in a bosom of organic splendour. To me at least.

Concrete jungles can look really stunning provided they're built by people with the least bit of artistic sense, unfortunately that is essentially never the case, and even if it is there'll be preasure that looks standard, thankfully night removes the ugly detail and just leaves the lights. Any style can be great or horrid, depending on whether they got least bit of individuality.

• Like 1

Just my thread for interesting stuff.

Principality of Theodoro.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Theodoro

http://www.graal.org.ua/en/theodoro-principality/history-of-theodoro

http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/5773/

Mostly interested because here survive traditions of Ancient world city building, quite different from tight and non-ecological "European" (after fall of Roman Empire) city building.

Capital of Theodoro is Mangup Kale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangup

702130_original.jpg

Other example of Byzantian city is Chersonesus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chersonesus

3761.jpg

ignorance. geography and advances in warfare had as much to do with euro city planning as anything. notions o' ancient ecological awareness or consciousness is hokum... and long, largely indefensible walls/fortifications has always been of suspect value (e.g. great wall of china, maginot line.) similarly, the checkerboard or wheel and spoke layout o' streets you see in more modern planned european cities were largely due to the advent o' the cannon and firearms in general. conversely, the hanging gardens o' tenochtitlan   (http://www.history.com/videos/aztec-ingenuity#aztec-ingenuity) were the result o' incredible ingenuity and necessity rather than whimsical notions o' a pre-columbian aesthetic.  the mexico valley suffered from poor soil quality, frequent frosts and irregular rainfall. chinampas were a solution to these geographical/environmental limitations.

you like green? great, but toss the ecological nonsense as that is projecting modern values onto ancient examples that got nothing to do with your aesthetic.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Didn't really bother to read the topic, though I couldn't help but notice that oby tagged this topic with his own username.

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Striking, it gives one a certain sense of pride to note what ones fellow man can build, especially in times that we nowadays lazily condemn as backwards. This is one of the reason I am always somewhat uncomfortable with the conspiracy movement that argues aliens made any striking feature on Earth, it devalues us and takes no account of our sometimes ingenious, gifted and hardworking nature.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Probably off-topic, but oby threads never have much of a topic focus anyway:

I've been spending a lot of time lately driving up and down Embassy Row in DC.  Given the frequency of stops due to traffic lights, bus stops, double-parked diplomats, etc., I've been appreciating the lovely variety of statuary along the route.  Besides the usual kind of thing you see in a capitol city-- war heroes on horses, important political leaders, an occasional scientist or clergyman, etc., the various embassies have put up a lot of really cool statues outside their buildings. 

There's a spot near the Naval Observatory where identical-scale bronzes of Churchill and Mandela essentially face each other from across the street, each with one arm raised into the air (Churchill: V for Victory; Mandela: Fist).  Makes you wonder about the kind of conversation those two might have.  The Indonesian embassy has a fantastic new statue of Suraswati.  If you peek through the fence into the courtyard of the Turkish embassy, you'll see a statue of Ataturk that is really well done-- with his chest forward and jacket un-buttoned and blowing open in the breeze, it's about as badass as you can make a sculpture of somebody wearing traditional Western business attire look. 

• Like 3

I wonder how much of this grand architecture is down to less than democratic regimes trying to find legitimacy in public shows of power/taste/virtue?

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Probably quite a lot I would think, as well as insane amounts of ego and self belief, one merely has to behold what the Pharoah's left behind to see that sometimes art can come from extremely strange origins.

Edit: I beleive there was an architectural theory on the standing stones, dolmen, henges and menhirs of Europe and beyond, postulating that they were raised merely to state that this was the land of the builders, and that the remains so often found buried around them were further claims upon ownership of the land. Our dead lie here, sleeping and honoured, this is our land, indisputably kind of thing.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

Probably off-topic, but oby threads never have much of a topic focus anyway:

I've been spending a lot of time lately driving up and down Embassy Row in DC.  Given the frequency of stops due to traffic lights, bus stops, double-parked diplomats, etc., I've been appreciating the lovely variety of statuary along the route.  Besides the usual kind of thing you see in a capitol city-- war heroes on horses, important political leaders, an occasional scientist or clergyman, etc., the various embassies have put up a lot of really cool statues outside their buildings. 

There's a spot near the Naval Observatory where identical-scale bronzes of Churchill and Mandela essentially face each other from across the street, each with one arm raised into the air (Churchill: V for Victory; Mandela: Fist).  Makes you wonder about the kind of conversation those two might have.  The Indonesian embassy has a fantastic new statue of Suraswati.  If you peek through the fence into the courtyard of the Turkish embassy, you'll see a statue of Ataturk that is really well done-- with his chest forward and jacket un-buttoned and blowing open in the breeze, it's about as badass as you can make a sculpture of somebody wearing traditional Western business attire look. 

One of these days I'd like to take a week or so to visit DC and just walk all around the Capital district. I've been there a few times (mainly when I was working at Pax River) but I've never had time to really take it all in.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Fashion of Sassanid's.

1076.jpg

1080.jpg

1097.jpg

1090.jpg

Fashion of archaic European Scythians (before VI BCE)

0945.jpg

0946.jpg

2310.jpg

2312.jpg

fashion of new European "Scythians" (Scolotoi) after sucessful invansion from Central Asia (after VI - V BCE)

men

0952.jpg

0953.jpg

2313.jpg

women

0964.jpg

0963.jpg

Fortifications of  Later Scythians in Crimea (new wave of invaders from Central Asia  in III BCE pushed out Scolotoi  to this peninsula).

bulg5.jpg

bulg6-1.jpg

bulg6-2.jpg

neap01m.jpg

image083.jpg

• Like 1

I was expecting an indoctrination program where we all learn why Russia is best country.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Later Kushan Empire has been conquered by White Huns - Central Asian peoples of Xionites and Hephthalites. In result Kushan Empire has been replaced by new Hephthalite Empire, though culturally almost nothing changed (except religion probably).

belenizky-marshak-1976-05.jpg

belenizky-marshak-1976-04.jpg

belenizky-marshak-1976-10.jpg

belenizky-marshak-1976-11.jpg

1033.jpg

1029.jpg

1035.jpg

inazia082.jpg

inazia080.jpg

1_html_m6122456e.jpg

• Like 1

Hephthalites or White Huns actually live in the towns.
original.jpg#20895666169

6179_html_me088bb2.jpg
in fortified houses
3_html_136f090f.png

and castles near of towns
3_html_m240adba0.png

They has very advanced and fashionable culture ( for comparison - in this time ancestors of Modern Europeans yet stay a half-naked barbarians lived in primitive huts).
dyakonova-nv-1980-3.jpg

dyakonova-nv-1980-4.jpg

Their perfectly armed army consisted from cavalry and infantry. They won battles against Sassanid Empire and as result their expeditionary forces break forth to North Caucasus and Black Sea region... How it's ended everyone is known.

klashtorny-savinov-2005-1-05.jpg

Later in VI-VII centuries their Empire has been fallen upon joint strikes of Sassanid Empire and mighty Turkic Khaganate. Remnants of Huns flee into India where has been assimilated by locals. From this period  dominance of Turkic people in Central Asian region has been beginned.

• Like 1

More ancient Aryans now. Adronovo culture  2000 BCE.

Indo-Iranian_origins.png

336px-Woman_of_Andronovian_culture.jpg

sibir_52.jpg

They are inventors of chariots and superior warfare methods.
sibir_49.jpg

Their furious expansion happened in 2000 - 1500 BCE, nobody can resist to them, even such powerful civilisations as Ancient Egypt, Ancient India and Schumer fall upon them.

Chariot_spread.png

They're builders of  kurgans.

http://pochit.ru/pars_docs/refs/14/13672/13672_html_m265e2408.png

These "nomads" live in towns also.

http://rudocs.exdat.com/pars_docs/tw_refs/170/169341/169341_html_5ac1befd.png

http://cat.convdocs.org/pars_docs/refs/123/122289/122289_html_4e7fe4ec.png

imgee27faedcd814e19b797cc678726e0e7-e133

They build sacred circular cities also. Such Aryan cities can be found in Asia Minor, Middle East, Ural and Central Asia and other places.

arkaim._muzej__1_.jpg

maket02.JPG

Actually all Indo-Iranian people continue build such circular cities much later - in times of Achaemenid Empire (VI-V BCE) or even in times of Kushan Empire (as this sacred castle of kings in Central Asia).

%25D0%2591%25D0%25B5%25D0%25B7+%25D0%25B

hall of kings in this castle.

st039_00.jpg

• Like 1