What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

Evil Within, not as tense as Alien, just a gore fest

You play as a cop, yes? Are you tasked with actual investigations and clue solving, or is you being a cop just an excuse to explain why you're at this place and now it's just survival horror in dark corridors?

Just an excuse. You do one 30-second investigation at the beginning before being kidnapped and sent to a meat locker

The Punisher, an old game but quite good, extremely violent of course but Thomas Jane provides a fantastic voice over and the plot is actually quite decent. Better than all three of the films. On par with Dirty Laundry i'd say.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm playing F.E.A.R 2 at the moment, its good fun. I know there was criticism that it wasn't as entertaining as F.E.A.R 1 but I am enjoying it

I have noticed it seems easier than the first one and the AI of the enemies isn't as impressive, but I may just be imagining that ?

FEAR fanboy chiming in, FEAR 2 isn't bad. FEAR 3 on the other hand...

The main thing FEAR 2 has going against it is the levels aren't as open and interesting. There's not as many cool opportunity to ambush the enemies as a result, which was the best part about FEAR 1.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm playing F.E.A.R 2 at the moment, its good fun. I know there was criticism that it wasn't as entertaining as F.E.A.R 1 but I am enjoying it

I have noticed it seems easier than the first one and the AI of the enemies isn't as impressive, but I may just be imagining that ?

FEAR fanboy chiming in, FEAR 2 isn't bad. FEAR 3 on the other hand...

The main thing FEAR 2 has going against it is the levels aren't as open and interesting. There's not as many cool opportunity to ambush the enemies as a result, which was the best part about FEAR 1.

That's true about F.E.A.R 2, I didn't think about that until you pointed it out

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Just beat the first rat boss in DS2. I made 23k souls with that one, because I had to kill so, so, so many rats. Obviously died quite a few times, but at least I was smart enough to collect the dropped souls again. So that one was a pretty good reward, I'd say.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Blade Symphony, since it's free to try on Steam for a while still.

YOWZA has this game put its claws in me. It felt super janky and such a cluster**** at first when I hadn't memorized the moves of 1 of the 4 characters, but when I put 1-2 hours in the practice room until I was in full control of this slow but deadly samurai fellow, it clicked.

It feels amazing to charge an attack in Light Stance at a distance, and then dash cancel forward right in the opponent player's face, catching them off guard and then do a quick series of horizontal slashes until they panic-roll away with 30% life lost already.

Then charge an attack again, this time in Heavy Stance. Opponent gets nervous and desperate, they try to interrupt my charge by attacking me, but no, it's likely too late, the moment they're in my reach, down comes the katana right on their head, taking rest of their health, because heavy attacks take priority over light and balanced on collision.

Round over. I press B to bow. Yisssssssssssssss

Just beat the first rat boss in DS2. I made 23k souls with that one, because I had to kill so, so, so many rats. Obviously died quite a few times, but at least I was smart enough to collect the dropped souls again. So that one was a pretty good reward, I'd say.

Using Soul Appease is the easy way to kill the rats.

Do you play online? The rat kings covenant pvp area are my favorite.

Using Soul Appease is the easy way to kill the rats.

Do you play online? The rat kings covenant pvp area are my favorite.

I've got that online stuff running, but honestly, I have no idea how exactly it works. The game isn't really explaining it very good. So far I like the hint texts from other players. It's pretty useful.

Killed some players who invaded my shait already, which wasn't such a big deal. No idea how to play in coop, though. So far I haven't seen any markings and stuff.

Then again, I had some oath sworn up until now that actually made enemies hit harder and prevented that coop stuff (I think), which was like... well, I was facepalming a lot when I found out about this...

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

So you joined the Company of Champions covenant. Yeah, joining that covenant prevents you to be summoned or summon other players into your world. I think leaving the Company of Champions should reset difficulty to normal (But I'm not sure of that). In order to play some coop you have to use either the small white sign soapstone or white sign soapstone. Place the soapstone before a boss fight or at a bonfire and wait until you get summoned. Online play also depends on your soul memory. You and the other player have to be in the same soul memory range.

Condemned > F.E.A.R

Actually I think it's FEAR 2 that is good, after that a lot of weak sequel soup. In FEAR 2 the level design is really good and the scares work. Graphical and game mechanic improvements over FEAR 1, which I have played at some time but can't really remember, probably because it's not very memorable. Condemned is a classic, but it's probably a bit graphically weak by now. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

FEAR 1...it's not very memorable.

You're dead to me, Gorgon. DEAD!

I will fight you.

I've played FEAR 2 quite a number of times. And I do like it. But the only thing it has over FEAR 1 appears to be texture res and polycount. Graphically, it lost the dust, damage, and compression wave effects of FEAR that greatly contributed to the chaos of firefights. It's not set up as well for the ambushes where you round a corner into slowmo, toss a grenade to the left, blow up two guys, flying kick another guy in the back, then turn around and headshot the last as he finally catches sight of you.

There's no gameplay improvements over FEAR 1. And the level design changed from sprawling office and warehous spaces into straight corridors broken up by arenas. The arenas are nice and where most of the action occurs, but they lost side passages, roaming, and ambushes.

• Like 1

I'm not sure whether to buy Evil Within or Alien Isolation.  Then again, I'm a wuss when it comes to survival horror games, so maybe both would end up sitting on my shelf not getting any play time.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Starting St. George's Bookshop in the Gabriel Knight 20th Anniversary release.

The music is as good as I remember. Missing Tim Curry though...

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Condemned > F.E.A.R

Actually I think it's FEAR 2 that is good, after that a lot of weak sequel soup. In FEAR 2 the level design is really good and the scares work. Graphical and game mechanic improvements over FEAR 1, which I have played at some time but can't really remember, probably because it's not very memorable. Condemned is a classic, but it's probably a bit graphically weak by now. 

In F.E.A.R you are an all powerful generic super soldier with those token John-Woo slo-mo capabilities of your average dude-bro protagonist.

Condemned has you play as an ordinary vulnerable ex-Fed who is on the run and has to fight through psychotic med-addicts, trying to whack you over the head with a steelpipe or the occasional shotgun, while they spout intelligible nonsense in a rage -- It's incredibly intense, and the atmosphere is thick as all hell, just my kind of horror game. Much like Silent Hill 2, it grants the player the true sense of being totally alone in a hostile environment that seemingly hates you in a very passive-aggressive way.

F.E.A.R lost me on its atmosphere and a little girl turning the lights off and on all the time got a bit redundant, and when the occasional good surreal sections were happening, it didn't take long before the repetitive bullet-exchange sessions took over and ruined all the fun.

So I'd say that Condemned was the better horror game from the old Monolith, Condemned 2 was.... eeeeegh, but it was still okay.

Incidentally, I've started a new play-through of the first game and still need to finish it.

Edited by TheChris92

I think FEAR was an excellent, excellent action-game. But the horror elements were, well... It was not particularly scary, not in the least. The atmosphere's good though, and I know I jumped more than one time when some soldier opened fire right in my ear after sneaking around.

Condemned was a nice idea I think, but I think the whole "vulnerable ex-cop" goes down the drain with the video-gaminess of it. You still whack a million crackheads throughout the game, you get shot and bludgeoned etc. It still manages to feel like a classic, game "monster-maze". Great idea but the way they did it was kinda self-defeating I think. Many disagree though.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I've been destroying the world with Plague Inc.Evolved.

Just having trouble with the Necroa Virus....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm a weak weak man...

Now that we have that out of the way: I started Borderlands the Pre-sequel (before finishing up BL2), I also started Legend of Grimrock 2.

I probably should finish up everything else I'm playing through first, but yeah, see the first line of this post ;)

On the subject of FEAR, FEAR was imho superior to the sequels in all respects except graphics. Of course it loses most of it's scare factor the second time through, same as most horror games do, because you now *know* what's going on. The not knowing wtf is going on around you is a big contributor to the scaryness of many a horror game (Dead Space 1 also comes to mind), the sequels lose most of that because by then you generally know what is going on (though frankly, some of the DLC for the first FEAR managed to keep that "sense of WTF" quite alive, alas they were retconned).

• Like 1