SW: The Old Republic - Episode VII (J.J. Strikes Back)

Blarghagh

Hi,

I wanted to clarify something regarding this point

My bad. What I meant (and what Alanschu posted a few years back IIRC) is that from a content amount standpoint, the game was KotOR 3-5, not necessarily that the storyline picked up where K2 ended. I agree with the rest of your post.

I didn't know it was Karpyshyn who wrote the JK storyline, but judging from the general poor press the Revan novel(s) -which I haven't read- have got, I guess I understand why it's the story I liked least.

BTW, Hurlshot is a long time SWTOR player from what I've read, I'm guessing he's familiar with The Foundry/Maelstrom Prison and SoR plotlines.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

our main problem with the revan stuff in swtor is that we played (and liked) kotor 2. from bioware's pov, perhaps obsidian deviated too much from the original kotor story.  unfortunately for Gromnir, we liked the revan that kreia and the kotor 2 characters described and so when we got swtor revan, we were disappointed.  

more recent, we managed to get 2 characters from 0-50 on harbinger.  took a week and a half, and we spent no more than 90 minutes a day playing as we has been too busy for more serious leveling efforts.  unfortunately, our crafting/scavenging levels has serious languished as has raising o' affection for companions.  we were gonna level a vanguard to 50 and then focus on gearing a couple characters, but with 12x story xp making leveling so quick, we may go ahead and get a smuggler and agent to 50 as well.  the next expansion will give one free level 60, yes?  perhaps we do smuggler and then insta-level the agent in october.

as an aside, trying to get a dps flashpoint invite through groupfinder on harbinger is almost pointless. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah, I stopped trying to queue as DPS after capping my mara. The only other pure DPS character I have (slinger), I never bothered queuing up with. Other than that, I always carried two sets of gear to be able to perform as tank -insta-pop 95% of the time- or heals in group content. Field respec is best unlock evar.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Hi,

I wanted to clarify something regarding this point

My bad. What I meant (and what Alanschu posted a few years back IIRC) is that from a content amount standpoint, the game was KotOR 3-5, not necessarily that the storyline picked up where K2 ended. I agree with the rest of your post.

I didn't know it was Karpyshyn who wrote the JK storyline, but judging from the general poor press the Revan novel(s) -which I haven't read- have got, I guess I understand why it's the story I liked least.

BTW, Hurlshot is a long time SWTOR player from what I've read, I'm guessing he's familiar with The Foundry/Maelstrom Prison and SoR plotlines.

Jedi Knight story was written by Hall Hood and Drew Karpyshyn, I believe Hood is more responsible for Chapter 1 and Karpyshyn for Chapter 2 & 3.

our main problem with the revan stuff in swtor is that we played (and liked) kotor 2. from bioware's pov, perhaps obsidian deviated too much from the original kotor story.  unfortunately for Gromnir, we liked the revan that kreia and the kotor 2 characters described and so when we got swtor revan, we were disappointed.  

HA! Good Fun!

I played KOTOR 2 back in 2011 when I was "preparing" to play SWTOR, I don't really have a problem with the story they told, but I think fans do wrong by holding up KOTOR 2 narrative as the end all be all of the games based around the Old Republic Era.

Darth Traya tells you a lot of things about Revan, mostly it's her opinion, since I pointed out on other discussion that she wasn't with Revan during the Mandalorian Wars or the Jedi Civil War, so what she says is what she believed about him. In any case, even if Traya was right about Revan, there is not really much development of his character in SWTOR, he appears here and there, but the MMO is focused on the new generation of heroes.

Also the other Sith Lords on KOTOR 2 are abominations with barely any humanity left in them, pretty much a mockery of what Siths really are.

Edited by Chaz

Also the other Sith Lords on KOTOR 2 are abominations with barely any humanity left in them, pretty much a mockery of what Siths really are.

*eye roll*

Yeah, I stopped trying to queue as DPS after capping my mara. The only other pure DPS character I have (slinger), I never bothered queuing up with. Other than that, I always carried two sets of gear to be able to perform as tank -insta-pop 95% of the time- or heals in group content. Field respec is best unlock evar.

am leveling so fast that gearing 2x is not a priority, particular as am taking efforts to hoard basic comms.  if this were our main server, we would have all kinda extra gear to send between characters, but harbinger is our backup. as is, am delaying gearing upgrades to intervals o' 8 levels, with last pre-50 upgrade taking place at 41.  so, am chronic undergeared and am not having any reasonable opportunity to double our gear.  sure, once we hit level 60 we will work on multiple sets, but at the moment, it don't make much sense.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

*eye roll*

HA! Good Fun!

Keep in mind I'm referring to Sion and Nihilus, I know for a fact that most Sith from the Sith Empire would react with disgust to such inhuman monstrosities and also I say they are a mockery of Siths because Avellone implied that was the intent when these characters were created, Sion and Nihilus are how he sees Force Users who are devoted to the force (Dark Side in this Case) stripped of humanity and individuality.

Now that I think about it, I don't remember any likable Force User NPC from Kotor 2, they are well written, and memorable, but they all are kind of jerks, I guess Chris didn't see neither The Jedi nor the Sith in a positive light, nor the Force Itself.

*eye roll*

HA! Good Fun!

Keep in mind I'm referring to Sion and Nihilus, I know for a fact that most Sith from the Sith Empire would react with disgust to such inhuman monstrosities and also I say they are a mockery of Siths because Avellone implied that was the intent when these characters were created, Sion and Nihilus are how he sees Force Users who are devoted to the force (Dark Side in this Case) stripped of humanity and individuality.

Now that I think about it, I don't remember any likable Force User NPC from Kotor 2, they are well written, and memorable, but they all are kind of jerks, I guess Chris didn't see neither The Jedi nor the Sith in a positive light, nor the Force Itself.

*groan*

HA! Good Fun!

*eye roll*

HA! Good Fun!

Considering the kind of people that the Sith produce on a regular basis, I've got my doubts. They even followed a Nihilus wannabe until they learned he wanted to eat the -entire- galaxy.

image-163149-full.jpg

*eye roll*

HA! Good Fun!

Considering the kind of people that the Sith produce on a regular basis, I've got my doubts. They even followed a Nihilus wannabe until they learned he wanted to eat the -entire- galaxy.

Well, one thing I gotta give to Bioware is that they created a SIth Empire with great diversity, and no I don't mean race and sex, I mean that in a civilization where the Sith are integrated into society (as rulers) we get to see a lot of different kind of Sith. Sure, you have Siths as Generals and Warriors, but you also have Diplomats and Scientists.

My basis in saying the Sith would reject monsters like Sion or Nihilus lies on the Dread War, one of the Sith Lords sent to stop the Dread Masters, Lord Hargrev, was a well known sadist and torturer, however when he witnessed the things the Dread Masters do he decided that "they've gone too far", that they're inhuman, even for him who was a bad guy.

The Dread Masters are similar to the vision Avellone had for Sion and Nihulus, what happens when you take a force user, that commits to the force (dark side in this case) all the way? Sion was all about Pain, Nihulus about hunger, the Dread Masters were all about Fear, they could drive people insane just for being on the same planet as them and their powers were on a Cthulu-esque/Cosmic Horror level.

Edited by Chaz

*eye roll*

HA! Good Fun!

Well, one thing I gotta give to Bioware is that they created a SIth Empire with great diversity, and no I don't mean race and sex, I mean that in a civilization where the Sith are integrated into society (as rulers) we get to see a lot of different kind of Sith. Sure, you have Siths as Generals and Warriors, but you also have Diplomats and Scientists.

My basis in saying the Sith would reject monsters like Sion or Nihilus lies on the Dread War, one of the Sith Lords sent to stop the Dread Masters, Lord Hargrev, was a well known sadist and torturer, however when he witnessed the things the Dread Masters do he decided that "they've gone too far", that they're inhuman, even for him who was a bad guy.

The Dread Masters are similar to the vision Avellone had for Sion and Nihulus, what happens when you take a force user, that commits to the force (dark side in this case) all the way? Sion was all about Pain, Nihulus about hunger, the Dread Masters were all about Fear, they could drive people insane just for being on the same planet as them and their powers were on a Cthulu-esque/Cosmic Horror level.

I don't recall either Sion or Nihilus getting up to the kinds of things the Dread Masters were doing and once again the Sith Empire had no problems following a Nihilus wannabe. They only turned on him because they found out he was gonna kill all of them too.

image-163149-full.jpg

I dunno, the Sith society they created seemed pretty damn implausible to me.  The sheer amount of scheming, backstabbing and evil laughing betrayals in the MMO was baffling, I dunno how the Sith could get anything done at all.

I dunno, the Sith society they created seemed pretty damn implausible to me.  The sheer amount of scheming, backstabbing and evil laughing betrayals in the MMO was baffling, I dunno how the Sith could get anything done at all.

The stories do take place over a long period so it probably doesn't happen quite as often as it looks. Probably more in line with how often it happened in real life regimes.

image-163149-full.jpg

I don't recall either Sion or Nihilus getting up to the kinds of things the Dread Masters were doing and once again the Sith Empire had no problems following a Nihilus wannabe. They only turned on him because they found out he was gonna kill all of them too.

I don't think anyone in the empire knew the true nature of the Emperor, except maybe those that were closer to him. As far as they know he was the one that saved them from annihilation and lead them on rebuilding their empire pretty much from scratch.

I had made a point earlier that maybe Chris Avellone didn't understood the SIth or didn't write them too well, im particularly referring to Sion and Nihulus. It makes sense that the two apprentices would plot to overthrow the master, but after they overpowered Traya they should have obliterated her, instead they exile her? does that sound stupid to anyone else?

Any Sith worth a damn knows that if you let a threat like that live and walk away they might come back later to kill you, which is pretty much what happens, Nihilus is led to his death and Traya comes back and binds Sion to her will, if they had killed her, both of them would have still been alive.

Not to mention that after getting rid of Traya, Im surprised Sion and Nihilus didn't turn on each other right away, not necessarily to kill each other, but to establish dominance, you see there is no such thing as equal partnership among the SIth, they've always been very hierarchical, if they stick closer to SIth Tradition one of them should have been the master, and the other the apprentice.

Anyone that causes trouble for the Emperor would be immediately roflstomped by him or his wrath, during the period where the SWTOR takes place the Emperor has been "dormant" other Dark Lords describe him as "distracted" or  "absent" that's when many of most powerful Sith on the Dark Council try to make their move and grab power.

Edited by Chaz

...Duh?

I mean, that's the thematic statement the entire game makes.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Any Sith worth a damn knows that if you let a threat like that live and walk away they might come back later to kill you, which is pretty much what happens, Nihilus is led to his death and Traya comes back and binds Sion to her will, if they had killed her, both of them would have still been alive.

Not to mention that after getting rid of Traya, Im surprised Sion and Nihilus didn't turn on each other right away, not necessarily to kill each other, but to establish dominance, you see there is no such thing as equal partnership among the SIth, they've always been very hierarchical, if they stick closer to SIth Tradition one of them should have been the master, and the other the apprentice.

I disagree - breaking Traya and leaving her powerless on her own is necessarily not sith-y enough. Arrogance is a trait exhibited by many Sith and all the more prevalent the more powerful they are. Not killing Kreia wasn't the most cunning course of action, but where ever have Nihlus or Sion exhibited any cunning at all? That's part of the reason why Kreia considers them as failures, aside from both being only able to live through - or because of -  the force.

Also the power-struggle between Nihlus and Sion is part of the cut KOTOR 2 content - a cutscene where Nihlus pretty handily shows Sion just how pathetic he really is. :)

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

...Duh?

I mean, that's the thematic statement the entire game makes.

In my previous post I explained how the "Sith Lords"  in "KOTOR 2: The Sith Lords" don't behave like Sith Lords at all, and more like your classic tormented abominations from other Obsidian games, someone that you kinda want to put out of their misery more than anything.

So in my opinion Obsidian or Chris didn't quite get the Sith and Bioware did a better job at representing them.

I disagree - breaking Traya and leaving her powerless on her own is necessarily not sith-y enough. Arrogance is a trait exhibited by many Sith and all the more prevalent the more powerful they are. Not killing Kreia wasn't the most cunning course of action, but where ever have Nihlus or Sion exhibited any cunning at all? That's part of the reason why Kreia considers them as failures, aside from both being only able to live through - or because of -  the force.

Also the power-struggle between Nihlus and Sion is part of the cut KOTOR 2 content - a cutscene where Nihlus pretty handily shows Sion just how pathetic he really is.  :)

I think them letting her live was more part of the narrative of setting up Traya as someone that has been rejected by both orders, leading her to hate both of them and the force itself, the result is quite nice because you end up with her going to her Kreia persona and becoming a sort of  "Sith Philosopher"

But let's be honest here, not killing her was not just dumb, it was anti-sith, you don't have to be genius to think:

"hmm, maybe I should kill her now that she's weak and broken, she might recover her power and try to take revenge"

Now that you mention it, i think I've heard before about the power struggle between Sion and Nihilus, it's pretty cool, and I also think Nihilus, in a classic Sith Hierarchy structure, Nihilus should have been established as the master and Sion the apprentice.

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 1

So in my opinion Obsidian or Chris didn't quite get the Sith and Bioware did a better job at representing them.

That's true, but not because Obsidian or MCA didn't "quite get" the Sith, it's just that they/he used the game (and Kreia in particular) as mouthpiece for his critique on Star Wars' entire take on the black and white "good vs. evil" angle it has going - which of course is much better used in a typical Bioware storyline/setting. :)

• Like 1

That's true, but not because Obsidian or MCA didn't "quite get" the Sith, it's just that they/he used the game (and Kreia in particular) as mouthpiece for his critique on Star Wars' entire take on the black and white "good vs. evil" angle it has going - which of course is much better used in a typical Bioware storyline/setting. :)

Critique is fine and valuable, however some fans do think that KOTOR 2 is the end all be all of Star Wars storytelling, which is very wrong in my opinion.

The Exile and the three Sith Lords were very anomalous force users in what seemed to be a short "Dark Age" for the Jedi and Sith.

But when I point out that they didn't "quite get" the Sith it's because these Sith characters don't quite stick to Sith Tradition, they're very weird (I always got this weird NEMESIS vibe from Sion) Traya also sets up the "True Sith Empire" as something beyond comprehenson, when in reality there is no great mystery about the True Sith, they were ancient Dark Jedi that interbred with the Sith race from Korriban, that's it.

If you wanted to set up an obscure, ominous threat, there were other ancient civilizations that could have posed a threat to the Republic.

Edited by Chaz

Critique is fine and valuable, however some fans do think that KOTOR 2 is the end all be all of Star Wars storytelling, which is very wrong in my opinion.

The Exile and the three Sith Lords were very anomalous force users in what seemed to be a short "Dark Age" for the Jedi and Sith.

But when I point out that they didn't "quite get" the Sith it's because these Sith characters don't quite stick to Sith Tradition, they're very weird (I always got this weird NEMESIS vibe from Sion) Traya also sets up the "True Sith Empire" as something beyond comprehenson, when in reality there is no great mystery about the True Sith, they were ancient Dark Jedi that interbred with the Sith race from Korriban, that's it.

If you wanted to set up an obscure, ominous threat, there were other ancient civilizations that could have posed a threat to the Republic.

No, I'd say Obs got the Sith and the Force just fine. The problem lies with Star Wars having rather flimsy and poorly defined foundations — it works great for juvenile space operas, but it starts falling apart when one tries to scrutinize the premises of the setting. Throw in a thousand different authors across radically different media and you have the royal mess that is SW (or was before Disney nuked everything, anyway).

The Sith are about power. There is nothing else of concern, and the way they grow powerful in the Force is through channeling unrestrained emotion. MCA simply took this to the extreme. As a result, the Sith in K2 are more akin to a force of nature than to the archetypical evils we're used to encountering in games. Their motives and actions are alien because they have shed what made them individuals. They are extremely one-dimensional by design. They don't conform to Sith tradition because Sith tradition is whatever the author du jour determines it to be — and yet they are essentially Sith: their power is everything to them, quite literally in the case of Nihilus. Was MCA subtly mocking the SW mythos? Your guess is as good as mine.

We'll never know what Obs intended for the True Sith, because they never had the chance to make K3. Instead, Bioware built their own "True Sith" empire in a much more conventional way, so while it's valid criticism, it's a criticism of Bioware's vision, not Obsidian's.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

No, I'd say Obs got the Sith and the Force just fine. The problem lies with Star Wars having rather flimsy and poorly defined foundations — it works great for juvenile space operas, but it starts falling apart when one tries to scrutinize the premises of the setting. Throw in a thousand different authors across radically different media and you have the royal mess that is SW (or was before Disney nuked everything, anyway).

The Sith are about power. There is nothing else of concern, and the way they grow powerful in the Force is through channeling unrestrained emotion. MCA simply took this to the extreme. As a result, the Sith in K2 are more akin to a force of nature than to the archetypical evils we're used to encountering in games. Their motives and actions are alien because they have shed what made them individuals. They are extremely one-dimensional by design. They don't conform to Sith tradition because Sith tradition is whatever the author du jour determines it to be — and yet they are essentially Sith: their power is everything to them, quite literally in the case of Nihilus. Was MCA subtly mocking the SW mythos? Your guess is as good as mine.

We'll never know what Obs intended for the True Sith, because they never had the chance to make K3. Instead, Bioware built their own "True Sith" empire in a much more conventional way, so while it's valid criticism, it's a criticism of Bioware's vision, not Obsidian's.

There are certainly themes to the Sith that we've seen in the movies and in other media that I think Bioware has respected more when it came to their interpretation of the Sith in their games, the Master-Apprentice relationship, their hierarchical structure, as I said there are no partnerships or triumvirate, after getting rid of Traya, either Sion or Nihilus should have been the undisputed master of the Sith and the other his apprentice.

The loss of humanity is a theme with the Sith, in the movies this is represented by Vader being half cyborg, Malak losing his entire lower jaw and Malgus having to live using a respirator, but the point is that they have not lost everything, there is still human under all that armor and cybernetic implants, if there is nothing but void under the robe and mask, well that's very simplistic and not as interesting.

So the way I see Sion and Nihulus are not that much Sith and more like anomalous being. So if they really are just forces of nature then why the hell did they spare Traya!? if they have lost all compassion and empathy, then surely they would have done nothing less than totally annihilate her, letting her go was just bad writing.

My point is that beign "Sith" is more than wearing a black robe, a red lightsaber and wear the title of Darth, so I can't really fault Bioware since they have been more true to the sources when they created their Sith characters.

Edited by Chaz

What you seem to be incapable of understanding is that the people who think KOTOR 2 is the end all be all of Star Wars storytelling are NOT "the fans". They're the people who generally dislike Star Wars. From that perspective, "not being Star Wars-y enough" is the best thing to happen to the franchise.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I really need to find the time and enthusiasm to sit down and finish the final couple of planets for my Trooper. Then I'll have all the class stories wrapped up. For some reason I've just stalled on landing on Belsavis and haven't been in the right frame of mind to push on.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I really need to find the time and enthusiasm to sit down and finish the final couple of planets for my Trooper. Then I'll have all the class stories wrapped up. For some reason I've just stalled on landing on Belsavis and haven't been in the right frame of mind to push on.

If you're subbed you get x12 EXP bonus, you should be done with your class story pretty quickly

That is not very surprising. Belsavis is, amongst Taris and, eh, Corellia, the biggest character graveyard of mine. I loathe those planets with a passion. Although in the case of Taris that is mostly KOTOR's fault, and not SWTOR's. :)

Also, you're probably better off with not finishing the Trooper story. While the ending isn't bad in the Mass Effect 3 sense it will probably make you pull out your hair. Heh.