Keyrock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fYYWMtj1Ag&list=UUwLw7wMt6ra3yIdSd8EK8FQ

So, is anyone else excited for this upcoming TV series?  This is the first show since Breaking Bad went off the air that has me legitimately excited.  For those that don't know, Constantine is adapted from a long running, highly popular DC comic.  The character of John Constantine is highly beloved, ironically because he's kind of an a-hole.  As with any TV adaptation, I'm sure compromises will be made.  One is already known for sure, John Constantine won't smoke in the TV show (I guess you can't do that in prime time on network TV these days), which is a bummer since it is part of his character, but what are you gonna do?  Anyway, I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment.

The show kicks off on the 24th on NBC 

Please don't suck.

Please don't suck.

Please don't suck.

praying.gif

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Looks to be a pale imitation of Hellblazer.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It's about time we had a series about what is arguably one of the more influential Emperor's, Little Boot's and Nero always hog the limelight, along with Caesar and Augustus, but the later Emperor's are worth studying in my opinion. Bravo.

• Like 5

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fYYWMtj1Ag&list=UUwLw7wMt6ra3yIdSd8EK8FQ

So, is anyone else excited for this upcoming TV series?  This is the first show since Breaking Bad went off the air that has me legitimately excited.  For those that don't know, Constantine is adapted from a long running, highly popular DC comic.  The character of John Constantine is highly beloved, ironically because he's kind of an a-hole.  As with any TV adaptation, I'm sure compromises will be made.  One is already known for sure, John Constantine won't smoke in the TV show (I guess you can't do that in prime time on network TV these days), which is a bummer since it is part of his character, but what are you gonna do?  Anyway, I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment.

The show kicks off on the 24th on NBC 

Please don't suck.

Please don't suck.

Please don't suck.

praying.gif

I am extremely excited, can't wait actually   :dancing:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's about time we had a series about what is arguably one of the more influential Emperor's, Little Boot's and Nero always hog the limelight, along with Caesar and Augustus, but the later Emperor's are worth studying in my opinion. Bravo.

Well played, Nonek, as usual.  :yes:

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I haven't watched the pilot yet.  I'll give the show the standard 3 or 4 episodes I usually do to a show I'm highly interested in to suck me in.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

If it makes you feel better, his name is at the top of the test I give on the rise and fall of the Roman Empire.  Although I usually just get rubbish answers like "He moved the capital 850 miles to the east."  Congrats, you can memorize fairly useless facts.   :banghead:     

• Like 2

First episode was so bad, I probably won't ever watch this show again.

Yeah.

Constantine's supposed to be a con-man, trickster and probability warper, not an exorcist.

Edit: also, there's the issue of making him straight and non-smoking because REASONS.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Really should have been a HBO series.

In fact, I'm surprised that Warner hasn't mined their darker DC and Vertigo stuff for shows on HBO at all.

It's kind of perplexing, actually. There is so much untapped potential there.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Yeah.

Constantine's supposed to be a con-man, trickster and probability warper, not an exorcist.

Edit: also, there's the issue of making him straight and non-smoking because REASONS.

I've only read the early Jamie Delano run of HELLBLAZER, along with a few sprinklings of Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore. He seemed to like women just fine.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yeah.

I've only read the early Jamie Delano run of HELLBLAZER, along with a few sprinklings of Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore. He seemed to like women just fine.

In my understanding Constantine is bisexual in comics as he sometimes has sexual relationships with men. Although all his serious relationships has been with women.

I didn't think it was that bad. Giving it 3 or 4 episodes sounds like a good idea to me.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Yeah.

I watched the pilot after realising it was out, and all I can say is its.....really bad....like really bad

I'm not sure if its the writing, or the acting. But all I can hope is the main series is better

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

They have pretty much said that the girl is gone about 4 or 5 episodes in. So while she's in that first episode more for the "I have no idea what's going on, please explain things to me" role for the audience, and then seemed to be the main reason for "monster of the week", it looks like there's going to be a switch off to something else.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yeah.

In my understanding Constantine is bisexual in comics as he sometimes has sexual relationships with men. Although all his serious relationships has been with women.

Yupp.

Also worthy of note is the fact that the character originally appeared in Moore's Swamp Thing, and IMHO the incarnation closest to that original version of Constantine is Azzarello's (where, tangentially, he was openly bi and quite enthusiastic about BDSM). Which is, strangely enough, widely despised among the fandom.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

A Constantine who doesn't smoke or curse is no Constantine.

But it was written by Goyer so it isn't surprising.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

If it makes you feel better, his name is at the top of the test I give on the rise and fall of the Roman Empire.  Although I usually just get rubbish answers like "He moved the capital 850 miles to the east."  Congrats, you can memorize fairly useless facts.   :banghead:     

Settles in Constantinople an uneasy peace is maintained with Rome, but it wont last. Converts to christianity and the city becomes the center of the authodox church. 

This is all sans google, how did I do ?

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

From what I heard the negative reaction to the pilot got them to retool the series, making it closer to the comic. Girl from the pilot is being replaced with a sorceress ex girlfriend.

Edited by Oerwinde
  • Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

From what I heard the negative reaction to the pilot got them to retool the series, making it closer to the comic. Girl from the pilot is being replaced with a sorceress ex girlfriend.

I hope so, I really hope so .... :ermm:

John Milton 

A Constantine who doesn't smoke or curse is no Constantine.

But it was written by Goyer so it isn't surprising.

That Goyer? Ugh ...

Yes, the same Goyer who thinks Martian Manhunter is too corny for movies(but "Dawn of Justice" isn't), She-Hulk was created as a sex object for her cousin, and that Superman snapping necks somehow creates a sense of hope.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I watched the premiere last night, which, I guess, was the pilot.  There's no denying it was a disappointing start.  Still, I'm going to keep an open mind and give it at least a few more episodes to get better.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸