What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

Yeah. The wolves are a controversial issue. I think there are too many of them personally (though I believe many spawns are random), it feels like an artifical "videogame obstacle" in a game that otherwise tries for realism. I hope they tone them down later on. Flares are useful for keeping distance at least if you have them.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

They need fewer and instead some real wolf group that is hunting you. Right now they are nothing but brainless drones, drifting around randomly.

My first time in The long Dark and I survived over 15 days, then the gameplay started to bore me- you always do the exact same stuff all the time.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I found my Morrowind problem. I'm using a wireless mouse & number keypad for the controls. They both work fine on Oblivion & Skyrim. Morrowind does not like them. I plugged in a wired USB mouse and the problem is gone. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

7 Days to Die is graphically rudimentary (mostly) and so far I find it easier/more effective to smack zombies with my fist than with teensy knives or bone shivs. I like the looting aspect of the game (not surprising), haven't figured out building yet. Crafting required me to look up the wiki. Much more to do than in The Long Dark but yet somehow I like TLD better so far.

One day I'll find my perfect item looting/building with a bit of survival tossed in, sim.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

One day I'll find my perfect item looting/building with a bit of survival tossed in, sim.

You missed the recent 70% GoG sale of Don't Starve and its expansion (yes, it's that popular that it got an expansion). Great variety of gameplay, full of mysteries, stylish.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

I've seen that one. Cute, but seems more scavenge/combat and less building. I'm one of those who wouldn't mind no combat at all, at least sometimes, really....why does everything have to have combat in order to have a funness "point".

It'd be cool to have a huge survival sandbox world (hunger/thirst/shelter etc) with lots of looting, crafting, fishing/hunting, digging/building, but no enemies by default. When you were bored or built a base, you could use commands to trigger invasions if you wanted. Or at the most, certain small zones would be danger ones, but resources from those areas wouldn't be absolutely essential to survival...more like for luxury stuff.

And no, I don't want The Sims. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ah...7DTD's "low enemies" setting does work. I thought it was bugged or something. Guess it only works when you first start a save file/game. Much better vs. what felt like zombies every 10 feet even in the middle of the desert. Now to figure out how to make kewl bases.

Finally finished Alien: Isolation. It is a good game, but the final ending... meh. Wasn't that good.

Going for the DLCs now, I'll guess.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

snagged AssCreed Liberation, it has a lot of things going for it, the personas actually make a lot of sense, and change up the gameplay significantly, but the story needs a LOT of work. You just kinda do things with no context. I get that it was originally a Vita game, but throwing a couple text boxes around with some story bits would improve the game significantly.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Needing a break from the twitch action gameplay of Bayonetta 2 (a guy needs a change of pace after 75+ hours), I started playing Divinity: Original Sin.  I've been waiting for the Linux version to come out, which is why I haven't played it earlier, but, on a whim, I decided to see how it would run via WINE.  Lo and behold, not only does it run, it runs perfectly, even with all settings maxed out.  So, since it runs great, no need to wait for the Linux version, I can play it now, and when the Linux version does come out, I can just copy my profile and save files over and continue seamlessly (if the game does cloud sync it will do that for me automagically, but I never bothered checking if it does).  Anyway, I'm still pretty early in the game, still mucking around Cyseal, though I think I'm mostly done in this area and ready to move on.  My Source Hunters are Luciana, a cleric who's both a front line fighter and my primary healer, and Humphrey, a witch who's my all around magey dude.  For my companions, I scooped up Madora as a second front line fighter and Bairdotr as my archer plus thievery type.  I definitely like the game a lot so far, even if can be frustrating at times.  I like being able to wander into areas I have no business being, and the guards will warn me once that I probably shouldn't go there yet, but I can all the same and wind up getting obliterated (though I have won a couple battles I really had no business winning via creative use of the environment).  One big compliment I will give to the game is that it has probably the best pathfinding I've ever seen in this type of game.Things like your characters automatically avoiding spotted traps and hazardous surfaces may seem like a minor detail, but it makes the game so much less frustrating and tedious to play that it would have been if I had to babysit each character, one by one, around every trap.  Seriously, how has it taken until 2014 for a game of this type to finally get this right?  How is it that it's taken several decades of these types of games being made until someone was finally able to program pathfinding that doesn't make your characters look like complete imbeciles?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

*Sigh*

I was hoping to pick up some games on sale/discount for Black Friday, but the only games that are on sale are ones I don't want.  Far Cry 4 is full price, and Assassin's Creed is pretty close to full price (I believe about $9 off -- hardly a big savings).  Shadows of Mordor is actually on sale for like $25 off, but I'm not really interested in it.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

*Sigh*

I was hoping to pick up some games on sale/discount for Black Friday, but the only games that are on sale are ones I don't want.  Far Cry 4 is full price, and Assassin's Creed is pretty close to full price (I believe about $9 off -- hardly a big savings).  Shadows of Mordor is actually on sale for like $25 off, but I'm not really interested in it.

I grabbed Shadows of Mordor, but didn't pay attention to the direct x 11 requirement. So had to buy a new video card to play it. Didn't save me much :p

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Baldur's Gate II, with a variety of mods, including TobEx, Sword Coast Stratagems, 1PP, aTweaks, Spell Revisions, my own edited version of Item Revisions for proper compatibility with 1PP - I can't play with vanilla's default helmet animations... Additionally, using a creature and quest XP reducer mod; it's currently set to 75%, but I'm thinking of using maybe 66% or even 50% next time...as I still feel like I'm getting too powerful too fast. I'll see how that turns out by the end of SoA, though - maybe the first half is just kind of easy in general, even with my difficulty-enhancing mods.

Rolled my own party a few times, trying to get a "good" blend. Currently, it's composed of a half-elf sorceress focused almost entirely on dispel, disable, and damage spells, (what else would a sorceress do?), an elf cleric/mage for utility spells, a human dual-class swashbucker (level eight) -> cleric for combat (the Swashbuckler THAC0 boost and proficiency specialization really comes in handy) and additional divine spellcasting support (as well as lockpicking, trap-finding, and illusion-detecting), a half-elf stalker (not sure if this kit is really worth it...) for archery and melee, and a dwarf dual-class thief (5) -> fighter for pure fighting (and backstabbing and pickpocketing). The weakest character seems to be the cleric-mage; maybe I should make them just a full-on mage instead, since I certainly don't need more divine spellcasting, but I really do need the additional arcane spells my sorceress can't cast, and additional arcane prowess is useful in almost any situation anyways. The only real issue in that is it would break the weapon-type system I have going, where I'm covering pretty much all of the good weapon types...which I don't really like the idea of.

Spellcasters are really beating the crap out of me every time I come across a major one: the Guarded Compound in the Temple District was...very hard, to say the least, at around level 11. The mage in there - Sion, I think - was casting Timestops and Horrid Wiltings and summoning crap like crazy. Finally beat them, but it took a bit of effort and many re-tries. Ran into two liches in the Temple Ruins by the Umar Hills - without my sorceress, there's no way I'd have even close to enough endurance to take these guys down at this level. Need to use like 4-5 Secret Words and Pierce Magics per battle...then another few Breaches to get down their combat defenses while I pray to Jesus that they don't summon a Pit Fiend or Balor or something...

Heh, with reduced XP and SCS, it should be a pretty rough ride. I found arcane spellcasters fairly unmanageable until I disabled the annoying auto-stoneskin part of the buff that the mod brings, and even then, letting them get off more than 2-3 spells usually meant a reload. Basically, if I couldn't get the drop on them with a backstab, it was already an uphill battle. Watch out for liches, though. There was a bug with the mod not too long ago that made their Stoneskin impossible to remove short of hitting them with a Spellstrike (which you obviously don't have access to yet). That on top of Dispel Magic being bugged made fighting liches a pointless exercise until I could get Daystar and/or the improved Mace of Disruption.

Cleric/Mage is awesome later on though, when you can get creative with Spell Triggers and Chain Contingencies... but that won't happen until ToB and they suck until then. :D

Edit: Oh, you haven't mentioned Rogue Rebalance. Don't like that one?

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Oh, yeah, I have Rogue Rebalancing, too - but it's a comparatively minor mod to the others, I think. Yeah, the bug of Breach not affecting Liches has been fixed, thankfully. I'm like two levels higher than I was before, and I'm not finding liches *too* difficult anymore - and I'm trying to use zero cheesy tactics. The biggest hump I had to get over with this party was stupid Spell Trap - a level nine spell protection not affected by either Secret Word or Pierce Magic which made Liches effectively invulnerable because it absorbs Breach... I *just* got Ruby Ray of Reversal...or was it Khelben's Warding Whip? Can't ever remember which one it is - whatever dispells an up to level 9 spell protection - and slew the City Gates lich without too much trouble, and I have to go back down to the Temple Sewers to see if I can handle the Lich guarding one of Kangaxx's body pieces. I want to beat the Sewers' mindflayer cell, too, but dang, SCSs' improved mindflayers (and I'm using the option with enhanced physical resistances and they can see through invisibility) are just too hard. I'm also gonna try my hand against ths Shadow Dragon, maybe even Firkraag before I leave for Spellhold - we'll see!

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

*Sigh*

Yeah, with Far Cry 4 and AC, those were the only games I was really looking at if they were going to be on sale, however it's fine that they weren't due to still playing through DA:I and GTAV.  Oh well, later on I'm sure.  

BG2. Just destroyed the Shadow Dragon at around 1.6 million experience, (level 14, about). Killed Firkraag right after, then the Shade Lich, then the Sewers Mindflayer cell, (which I was only able to do by summoning a bunch of crap and then drawing them to me, since their mind devouring abilities are just too strong to take them head on). I think I'll try the Elemental Lich and then maybe Kangaxx next. Elemental Lich should be easy enough, but I'm pretty sure Kangaxx will annihilate me. If I *do* defeat Kangaxx, though, I'll try the Twisted Rune after that.

(edit) Haha, was looking at my characters' "most powerful kills" stats: my main character, the sorceress, has the Unseeing Eye as theirs - alright, not bad. The ranger has the Shadow Dragon - similarly, my thief-fighter has Firkraag. My mage/cleric, on the other hand, has just a bloody mindflayer as theirs, and my thief-cleric has "Giant Snake". I don't know when I fought a giant snake, but they must've been a tough foe to be on there!

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Played some Ryse on the console that is my pc. It took me a few hours before I figured out that the quick time event colors are actually the button colors of the xbox controller. lolz. Now many things make a lot more sense to me. When I first fiddled with the game I used mouse + keyboard and I couldn't stop but going "what the heck do you want from me?" at the tutorial text popups.

The graphics are really stunning. Even on low graphic settings it looks way better than most other games. Now if just the combat would be more fun... IMO the game fails a lot due to tedious and unfun combat. Also the story is stupid and I've got no idea from where the developers took their roman history knowledge (probably all the Hollywood movies). There is so much wrong in this game... It's almost as if they slapped everything into the game that random folks would connect with romans. An emperor with the name Nero, the main character must be a Marius, everyone is running around in Lorica Segmentata armor (of course pimped with modern age style details), ...

Meh. This game could be good with some changes here and there. The way it is now, it's just mediocre at best. Graphics simply don't make a game.

Edited by Lexx

It's almost as if Crytek knows how to make game engines that push the limits of graphics, but they can't actually make a good game any more.  On the bright side, the game does have next-gen boob physics

Ryse-Son-of-Romes-Weird-Boobs-Physics.gi

:facepalm:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Couple hours so far of the rather prosaically named Super Smash Bros for Wii U (I guess it saves the confusion of appending an arbitrary word at the end), it only having been released in Australia this past Saturday. It's pretty much as one would expect, incremental improvement. Unfortunately the campaign mode is not available online, local multiplayer only.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Needing a break from the twitch action gameplay of Bayonetta 2 (a guy needs a change of pace after 75+ hours), I started playing Divinity: Original Sin.  I've been waiting for the Linux version to come out, which is why I haven't played it earlier, but, on a whim, I decided to see how it would run via WINE.  Lo and behold, not only does it run, it runs perfectly, even with all settings maxed out.  So, since it runs great, no need to wait for the Linux version, I can play it now, and when the Linux version does come out, I can just copy my profile and save files over and continue seamlessly (if the game does cloud sync it will do that for me automagically, but I never bothered checking if it does).  Anyway, I'm still pretty early in the game, still mucking around Cyseal, though I think I'm mostly done in this area and ready to move on.  My Source Hunters are Luciana, a cleric who's both a front line fighter and my primary healer, and Humphrey, a witch who's my all around magey dude.  For my companions, I scooped up Madora as a second front line fighter and Bairdotr as my archer plus thievery type.  I definitely like the game a lot so far, even if can be frustrating at times.  I like being able to wander into areas I have no business being, and the guards will warn me once that I probably shouldn't go there yet, but I can all the same and wind up getting obliterated (though I have won a couple battles I really had no business winning via creative use of the environment).  One big compliment I will give to the game is that it has probably the best pathfinding I've ever seen in this type of game.Things like your characters automatically avoiding spotted traps and hazardous surfaces may seem like a minor detail, but it makes the game so much less frustrating and tedious to play that it would have been if I had to babysit each character, one by one, around every trap.  Seriously, how has it taken until 2014 for a game of this type to finally get this right?  How is it that it's taken several decades of these types of games being made until someone was finally able to program pathfinding that doesn't make your characters look like complete imbeciles?

I am rather annoyed that the Linux version is still not there. The only reason I can think of that it is taking this long is because they didn't think their choice of libraries through when they started out. Which also highlights why it is a terrible idea to develop on one platform and *then* port your game instead of taking some extra time up front and building for all platforms at once...

Personally I've been playing me some Shadow Warrior (the new one), made it to chapter 9 I think, which puts me past halfway done.

Also made it through the new event in Warframe, was even topping my clan's leaderbords when I did it (most of them are Mastery 16-18 veterans, so yay for me ;)), haven't checked back since then though but I'm sure someone beat me by now (but ignorance is bliss, so I'm going to revel in my awesomeness until at least this evening :p)

Edited by marelooke