Update #86: Polish, Feedback, Bugfixing, and Goodies

A calendar wouldn't quite work because the game will be released months into 2015 instead of right at the beginning. Something nonconsumable would still be best, from a collector's point of view. I'd take a paperweight over the paper. A die with logos still seems most appropriate, though.

• Like 2

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

they should give those guys with the physical rewards one of the cypher wheels they mocked up several months ago. I forgot the game I played in the 80's or early 90's that used that so you could continue your game. That was so much fun.

Cypher wheels ? What should that be? I have never heard of such a wheel. Do you remember a game that contained such a wheel? I only remember some games with a wheel that worked as a copy protection.

Edited by lightblade75

Are there any plans for a beta access for all backers?

I think you have to buy a Beta code. I hope that for their next Kickstarter project, Obsidian will offer the Beta to all backers, but in the situation of Pillars of Eternity, the Beta was available only for higher tiers. This basically means that it gave backers an incentive to back at those higher tiers if they really wanted Beta access.

I'm glad we have  lots of folks beta testing. I'm curious to know how many beta dl there have been to date? I know there's got to be a pretty large amount which should really help them flesh out the game compared to when the old I.E. games came out. Does the beta collect any info behind the scenes of play mechanic's such as how many quests were completed, or most killed enemy or anything else like that?

Are there any plans for a beta access for all backers?

I think you have to buy a Beta code. I hope that for their next Kickstarter project, Obsidian will offer the Beta to all backers, but in the situation of Pillars of Eternity, the Beta was available only for higher tiers. This basically means that it gave backers an incentive to back at those higher tiers if they really wanted Beta access.

No plans for an open beta of that nature. It wasn't just the higher tiers, but Obsidian at some point added the $25 beta testing "add-on" to the Kickstarter, so there are no doubt a whole bunch of those beta keys with the lower tiers. How many are properly participating and filing detailed bug reports is another matter; I do not believe the beta software has any automated capabilities, but I could be wrong (that info goes in the beta forums).

Also, while the cipher thing is a cool idea, I'm sure it'd cost more than the notepad Obsidian has proposed; a paperweight/d20 is still better either way. :p

Edited by Ieo

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

More beta keys - more money for PoE, maybe more feedback from the beta testers. Maybe it was not such a good idea to make the beta keys sort of expensive.

Regarding the "Cipher Wheel" - can anyone explain me what this is? I just can't imagine what that shall be. Is it a kind of copy protection wheel?

• Like 1

More beta keys - more money for PoE, maybe more feedback from the beta testers. Maybe it was not such a good idea to make the beta keys sort of expensive.

I disagree about making beta keys cheaper or free. As I posted elsewhere some time ago, people misunderstand what beta testing is, where quantity is absolutely not the same as quality feedback. Too often some random user will just say "there's a bug with X, please fix." I understand how having paid beta testing might rub some people the wrong way ("why should we pay to test for you?")*, but I look at this a bit differently: By placing a pay gate on beta testing, whether built into higher KS tiers or like this, I would hope that someone should think twice about the responsibilities of testing as a privilege (because good feedback should/will be taken seriously, so you'd have a hand in guiding development!) and that betas are by nature flawed--basically reducing the noise-to-signal ratio, theoretically. Obviously there are other traditional methods of initiating closed and open beta tests, like by invitation only (typically for closed testing and requires an NDA), but this way is fine.

Clearly Obsidian has been getting enough quality feedback such that they pushed back the release date. If there wasn't enough good and detailed testing going on, releasing something half-baked is much worse.

*My stance on this is in deep contrast to the situation where some companies actually release buggy games for retail purchase, hence forcing the final user to beta test for them and then releasing hotfixes and tons of patches later (the super bad way to go about beta testing).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

AHA I found it. This, this is what they should recreate for Pillars of Eternity, I don't care if it's just for nostalgia, or for solving puzzles on a wall, or for scavenger hunt to find secret loot in the game, but this would be so frikkin cool.

So frikkin' awful, you mean. Never has a more fiendishly subtle instrument of torture been devised by the hands of humanity. :p

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• 2 weeks later...

I've never chimed in on these forums, but bravo for taking the time to delay. This is why I like backing projects like this in places like Kickstarter; the last thing we need is publishers pushing developers like Obsidian to release before it's ready.

Great news for the localization, I'd love to savour PoE in my native language (also crossed fingers for it to be of good quality, we have our history of crappy translations)

I came here looking for news about the game.. I read "italian localization" and I preordered the game :)) Thank you very much for the localization

For the German languge: This is quite a nice translation and reads very well and afaik with no big mistakes.

I could not find any bugs in the German translation so far.

Only thing is that the flavour texts you get while clicking the "magnifying spots" are still missing in German.

Edited by lightblade75