Update #86: Polish, Feedback, Bugfixing, and Goodies

Update by Brandon Adler, Lead Producer

Hello, everyone. It has been a little while since our last update to our backers and there have been some important developments (and additional goodies) of which I'd like to make you all aware.

Additional Time for Polish and Feedback

Through your help and feedback, the Pillars of Eternity team has spent the past two years creating a fun, fulfilling experience. An open development has enabled us to interact with our fans and backers in a way we weren't able to in the past, and this has really helped shape Eternity into a game that we all hoped it would become. Plus, with the Backer Beta, we have been able to get excellent feedback from our backers that we are using to shape Eternity into an even better game. We really can't thank you enough.

To incorporate as much feedback as possible, polish every nook and cranny of the game, and make sure we don't ship a buggy game, Obsidian has decided to push the game's release into early next year. We are going to use the extra time to make Eternity shine for our backers, and a game that we were proud to call our own and would live up to your expectations.

Once again, we want to thank you for making this all possible. With your help we can bring Eternity across the finish line.

Speaking of Backer Beta

We are hard at work implementing feedback and bugfixing items in the Backer Beta. One of the major focuses for the team over the past few weeks was adding in additional character progression options and cleaning up UI to make combat a little less chaotic.

You can expect everything from additional Talents and Ability selection choices to UI and HUD improvements in our next update. We are also very close to getting the Mac and Linux versions of the Backer Beta to you guys. It may even make it into the next Beta update.

In fact, here is one of the Backer Beta requested UI changes - Infinity Engine-style targeting reticles.

pe-target-580.jpg

Physical Replacement for Documentary DVDs and Blu-rays

A while back we mentioned that we were going to be removing the documentary DVDs and Blu-rays as physical rewards because we would be unable to include the end of production so the discs could be pressed in time for delivery. The documentary will now only available as a download through the backer portal.

To compensate we have created a brand new memo-style notepad for those backers that would have received a physical version of the disc. Here are a couple of pages from the Pillars of Eternity themed notepad.

pe-notepad-580.jpg

Plea for Surveys

Even though we have locked down backer rewards on the portal, we are still able to add in memorial and credit text into the game. If you have memorials or backer credits, and you haven't filled out your survey, please head over to the backer portal and fill them out.

Italian Localizations

Many of our Italian-speaking backers asked for us to include them in the list of languages we were localizing for the game. After speaking with Paradox about the issue it was decided that we would include Italian localizations. For those folks that have access to the Backer Beta, they should see Italian languages options (and corresponding translations) as soon as our next update.

BEDLAM!
ks-bedlam.jpg

What do you get when you mix turn-based combat, rogue-like inspired features, and giant armored machines? BEDLAM! Check out this new Kickstarter by our friends at Skyshine Games and get into the post-apocalyptic fun. It is inspired by games like Banner Saga, FTL, and XCOM. How can you go wrong?

• Like 32

Additional talents and abilities available as you level up your characters?

Improved UI and more customizable UI?

Cleaned up combat and more sweet IE-class combat feedback functionality?

Sign me up! :grin:

• Like 6

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Looking good! I'll still hold off playing backer beta any more than I have until the menu slowdown bug/optimization has been fixed though (even though last patch greatly improved it for me).

P.S. Bedlam! looks great too! Will definitely be backing that :)

Edited by fortuntek

Sensuki: Given that's a close-up, and the busy background (straws of grass), I'm inclined to agree. In fact, that goes for the marker circles as well. Make all of them twice as thick, and see if it improves the feedback without becoming to garish.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

pe-target-580.jpg

Is anyone else noticing by the weird graphics?

I am aware it is a screenshot, but the character models are not precisely defined. For instance it's hard to tell apart the two models on the left. Where does the blue character end and where does the enemy behind him start?

Everything looks very 'fuzzy'/blurry. 

Also the left character looks like he has a transparent left leg.

Edited by Quantics
  • Like 3

Waiting for the patch now... ^^

• Like 1

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

pe-target-580.jpg

I am aware it is a screenshot, but the character models are not precisely defined. For instance it's hard to tell apart the two models on the left. Where does the blue character end and where does the enemy behind him start?

Quantics: This has been a common complaint since the beta began. Actually, it looks much better now. At the start, some models looked like faint ghosts. However, this needs to be fixed once and for all. Wasteland 2 has no problem in this regard, and nor has T:ToN, judging by vids that have been shown.

Obsids, pick up the phone, and place a call to InXile. They can help you with this issue, surely. :biggrin:

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

The IE targeting rectangles were more as if the made a cross within the circle rather than make some sort of sniper scope, i.e. more compact.

More like the left one:

IRWzO4U.jpg

But since they're animated, this screenshot could have been taken when the circle is the most expanded.

EDIT: I assume they're animated...

Edited by Zed
  • Like 1

Update by Brandon Adler, Lead Producer

In fact, here is one of the Backer Beta requested UI changes - Infinity Engine-style targeting reticles.

pe-target-580.jpg

As I haven't had access to the beta, I'm not really sure what I'm looking at here. Where should I be looking for this 'reticle'? Are you referring to the red arrow points perhaps?

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The IE targeting rectangles were more as if the made a cross within the circle rather than make some sort of sniper scope, i.e. more compact.

More like the left one:

IRWzO4U.jpg

But since they're animated, this screenshot could have been taken when the circle is the most expanded.

EDIT: I assume they're animated...

It is animated and that was at its largest point.

• Like 5

- image -

Yeah... Methinks the characters need to be treated slightly (the key word here being "slightly") different from the environment. I dunno if they need a subtle "outline" (like an edge shadow or something), or what. But, they need enough contrast to be clearly defined as individual character shapes on the screen plane, without just goofily standing out everywhere they go.

Also, it's not so bad in that grass (as it seems to sort of envelope their feet), but on flat ground, I think they still need darker/more-concentrated shadows right around their feet, to connect them more to the ground.

Also also... keep on' a-polishin'! We muchly appreciate your dedication to making sure the game has a nice sheen to it, ^_^

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

pe-target-580.jpg

Quantics: This has been a common complaint since the beta began. Actually, it looks much better now. At the start, some models looked like faint ghosts. However, this needs to be fixed once and for all. Wasteland 2 has no problem in this regard, and nor has T:ToN, judging by vids that have been shown.

Obsids, pick up the phone, and place a call to InXile. They can help you with this issue, surely. :biggrin:

Some games give their figures dark or light outlines. While this may stunt realism a bit it does prevent models with similar colours from blending into each other.

• Like 1

:clap clap:

Thank you for the localization.

And for working so hard. Please don't kill yourself with the crunches, ok?

But now that you have time don't forget to animate the grass. Grass physic. Seasons. Beautiful golden wheat fields in the wind!

Still, don't listen to every whim of your backers.  Unless it's my idea. :whispers: "animaaated graaass"

• Like 5

I've come to burn your kingdom down

Great news, everyone!

But futurama aside, is there a rough estimate for the arrival of the patch?

Personally, I'd prefer more patches with less content then the opposite, but it's probably easier for feedback and development the way it is now.

We are hoping that we can start releasing patches weekly at some point.

As for the next patch, I would like to release it this week, but it might have to come out next week. I would like to try and get Linux fixed on Steam before pushing out a new patch.

• Like 6