What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

I'm up to chapter 15 in Bayonetta.  I have a feeling this is going to be the second to last chapter (I imagine the last chapter will be a boss fight chapter and this seems like a "regular" chapter).  More importantly, I discovered there's a Space Harrier level in this game, because of course there is.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Aarklash: Legacy demo. Oh wow, at least the first 2 hours of this game were way more polished and interesting than I had expected

Brilliant game. Every encounter hand placed and very good RTwP.

Pity loot sucks and replay value is non-existent since respec is basically a gameplay mechanic.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Finished inFAMOUS: Second Son (game #49 of the year) and it was better than inFAMOUS 2 but worse than the first inFAMOUS. It had some nice particle effects going when stuff got hectic.

Aw heeeelll naaaaw, son.

Was running through a game of EUIV as the Aztecs, got the furthest in the timeline that I've ever gotten before restarting, 1760s, new patch today added like 200 new provinces, so that caused some problems. Now there are bits of Portugese Brazil in the middle of Polan-Lithuania, and the Inca have a province in the middle of central africa. I do like the changes though. You can colonize along the Amazon now, bits of northern Australia, New Zealand is like 9 provinces now instead of 5, and the Tibetan plateau is now habitable.

Mexico was ridiculous. When you load an old save with the new patch, it kinda tries to fill in the blanks, so I have like 15 gold producing provinces in Mexico, and with the added provinces and rejiggering of trade zones, I went from making 250 per turn in income, to over 600.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Haha, yeah, you're not really supposed to play in between patches with (major) territory changes...lol

What do you think of the new/revised mechanics?

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Regarding Civ V. Apart from the nice visual presentation, its a pity they ditched the wonder movies. I know they get watched once or twice altogether, but still ... its 2014 and with every new game they make they cut more features out.

The lack of any stats in Civ BE after you win a game is frankly ridiculous. If I was going to go as far back as SMAC the list of features that Civ BE doesn't have could be as long as my leg.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Just started Icewind Dale EE. And then restarted when I decided I don't really need 25 points per level on my thief, I'd rather have an assassin.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Finished Bayonetta.  I'm going to take a brief break from the series to let my thumbs and fingers recover (my index finger, which I use to hit the dodge button took the most abuse) and engage in the annual Halloween Costume Quest playthrough, this year with double the Costume Quest!

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Killed Firkraag on my second attempt. My first attempt wasn't bad, I had him down to "Near Death" but I was wasteful with healing and spells. On my second try, things went more smoothly. The mage was more annoying than him as he would somehow get behind the dragon and therefore not easy to see at some points during the battle.

I also did start ToB with an evil character as I don't intend to import my SoA character. Or maybe I'll maybe run through the expansion twice.

Played a handful of missions of F-117A Stealth Fighter 2.0, but ultimately my enjoyment is being hampered by the lack of responsiveness in the controls, which makes precision stuff like landing and manual bombing much more of a chore than it needs to be (though the latter issue can be avoided by taking missiles instead of bombs). God, I wish there was a modern stealth 'fighter' game - and I don't mean F-22 sims because they miss the point about what the old game is about - a Thief-like experience where you avoid contact at all costs.

Anyway, relented and bought myself The Sims 4. I know, I know. But if I don't like it, I can just pass the game (i.e. the whole Origin account) to my sister who didn't like Sims 3's scope and might prefer the back-to-basics style of the new game.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Played a handful of missions of F-117A Stealth Fighter 2.0, but ultimately my enjoyment is being hampered by the lack of responsiveness in the controls, which makes precision stuff like landing and manual bombing much more of a chore than it needs to be (though the latter issue can be avoided by taking missiles instead of bombs). God, I wish there was a modern stealth 'fighter' game - and I don't mean F-22 sims because they miss the point about what the old game is about - a Thief-like experience where you avoid contact at all costs.

Not a sim in a stealth aircraft in the slightest, but in Digital Combat Simulator: Flaming Cliffs 3 there's a mission in the F-15C where you do river valley flying through the Caucasus barely 50 feet above the deck to sneak up on an A-50 "Mainstay" AWACS to shoot it down. The premise of the mission is simple enough, but it was probably one of the most fun times I had flying a combat flight simularor.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

So, anyone tried this Lords of the Fallen already and can share some thoughts about it? Heard it is pretty much a Dark Souls ripoff, but "without a soul" and full with bugs.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'm playing it right now. It doesn't match Dark Souls, but it's fun so far. I really like the level design. Art desgin reminds me of Diablo 3 and Warhammer. Combat is ok, but the boss design isn't that good. I haven't experienced any major bugs so far, but the performance on my PC isn't that good.

So, anyone tried this Lords of the Fallen already and can share some thoughts about it? Heard it is pretty much a Dark Souls ripoff, but "without a soul" and full with bugs.

Honestly the "without a soul" comment can also be made of Dark Souls 2. Some mechanical improvements but the fine balance&design and creativity took a massive hit.

But still, I've heard those things about Lords of the Fallen too. I'll wait a few months until most of the game-crashing bugs have been taken care of and the price has come down. It's like 10-15 hours long too, which is around half the length of shortest Souls game.

Edited by Nordicus

Lords of the Fallen is a good game, gameplay wise at least. The bosses and environments are however a touch unimaginative, and the plot is disappointingly mundane considering all the potential that it could have, what with the dead god and his rising from torpor. The pc port is a touch unstable and somewhat hammered by the drm punishing players performance, as well as some other issues.

All told i'd say that i'm happy with the purchase, it's no Severance but what is?

Oh by the looks of it you may not be able to gather all lore and secrets in one playthrough, and you will be given three playthroughs with the same character so as to master Warrior, Rogue and Cleric classes.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Costume Quest, and annual Halloween tradition.  I'm about halfway through it.  After that, Costume Quest 2, then onward to Bayonetta 2.  I also scooped up Painkiller: Hell & Damnation plus all the DLC, since it was dirt cheap (I paid $5 for everything).  I don't have time to play it right now, but once in a while I feel like playing some mindless old skool shooter goodness, and Painkiller fits that bill nicely. 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

XCOM: Enemy Within's base defense mission caught me with my pants down. I had 3 men in PSI Lab, at least 2 of them Major level, and I had just accidentally sent my absolutely fantastic Support Major, who sweats bullets and can basically flank anyone anywhere without repercussions, into a covert operation only few days before thanks to a missclick.

So I definitely didn't have many of my best units on hand, but (not so) miraculously, my best remaining mech trooper, sniper, assault and heavy and 4 "security personnel" managed to beat the invaders with 0 casualties. Yes, even all the 5HP weaklings stayed alive and I only played defensively at the last 2 waves

XyZxtaN.jpg?1

Why is Lords of the Fallen compared with Dark Souls? Isn't it more like Darksiders in setting, combat and art style?

Because Dark Souls is the soup du jour, everything gets compared to it.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Why is Lords of the Fallen compared with Dark Souls? Isn't it more like Darksiders in setting, combat and art style?

You mean how Darksiders has limited healing items replenished at checkpoints, punishing combat against small number of enemies, stamina determining how much you can block, run, attack or dodge, smaller interconnected areas with no mini-map, comparatively heavy and slow combat where spamming the attack button is punished, all unspent experience points and currency lost at the last location you died?

Oh wait right that's not Darksiders, that's *all* Dark Souls. And Lords of the Fallen, whose developers themselves have admitted the apparent influence even before we had a single bit of gameplay footage.

Edited by Nordicus