Trolls analysed

Walsingham

Trolls are thought to possess a suite of nasty character traits called the "dark tetrad", which means they possess the charming combination of narcissism, sadism, Machiavellianism and psychopathy.

This makes them vicious, manipulative, cruel, self-obsessed, abusive and quite possibly bananas.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/10/internet_trolls_dark_tetrad_personality_defects/

And the paper in question:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886914000324

Crucially, from the paper.

Enjoyment of other online activities, such as chatting and debating, was unrelated to sadism. Thus cyber-trolling appears to be an Internet manifestation of everyday sadism.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've known some internet trolls that, sadly, have the same attitude in real life. 

I don't mean they are just horrible people. I'm talking about how their speech patterns, thought process, and the like are 1:1 how they act online.

I personally think it's derived from a sort of negative reinforcement. They've been unsuccessful in getting positive attention and so they (being human and social being that crave attention rather that being ignored) resort to being obnoxious to at least get some reactions from people. Then they develop a "me vs them" mentality to cognitively handle the negativity.

Not the healthiest approach, but I imagine it's a lot better than obscurity.

Edit: It's derived from seeing how they will completely change character if you focus and compliment on positive aspects of their personality and actively try to get your approval afterwards, also avoiding the negative feedback loop.

• Like 3

Fortune favors the bald.

...charming combination of narcissism, sadism, Machiavellianism and psychopathy

Are they seriously suggesting that managers, business leaders and organized crime bosses are more likey to spend their time trolling the Internet than others?

As you may have heard, those traits (narcissism, machiavellinism, psychoptahy) have historically been attributed to the those kinds of shady people.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

'Troll' is a hopelessly ill defined group, are we going for subjectively judged trolls or self confessed ones- in which case, lol, self confessed psychopaths/ narcissists. And in the other, might as well write a paper saying that, I dunno, gamergate people/ sjws are psychopathic narcissist machiavellian sadists, because they consider each other trolls; and you can find some people in each group who clearly do exhibit those same traits. 

Edited by Zoraptor

I think the vast majority of internet trolls are just people bored and trying to let off some steam, but there will be a few interesting cases.. Which I think are the kinds this paper is about? or at least the kind that seem to get off on it :)

Fortune favors the bald.

Trolls are thought to possess a suite of nasty character traits called the "dark tetrad", which means they possess the charming combination of narcissism, sadism, Machiavellianism and psychopathy.

This makes them vicious, manipulative, cruel, self-obsessed, abusive and quite possibly bananas.

They're English?

• Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

As a veteran troll of the internet, Im deeply offended by this prepostrous slander. We just have a weird but well-developed sense of humor, that's all.

...btw, people who send death/rape threats are not trolls. They're ****.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

There's a fun art to it, if done well, need to know what buttons to push and how to do it and avoid punishment from moderators or whatever.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The best troll is never discovered.

One example i used several times is to go to any cinema/homestudio-forum and claim that 4:3-ratio is inheritly better than 16:9, 16:10 and so. Preferbly with made up graphs outragous arguments about FOV of the human eye and so on.  

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

As a veteran troll of the internet, Im deeply offended by this prepostrous slander. We just have a weird but well-developed sense of humor, that's all.

...btw, people who send death/rape threats are not trolls. They're ****.

First of all, some of the people writing that **** are trolls.

A troll is anyone that writes **** just to rile others up.

I also think people sometimes  throw around the word  "Troll " when convenient or when they don't share  a certain perspective

So in other words, " I don't understand how user X can say that, he must be trolling "

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

'Troll' is a hopelessly ill defined group

Indeed. There are Trolls, there are "Trolls" and there are *Trolls* and various cross breeds between them.

Not in any way scientific, just observations from being on the Internet since it's early days when it was mostly available to universities and a few major tech companies, my own experiences and observation of a few troll types (and guessing their motivation):

Some People seems to like attention. If not attainable through a charismatic presence, interesting ideas or just by being always present, the last resort seems to be trying to be outrageous. Either by mocking, taunting, flaunting or just being contrary to popular opinion. Being right or wrong doesn't matter, as Long as the position is opposite of whatever is perceived to be popular.

Some people seems to genuinely socially dysfunctional and their internet persona are reflections of the real person. Reminds me of the kind of people who visits nightclubs or football games to pick fights. Lots of anger and aggression and they can't control it. Noticeable on forums as uncontrollable ranting at other people long after a subject being discussed has died of boredom. Often in denial too about being unnecessarily aggresive and spoiling for a fight (the fault is everyone elses).

Then there are the psychopaths who seems to get a kick out of causing other people pain, either by stalking, constantly belittling or a persistent barrage of snide remarks and thinly veiled insults. The more they can make their victim squirm in discomfort, the better the day has been.

I think most people are just part time trolls though and occasionally we all have a bad day, happened to bored in the moment or the wrong subject comes up at the wrong time and we let remarks fly that may not have been posted on another day.

Edit: Grrr... German spellchecker capitalising a lot of words.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Then there are the psychopaths who seems to get a kick out of causing other people pain, either by stalking, constantly belittling or a persistent barrage of snide remarks and thinly veiled insults. The more they can make their victim squirm in discomfort, the better the day has been.

You make this sound like a bad thing. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You make this sound like a bad thing. :p

Does Gorths comment resonate with you Malc, I imagine you can identify with that type of troll personality ;)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I also think people sometimes  throw around the word  "Troll " when convenient or when they don't share  a certain perspective

So in other words, " I don't understand how user X can say that, he must be trolling "

Or in your case when it becomes akin to talking to a chunk of wood.

Edited by Malcador

Time to give it a break guys... ;)

A bit of exercise, spot your own forum (flame) warrior type

Flame Warrior Guide

Yes, I know it's OLD. It's still oddly relevant though and archetypes doesn't really seem to Change much over time.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

New to me, most amusing.

I'd like to think i'm a Philosopher, in reality I fear that I may simply be a Toxic Granny however.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/trolls-will-always-win/

Guys here is a long but informative read about the pernicious outcome  and organised strategy that Trolling has. It also covers the abuse that women receive online when they are perceived to threaten the status quo.

John Milton 

A good troll is surely no better than a popular bully - while not being the same thing.

Just because their antics amuse you doesn't make them any better people.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A good troll is surely no better than a popular bully - while not being the same thing.

Sure it does, they are just winding people up. Displays, in some cases, some good wit and quick thinking.

Sure it does, they are just winding people up. Displays, in some cases, some good wit and quick thinking.

Then I politely urge you to find more interesting ways of passing your brief span than deliberately making life harder for people for your idle amusement.

Failing that I hope someone kicks you square in the balls. So I can laugh.

-Elwood Blues