Looking for an online gaming group!

PoisonWar

I'm thinking of making it kind of a kung-fu movie setting in modern day Shanghai, what do you guys think?

That sounds awesome, especially since Zoli's thinking about an Akashic Brotherhood character.

On the other hand, my very western and not at all kungfu-oriented character may not be the best suited to this concept. I'll replace him with a Son of Ether gunslinger or an Ecstatic socialite/kung-fu dude specializing in Forces and Time and oh my god writing this I have realized I've just created the unholy love child of Chimron and Elric. So probably it will be the gunslinger dude.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Kung-fu? Awesome.

I remember you guys saying that WoD products are more horror focused, is this campaign going to be oriented towards horror?

There will be elements of that, i'm drawing inspiration from Chinese mythology. But the majority of it will be you guys dealing with the complications of being a mage.

I'm thinking of making it kind of a kung-fu movie setting in modern day Shanghai, what do you guys think?

That sounds awesome, especially since Zoli's thinking about an Akashic Brotherhood character.

On the other hand, my very western and not at all kungfu-oriented character may not be the best suited to this concept. I'll replace him with a Son of Ether gunslinger or an Ecstatic socialite/kung-fu dude specializing in Forces and Time and oh my god writing this I have realized I've just created the unholy love child of Chimron and Elric. So probably it will be the gunslinger dude.

Remember that your characters don't have to be of Chinese descent, if they are foreigners, im happy to give them an extra dot in linguistics so they can speak basic Mandarin. And remember, the more eccentric the characters, the funner/funnier it will be! So you can have your gunslinger dress in a duster, wear a cowboy hat and maybe even wear the heavy boots with the star.

But yeah if you guys want to re-think your characters, and put more into martial arts, feel free.

But what I need is a bit of back story, who are your characters? what do they do/did for a living? What are they now doing in Shanghai?

So far i'm having a lot of fun writing down ideas that come to mind for this campaign,, Often in the middle of lectures... But that's just how things go..

Hey guys, I hope you see this during the day.

So apparently I miscalculated this week and the 13th falls on a Saturday... So It's my father's birthday and he's visiting for the occasion...
Long story short, how do you feel about doing the session tomorrow, at the usual time? Any other time suggestions are welcome.

Hey guys, since we were missing two players we had a session of Mage instead this week.

Next week we're missing Marky and potentially Dan. So we were thinking of doing a one-shot of Wushu, and something I noticed is that I can apply it to any setting.
How about we do a Wushu game set in Numenera?

I wanna be a kung-fu necromancer. Setting should support kung-fu necromancers.

Maybe I'm not a necromancer who does kung-fu, but a guy whose kung-fu does necromancy? I'm not sure how it would look like tho. (I guess I could take inspiration from Exalted, where you can beat people to death by looking at them innocently [black Claw Style], singing at them [silver-Voiced Nightingale], or by manipulating the pattern of reality itself to turn them into a tree with retrograde amnesia [border of Kaleidoscopic Logic]).

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

...God, just mentioning it made me want to play Exalted so much. I mean, you get to punch people so hard that they turn into a duck.

Edit: re:setting, how about The World of Maximum Badass?

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

you get to punch people so hard that they turn into a duck.

I'm looking into this ASAP.

I was thinking of doing something wacky for this upcoming session... i think i got the notes of an all Malkavian half-written campaign lying around here... Maybe I could salvage that.

As for Exalted: I'm looking into this, which edition am I best off getting?

Edited by PoisonWar

you get to punch people so hard that they turn into a duck.

I'm looking into this ASAP.

I was thinking of doing something wacky for this upcoming session... i think i got the notes of an all Malkavian half-written campaign lying around here... Maybe I could salvage that.

As for Exalted: I'm looking into this, which edition am I best off getting?

Well, the punching people 'til they turn into ducks bit you'll have to wait for until Sidereals comes out (they're the best* Exalted anyways, it's worth the wait). Re:editions, the Third Edition Core is currently in the art & layout phase, I suspect it'll be out in the first quarter of 2015, and you definitely want to wait for it, because a/ earlier editions had horrible systems**, and b/ because it's going to be really frickin' awesome (there was a playtest leak, so it's not just PR talk). If you just want to get to know the world, most of the First Edition will be semi-relevant; I'd recommend the Core for a general overview, The Scavenger Lands for a more detailed picture of the world, and Games of Divinity for the wider cosmology. Also, Masters of Jade from 2E is awesome and was written by the same authors as 3E, so it'll probably remain relevant.

*I mean, you get native powers like being able to hide between raindrops and the the minutes of the hour, planting a question into fertile soil that grows into a plant that whispers the answer to that question for you, cutting people up with strands of Fate itself, and dodging so well that the entire neighbourhood teleports with you across half the country, on top of all the funky Martial Arts styles they have.

**You've seen how clunky the oWoD core system is - 1st Ed had the same clunkiness with increased bookkeeping, while 2nd Ed was streamlined, but built on a deeply flawed core assumption (sky-high lethality coupled with easily available perfect defenses, leading to a/ characters without perfects being unplayable, shoehorning every character concept into a also being master of fighting, because perfects had really high combat ability requirements, and b/ long combat sequences where both participants just PD-d their opponent's attacks, leading to essentially nothing happening for a long time) and had a very confusing and hard-to-learn initiative system where instead of turns, everyone acted continuously, according to their relative Initiative score compared to that of the fastest actor, and the speed of the action they've taken last time. Also, both systems had a problem with the core engine simply not being able to function at the power level of the game.