Pathing Option when traps are found

Caladian

I would like it if you find a trap, that your party will automatically path around it.  I know the pathing isn't anywhere near perfect yet, but if your rogue can't pick it, your party should at least maneuver to avoid triggering it though.

• Like 7

Indeed. An AI issue that was never fixed until now, Would be happy to have that. Same for attacks of opportunity. In NWN2 your party members deliberately subjected themselves to AoO. That should go. 

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

But... don't you get a Reflex check when you trigger a trap? If so, then you don't really get to control the dodging of traps. Even if you intentionally walk your character directly into a trap, he might still dodge it without your consent/effort/action.

That's a double-standard.

Hell, pathfinding in general is wrong. It should be up to the player to make sure their character doesn't just run into that column and continuously try to fun forward in-place. To manually maneuver them around the obviously-right-there-column. And if you command your character to move backwards, they shouldn't just automatically turn around. They should run backwards (most likely incurring a chance to trip), until the player exerts his control over the character to make them actually turn around.

:)

Seriously, though... it should be toggleable, so that you can actually intentionally trip traps in order to catch pursuing enemies in their fire. That could be another advantage of move speed bonuses. You run your last and fastest party member over that pressure plate, with some foes hot on your heels, and that character is fast enough to get out of the way before the fire jets (or giant squishy spikey things, etc.) do their thing on the now-right-in-the-crossfire foes. ^_^

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Seriously, though... it should be toggleable, so that you can actually intentionally trip traps in order to catch pursuing enemies in their fire. That could be another advantage of move speed bonuses. You run your last and fastest party member over that pressure plate, with some foes hot on your heels, and that character is fast enough to get out of the way before the fire jets (or giant squishy spikey things, etc.) do their thing on the now-right-in-the-crossfire foes. ^_^

Great point, hadn't even thought about that.

I think auto-avoiding traps would kind of defeat their purpose. As long as we can auto-pause on trap detected, making us go around them manually fits their design.

In many cases (at least in the IE games), the traps span the whole hallway or or on a chest, so you can't really skirt them anyway. So with auto-walkaround, your team stands at the edge of the trap, stuck in the hallway, unless you override the behavior. Messing with a toggle could get annoying--turn it on for the traps you can walk around, turn it off whenever you find one that blocks your path. No thanks...

Moreover, traps should make you be careful. You're tiptoeing around a hazard; this is not something that should be on auto-pilot (IMO).  While I get the appeal of this feature, I think the game is better off without it.

Edited by PrimeHydra
  • Like 4

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

But... don't you get a Reflex check when you trigger a trap? If so, then you don't really get to control the dodging of traps. Even if you intentionally walk your character directly into a trap, he might still dodge it without your consent/effort/action.

That's a double-standard.

I was talking about whether it was possible/feasible from a technical/programming perspective.

I would like it if you find a trap, that your party will automatically path around it.  I know the pathing isn't anywhere near perfect yet, but if your rogue can't pick it, your party should at least maneuver to avoid triggering it though.

Like in D:OS. Man that thing was sooooooo sweet!

It might cause problems if the path is completely blocked by a trap or if you wanna intentionally set it of (as was already said).

The real problem in the IE-games was for me how long pauses between trap checks and walking speed worked together to my disadvantage. How does that play out in the beta?