Looking for an online gaming group!

PoisonWar

Or I could GM something for a change. You sound like you could use a break?

That actually sounds great to me!

You got anything particular in mind?

I'm just gonna call it a "GM Appreciation Day" and let you choose what you'd like to play. A Top 5 list would be preferable since I'm not guaranteed to be familiar with your first (or second, or third) pick, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to GM something out of 5.

Edit: ...Then again, Zoli just had a birthday. So I suppose he's also welcome to chime in. Reach a consensus!

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I already have games going on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday night, but during the day I'm free. The thursday game is in jeopardy too and may be cancelled.

Erm... well... this is not an actual looking-for-group thread. I understand if it seems counter-productive, but, well, topic drift happens sometimes.

If you are looking for a - presumably online - group, I advise you to open a separate thread because pretty much nobody is reading this one aside from the four of us.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I already have games going on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday night, but during the day I'm free. The thursday game is in jeopardy too and may be cancelled.

Erm... well... this is not an actual looking-for-group thread. I understand if it seems counter-productive, but, well, topic drift happens sometimes.

If you are looking for a - presumably online - group, I advise you to open a separate thread because pretty much nobody is reading this one aside from the four of us.

Oh I was really just throwing my hat in, didn't read the whole thread. I'm not really looking just offering.

It's good to criticize things you love.

Edit: ...Then again, Zoli just had a birthday. So I suppose he's also welcome to chime in. Reach a consensus!

Thanks but I'm fine with picking from Sergiy's 5er list.

Well that's fine and dandy, but when I said "choose whatever you want" I meant "choose by the end of Thursday if possible", because I work best when I had time to prepare.

I'd actually like you to use a system you're comfortable with.

What have you previously GM'ed?

Good question! Lessee, from oldest to most recent:

- D&D (3E, but I've become more accustomed to 5E lately)

- Fate

- new World of Darkness (mortals)

- Orpheus (a somewhat obscure spinoff of Wraith: the Oblivion)

- Dark Heresy

- Black Crusade

- Mage: the Awakening

- Exalted Second Edition

- Legend of the Five Rings 4E

That said, a lot of these games happened years ago, and there are quite a few systems I have more immediate familiarity with than some of the more obscure games on this list. And some systems are just so plain bad I refuse to touch them again without very good reasons (Black Crusade and Exalted 2E are the worst offenders).

For completeness' sake, I feel compelled to also note some of the games I garnered some amount of familiarity with through playing:

- Eclipse Phase (a rather brief intermission in which I played an intelligent raven who was a violin virtuoso and a talented neurosurgeon; I was also preparing to GM it rather extensively, but that was a fairly long time ago and I'm not confident my preparedness would hold up)

- Pretty much every other W40K line published, although my time with Rogue Trader was brief, and with Deathwatch, thoroughly unpleasant. Only War is pretty enjoyable in small doses, though. (Since the system is largely the same as DH/BC's, I'm pretty confident I could GM any of these. Dark Heresy is probably my single most GMed and most played game as well.)

- Vampire: the Masquerade (I'm rather familiar with this one. Familiar enough to be able to GM it, in any case. Whether I want to is another question entirely, one I do not know the answer to. I have a complicated history with it, fraught with dominatrixes riding on giant winged skullz.)

- I think I could pull off Warhammer Fantasy 2nd Edition as well. System's very similar to DH, and I spent some time reading through it. I'm not sure it has anything that can't be done with DH as well, though.

- I have a pretty good working knowledge of Ars Magica's magic subsystem. The mundane parts I never really interacted with in depth, though.

And finally, systems I have no experience playing or GMing, but I definitely want to try:

- Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine: it's basically a Studio Ghibli simulator and probably the only RPG with which you could do The Last Unicorn. Pretty amazing. Not sure if practical. Also, the example of play is a thing of sublime beauty. Not to mention the task difficulty descriptions in the core.

- Trail of Cthulhu: it's like Call of Cthulhu with more narrativist mechanics. Investigation skills aren't rolled, instead you have a pool of auto-successes to spend from. Also doubles as a spotlight management mechanism. Wanna see how it works in play.

D&D 5e seems like something i'd be able to get into quickly!

What you think Zoli?

I think he's gonna be okay with it (he was salivating at the opportunity to play a 5E paladin pretty extensively last time I checked).

What tone, playstyle, environment and genre would you prefer?

D&D 5e seems like something i'd be able to get into quickly!

What you think Zoli?

I think he's gonna be okay with it (he was salivating at the opportunity to play a 5E paladin pretty extensively last time I checked).

What tone, playstyle, environment and genre would you prefer?

I wanna say anything goes, I have no preference here.

How about a nautical mini-campaign in the vein of Pirates of the Carribbean, where the characters soon become masters of an ancient ship of mystical origins and vast magical powers, then proceed to run around doing stuff motivated by enlightened self-interest and a desire for sweet loot?

How about a nautical mini-campaign in the vein of Pirates of the Carribbean, where the characters soon become masters of an ancient ship of mystical origins and vast magical powers, then proceed to run around doing stuff motivated by enlightened self-interest and a desire for sweet loot?

I dig it.

Good.

Would anybody complain if you started at level 3? Characters are way too squishy and the combat engine way too swingy for me to feel comfortable with trusting luck to keep a party of two level 1 adventurers alive, not to mention the fact that essential class features are handed out continuously in the 1-3 range.

D&D 5E session one

Cast:

- Fubsy, lightfoot halfling bard of the College of Lore, disgraced ex-knife thrower; protégé of Gregory the Gallant, a local pirate lord of some importance

- Vycarion, dragonborn cleric of the Azure Lady, draconic deity of the seas, freedom and exploration, who spent a large portion of his life on ships

Like many such tales, ours also begins in a tavern - The Treasure Trove, a cheap place perched halfway above the sea on sturdy wooden stilts. Our plucky heroes were celebrating their acquisition of a walrus skull and subsequent return from a sea voyage, followed by debating the merits of switching haunts, when half of the inn suddenly disappeared in a thunderous explosion of blue-green fire, and strangely tattooed fishman pirates emerged from the water to massacre everyone present. Thanks to their luck and 3rd level might, however, our heroes prevailed - but when the last of their enemies fell, they felt a strange burning sensation on their necks, and discovered that now they are the bearers of the very same tattoo they've seen on the fishmen. Not ones given to introspection, the pair started to help the wounded and the drowning instead of debating the implications of this turn of events, and by doing so, they've earned 200 gold doubloons from a local merchant as a token of appreciation, not to mention the undying gratitude of Durgó the Potty-mouth, local garbage man and corpse disposal expert, both of whom were among the rescued.

After resolving this minor crisis, they set out to look for the source of this disturbance, and soon found a rather ominous-looking ship with tattered black sails and rather unsavory outgrowths of sea life, whose figurehead - depicting a many-coiled serpent - bore an uncanny similarity to their tattoos. Overcame by a strange feeling of beckoning, they decided to board the ship, where they met Igor, a rather ghoulish-looking hunchback with a fondness for medical tasks and no concept of free will, who pledged himself to their service, and shown them the ship log of their predecessor. Amidst undecipherable pronounciations on an alien tongue, a few cryptic clues emerged, pointing at the reason of the ship's visit...

Notes:

- We completely forgot to note Fubsy's +3 skill proficiencies from College of Lore.

- Neither did we use the supremely useful Bardic Inspiration, although it being limited to 3 uses per day might explain that.

- I'm still puzzling out how xp awards should work.

- Also, some cooperative worldbuilding should take place later (mainly regarding tone and inspiration, because actual cooperative worldbuilding would be exceedingly stupid in a game about seafaring exploration).

- If Marky's interested in joining, I'd be happy to continue GMing this campaign next week.

• Like 2