SW: The Old Republic - Episode VII (J.J. Strikes Back)

Blarghagh

I'm ok without the galactic war.  I prefer the smaller storylines scattered around the galaxy over a grand one.  It seems more fitting for an MMO too.

So you actually prefer the galactic war. Smaller storylines scattered around the galaxy is how the galactic war is presented from Coruscant/Kaas to Corellia, and you get a general idea of the progress of the war along the way. In fact the Dread Masters and Revan plots are given a much greater sense of importance from a storyline pov than the galactic war, because "OMG impending doom!". The fake sense of urgency gets boring after a while and it's plain it's a way to avoid crafting different stories for each side. In the end, it's less content.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

WoW has that problem, the Horde and Alliance must unite...for the n-th time.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's nice that I don't have to pay for his account, since we basically hang out on the start planets and fight bad guys.  .

The f2p works in the beginning, but later on you will be severely restricted by it. Compared to other games (like Rift as an example) it´s a horrifically bad one.

Do they still sell hotbars?  That was pretty much the breaking point for me on ever playing it again.  It's nigh impossible to play some of the classes with less than 3 hotbars, and if I'm remembering correctly you only get 2 for free.

The only other comparable thing I've encountered in a f2p game (Vanguard, in this case) was having to pay to use equipment above a certain quality (per piece).  I could have lived with it if quest rewards and crafted items weren't restricted, but they were.

Woah, didn´t knew Vanguard also went down that horrible path o.O I don´t know if Swtor still does the same, but i think so, i have seen no news of them changing their mind. I thought it was a decent single player experience, from an MMO viewpoint, it´s a horrible game. I wrote an indepth review when i quit after one year, it was such a sad waste of potential and a perfect example on why no one should copy so much from WoW. Last time i gave it a shot was..i guess 8 months ago? I played for like 4 hours and was bored out of mind, not to mention the restrictions of the f2p model that turned me off.

Rift did f2p perfect, Swtor didn´t.

WoW has many problems. :p The whole H vs. A story arcs always feels forced because there is no real reason for them to be enemies anymore. Don´t get me started on that game :D

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

And for the same problems, same "solutions", it seems. They are going to start selling zero-to-hero level boosts.

Apparently, for the expansion they are making it a single player-centric MMO-thing of sorts.

Not that I'm complaining, mind. I never joined any guilds and pugged group content and PVP all day every day. Still, the lack of cross-faction play is disappointing given the direction they are going in with the story.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

And for the same problems, same "solutions", it seems. They are going to start selling zero-to-hero level boosts.

Apparently, for the expansion they are making it a single player-centric MMO-thing of sorts.

Not that I'm complaining, mind. I never joined any guilds and pugged group content and PVP all day every day. Still, the lack of cross-faction play is disappointing given the direction they are going in with the story.

I don't mind either even though I did do operations in the past. This is probably what Mythic Bioware should have done right from the beginning. It's hard, if not impossible, to out-theme-park WoW, so not even trying seems like a good idea, although some sort of treadmill has to come - it's too late to do anything else at this point.

It's also really predictable. EA is heavily banking on The Force Awakens to draw in new subscribers, so let's see them try to keep them without some incentive. Hrm.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I look at that and just get pissed off we didn't get KOTOR 3...

Avellone as lead of KOTOR3 after leaving Obsidan? They're resurrecting Battlefront so I don't see why they wouldn't bring back another wildly popular franchise.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Avellone as lead of KOTOR3 after leaving Obsidan? They're resurrecting Battlefront so I don't see why they wouldn't bring back another wildly popular franchise.

One can dream...

That's weird, I've been playing KotOR 3 off and on for the last few years.   :blink:

I think you have some extra letters there.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Everything planned for KOTOR 3 more or less ended up crammed into the SW:TOR storyline. From the fate of Revan and the Exile, the death (or not) of the true Sith Emperor and the fall of the Empire by the looks of the new expansion. Even Kreia gets a horribly miswritten and mutilated cameo.

That particular ship sailed a long, long time ago.

If I might be so bold, creating a SW:TOR account and dropping 5$ into the cash shop generates an account functional enough to play the game for the eight class stories and while they vary in quality somewhat there are much worse deals out there as long as one accepts that it is an MMORPG with all the downsides that comes with, like not having any quest variety outside of the class quests, a lot of "fetch me that" and "go kill these" filler and... maybe worst of all, other people. ;)

Some of the group content is also quite awesome.

• Like 1

That's weird, I've been playing KotOR 3 off and on for the last few years.   blink.png

I think you have some extra letters there.

Well, Alanschu (if you remember him) worked QA for SWTOR and back before the game was released, he said that content-wise the game was effectively KotOR 3, 4, 5 and 6. Having completed all stories, it's hard to disagree with that, it's just that the content was presented in the typical MMO soul-crushing grind format. Now with the (more or less) perpetual 12x XP bonus for subscribers and as the gear kinks have been ironed out, it's possible to play through the story and ignore all multiplayer content, the boring planetary quest lines, and PVP, making it for all intents and purposes a single player experience.

Edited by 213374U

One can dream...

I am eternally hopeful.

Everything planned for KOTOR 3 more or less ended up crammed into the SW:TOR storyline. From the fate of Revan and the Exile, the death (or not) of the true Sith Emperor and the fall of the Empire by the looks of the new expansion. Even Kreia gets a horribly miswritten and mutilated cameo.

That particular ship sailed a long, long time ago.

If I might be so bold, creating a SW:TOR account and dropping 5$ into the cash shop generates an account functional enough to play the game for the eight class stories and while they vary in quality somewhat there are much worse deals out there as long as one accepts that it is an MMORPG with all the downsides that comes with, like not having any quest variety outside of the class quests, a lot of "fetch me that" and "go kill these" filler and... maybe worst of all, other people. ;)

Some of the group content is also quite awesome.

I did play it, I didn't like the gameplay and thought a lot of the content was boring.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm hoping that they streamline the leveling process, a la WoW, someday so you can move through without all the grind.  There have been some very good story moments.

That would emphasize the single player aspect, but it´s an mmo and operating like one...i don´t get it why people are in favour of this (like some in wow). Might as well just play a single player RPG. Or is it because, this is basicly a weak Kotor 3?

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

MMO content is supposed to be dynamic and ever changing.  Otherwise the game is just going to be stale.  You need a way to progress the core player base, but also allow new players to enter the game and not be stuck years behind.

Personally I enjoy the journey of a slowly developing character.  In Lord of the Rings Online, my captain spent years following in the footsteps of the fellowship.  But I also went back to WoW after a long break and enjoyed the streamlined run through all of their zones.

TOR hasn't really been out long enough to know what it will look like in the long run. 

I look at that and just get pissed off we didn't get KOTOR 3...

Because KOTOR is Legend material and no new material for that old continuity is going to be produced. Expansions for TOR seem to be the only exception.

Battlefront doesn't have the same issue.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Theme park MMOs without new content die pretty quickly so it's not much of a surprise that SWTOR still gets additional content. The new expansion seems to take advantage of not being strictly bound by continuity any more. :)

Was curios how TOR is doing financially, and came up with this:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2014/07/22/star-wars-the-old-republic-makes-more-than/1

Geez, WoW is raking in a billion in profit every year.  That's crazy.  I was also surprised that LotRO is still bringing in 100 million.  I'm not quite sure how far to trust these numbers, and they are a year old, but it gives you an interesting perspective on MMO's if they are true. 

• Like 1

Theme park MMOs without new content die pretty quickly so it's not much of a surprise that SWTOR still gets additional content. The new expansion seems to take advantage of not being strictly bound by continuity any more. :)

Yes, I suppose it's interesting that with TOR no longer being part of the official continuity, then the official continuity is no longer part of TOR. If they decide to do something like blow up Coruscant they can do it without worrying about future continuity. It's in it's own universe where Luke Skywalker will never exist.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

And I think Gorth may be interested to know that character transfers are 90% off (90CC)

I think I got around 18 character transfers lined up (of which i might have gone through with 2 or 3 at full price) :grin:

Leaving a few toons behind to play with old friends, but the bulk is moving to the pve servers (mostly harbinger and shadowlands). Bastards still wont let me transfer toons to Red Eclipse.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I wish the trailers would reflect the quality of the game. :getlost:

Are you comparing SW:TOR to other MMOs or making a comparison to single player RPGs, especially the KOTORs? Because even WoW, which is arguably the "best" theme park MMO around is pretty bland compared to them. For an MMORPG, SW:TOR is pretty good and I think GSF is something that is still unique to MMORPGs (obviously not talking about World of Warplanes here).

It's too bad the genres didn't mesh so well and GSF became a somewhat niche activity in SW:TOR. I enjoyed teasing (and quite literally obliterating the hell out of) those MMORGP PVP heroes who thought they had skill. As if moving in a 2D plane with abilities that auto-aim takes skill.