SW: The Old Republic - Episode VII (J.J. Strikes Back)

Blarghagh

There was two minutes between me closing the other thread and making this one! :p

I must have been watching the thread creation in slow motion then or bullet time, or how the young people call it these days :)

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Got the canned robot response to my help request. Yay. I guess i have to use the phone.

Anyway, since I did the preorder (twice), I decided to try it out. It was surreal. My healer sage went from Level 35 to 38 in less than 25 minutes. I think I'm going to say "/&%$§ this" to the end game content and ground my 6 level 55 tanks (one of each advanced tank class) for a long time. Partly to allow me to level up alts and partly because I expect Bioware to screw over players again with gear Inflation, making all the hard earned top gear the new second rate gear again. Just not worth the effort trying to keep up. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's (unfortunately) the nature of these games. Gear is most players motivation to keep going, so there needs to be new tiers constantly. Expansion time of course is used as a total reset.

Although it wasn't as bad in SWTOR as it is in WOW for instance. In SWTOR if you had top end raiding gear it lasted to the very end of the expansion, and hard mode TFB and S&V were completable in the previous tier raid gear (except Styrak I think). If you had an amazing group that is, most players had to get the flash point and story mode ops gear first.

Got the canned robot response to my help request. Yay. I guess i have to use the phone.

Anyway, since I did the preorder (twice), I decided to try it out. It was surreal. My healer sage went from Level 35 to 38 in less than 25 minutes. I think I'm going to say "/&%$§ this" to the end game content and ground my 6 level 55 tanks (one of each advanced tank class) for a long time. Partly to allow me to level up alts and partly because I expect Bioware to screw over players again with gear Inflation, making all the hard earned top gear the new second rate gear again. Just not worth the effort trying to keep up. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Yeah, my experiences with ad hoc parties were pretty dire towards the end, I just don't see myself coming back, no matter how interesting the new content is, unless I suddenly find a magical group of cool semi-casual people who are online at the same times I am. .P

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Yeah, my experiences with ad hoc parties were pretty dire towards the end, I just don't see myself coming back, no matter how interesting the new content is, unless I suddenly find a magical group of cool semi-casual people who are online at the same times I am. .P

That's the thing, I do have a small group of friends there, 3 guys I hang out with regularly. Two fellow exiles from the Apac servers (Aussies) and an American living in Ireland. Makes perfect sense for all us non-americans to hang out on a US West Coast Server :p

But, as you sort of implied, without that group of friends that makes your time worthwhile, I would have dropped the game months ago when they did the last gear devaluation. It wasn't Long ago.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Say what you will about the ingame support, but the phone support is top notch. Thumbs up for that. Got a refund arranged for my duplicate preorder purchase in no time and with no fuzz :)

I've been leveling different characters to see their stories... the one big thing that's annoying is the lack of gear to back up your leveling spree, so you can find yourself dying a LOT more as you level up because your pistols/lightsabers/blasters/whatever are from level 15 when you're level 33

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

If anynone though the KDY Kiddies graduating from the KDY Academy was bad, they ain't seen nothing yet. If double xp weekends create double the number of bad Players in fp's, I swear the 12x xp period now is creating 12 times the number of bad, vastly undergeared and situational awareness challenged participants. Anecdotal, but 2 out of 3 HM FP's that pop, I end up leaving after 5-10 seconds. HP isn't but a quick and dirty guage of peoples gear, but when you end up in Groups where the tank is 21k and he's the best geared of the other 3, you know you are not going to make it through HM CZ Meltdown without astronomical repair bills. You can carry one piece of dead weight, even two if done by two experienced and decently geared players, but not 3 people with completely blank achievement lists in the FP section :getlost:

Started selling out of all the old crafted stuff while still getting a few credits for them and saving up all the coms my toons can hoard within the total cap, expecting to be able to buy better gear for the same coms after 3.0

So I caved in and tried it once again. I spend hour and half waiting to get in to Esseles while doing quests at Coruscant. And that was it. IMHO, the two biggest faults with this game are still the horrible engine and I don't get to play what I want to play when I want to play.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

The problem is that you're playing DPS. And so is everyone else. There's simply too many dps players in line so there's not enough healers and tnaks to go around.

Also, you're queuing for a FP in the leevl 50-54 bracket, don't know how many players still do those, I think most players when leelling just queue for the tactical ones instead due to much shorter queue times (no need for tanks or healers).

Anyway, the problem you're describing exists in any mmo that employes the trinity and has a group finder. WOW is just as bad as SWTOR (although slightly better for raids due to larger groups).

WoW in 2005, finding groups as a rogue (or hunter I guess)... good god. You could say it was a multi-month effort in effect, you had to sort of build a reputation for reliability and competence through the limited opportunities you did get, and generally ingratiate yourself with the people that tended to lead those PUGs. That's what I'll always raise when people try to bring up the point that the game was better "in the good old days". So when I played TOR for a month and found that finding groups was no easier than old WoW, I decided to not bother at all and did zero dungeons in the entirety of my trial month.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Granted I haven't played WoW in years, but after group finder was introduced it never took as long as it takes in SWTOR. After they introduced cross server group finder and double speccing I never had wait more than mere minutes as a dps.

I think the main reason is bad group design. WoW has 1 tank, 1 healer and 3 dps while SWTOR has only 2 dps per group. 

Also, Esseles is the very first flashpoint on republic side. 

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I've been leveling different characters to see their stories... the one big thing that's annoying is the lack of gear to back up your leveling spree, so you can find yourself dying a LOT more as you level up because your pistols/lightsabers/blasters/whatever are from level 15 when you're level 33

am going to do the broken record thing and repeat our self: do flashpoints. even with the massive bonus xp for story-line, keep doing fps when they become available. as we noted earlier, one o' the best reasons to level via fps is that you will always have level appropriate gear. 

*shrug*

or don't.  nevertheless, there is an obvious solution to your problem.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Granted I haven't played WoW in years, but after group finder was introduced it never took as long as it takes in SWTOR. After they introduced cross server group finder and double speccing I never had wait more than mere minutes as a dps.

I think the main reason is bad group design. WoW has 1 tank, 1 healer and 3 dps while SWTOR has only 2 dps per group. 

Which means levels 10-15. I *think* you may find it hard if you are on the wrong server at the wrong time of day or if every man and his hamster is busy levelling alts, in which case they don't bother with flashpoints at the moment. Heck, even the L55 HM"s has noticeable longer queue times after the 12x xp event started. Lots of people playing class stories and nothing else, leveling up as many alts as fast as possible.

Which means levels 10-15. I *think* you may find it hard if you are on the wrong server at the wrong time of day or if every man and his hamster is busy levelling alts, in which case they don't bother with flashpoints at the moment. Heck, even the L55 HM"s has noticeable longer queue times after the 12x xp event started. Lots of people playing class stories and nothing else, leveling up as many alts as fast as possible.

is so many inexplicable variables with why/when flashpoints is gonna be available. the first fps don't even have a tank + heals requirement, so lowbie black talon and esseles don't run into that problem-- we has had bt and esseles pop with all dps.

we have waited literal hours for a *groan*  colicoid war game fp. then, when we finally get a pop, we will be able to run five in a row... five soul-numbing and gut wrenching runs o' colicoid that result in at least one or two predictable complete fails. colicoid and red reaper is our least favorite fp as it is soooo easy to get Death By Stupidity/Willful Ignorance with those two. mando raiders and the final battle o' hammer station are also frequent frustration magnets. 

one time having to wait 1.5 hours for esseles? is no biggie, 'cause you are leveling so fast early that chances are you is ready to do hammer station by the time you finish courscant... and you can solo the h2 heroic on courscant for a moddable chestpiece and you likely can buy a moddable weapon with comms... which is what you is likely wanting from esseles anyway.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I know I've been grinding out my class missions and (almost) nothing else

I'm also having issues gearing because mid level FP's just aren't happening on my server (because they're a big speed bump in the 12x leveling process) and even when they are two hours later I'm in need of all new gear again. I've mostly been getting by with planetary comm gear purchased by my high level alts but I don't have enough 55's to gear all my new alts that way

Free games updated 3/4/21

I know I've been grinding out my class missions and (almost) nothing else

I'm also having issues gearing because mid level FP's just aren't happening on my server (because they're a big speed bump in the 12x leveling process) and even when they are two hours later I'm in need of all new gear again. I've mostly been getting by with planetary comm gear purchased by my high level alts but I don't have enough 55's to gear all my new alts that way

dunno, we got characters on both harbinger and jedi covenant, and as long as we is dedicated to taking every fp pop, no matter how convenient the timing would seem to be for advancing our story line, we typical stay geared. 

'course we also have a ridiculous number o' 55s and we can always craft the occasional mod, barrel or hilt.

hell, am pretty sure you can buy mods and gear relative cheap in the lower levels if you have one or two 55s with even a decent amount of creds saved. 

the only pve server we don't have characters is shadowlands. if you ever want help on harbinger or covenant, let us know.

HA! Good Fun!