Really old player here.

Ahh, I remember feeling really old just before I turned 30, as well. Now I'm older than that by a few years and yet very much do not feel really old, or at least don't let the thought bug me. You get over it.

The thinking about it, anyway. The 'getting older' part just keeps getting worse, alas. 

I'd actually be surprised if the majority of backers around here weren't at least in their late 20s. There are people who will be going to college in a few years who weren't even born when the original Baldur's Gate was released.

• Like 1

I'm 28, and somewhere in storage, I actually have three Atari 2600's. I think the Atari was my first gaming console. Granted, I didn't get it when it was new, as I wasn't born... BUT, I started out with a lot of the good stuff, :).

On our first computer, I played games in QBasic, instead of DOS.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I was into consoles, until the moment I decided to try Baldur's Gate, it was quite some years after the game's release I think, I was 19-20 when I tried it (and a pen-and-paper AD&D DM/player since I was 16 years old).

Anyways, Baldur's Gate ruined all other video games for me  :p  Ever since the series, I was desperate to get another 'fix' of such a game, but nothing was quite the same. Not even like-wise games of that generation, not even games that did many things a lot better than BG, moving to the next level, like Planescape:Torment.

However, I have my hopes up for the Obsidian Team, ever since PoE was first announced. Somehow, I have a feeling that PoE will be my *new* BG and nothing has led me down so far, despite what I read in the forums.

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

I'm 45 and, apparently, quite young compared to some of you ol' bastards!  bwahahahaha

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

You're not that old !! I'm pretty sure lots of potters here are in the same age-range (I am just a couple years younger than you)

I believe the official system requirements haven't been given yet. However I am pretty confident that PoE will not require a high-end gaming PC. 

I really love to hear that. My friend insisted I installed the backers beta on my old notebook and it barelly runs but It runs!!! I don't really know when the backers beta he has was released but I don't think its optimized so I hold high hopes its going to be better when the game comes out... I got my a** handed to me by those damn spiders so many times and that makes me happy! am I a massochist?? 

My notebook specs are

Intel Pentium Processor P6100

2 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache 

Intel HD Graphics

3 GB DDR Memory

As you see is pretty much a potato... but I can play all the infinity engine games and I'm getting into this valve game Dota 2... I've been worned I'll destroy my social life but hey... not like I have one anyway hahahah

Hey, Felthar. The backer beta does not have many optimizations. Usually, optimizations are one of the last things we do with a game. You should see improvements to performance over the coming beta updates.

Your biggest problem will likely be the integrated graphics card, but it should only get better from here.

• Like 3

You are not going to be able to play the Dyrford Ruins or Lle A Rhemen with that system, even I only get 25-30 FPS in those areas. It would be nice if they fixed the issues with those so they were actually playable.

I'm 45 and, apparently, quite young compared to some of you ol' bastards!  bwahahahaha

As long as you keep creating new alts and then devouring their life force to extend your unholy existence you will always stay young, wont you.

• Like 3

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

[Nostalgia]

Ah yes,

Began with pong and space invaders on arcade machines,

First home computer was a BBC-Micro B with the joys of Dare Devil Denis, Joust, Chuckie Egg, Yie-Ar Kung Fu,....   Luckily friends had the ZX-spectrum and the Atari 2600 so I got to play those too.

Amiga - Eye of the Beholder, Monkey Island, Supercars, Speedball 2, etc etc, good times, again a friend had the Atari-ST(e),

After that I moved onto consoles for a bit with the PS and PS2 (and housemates with a SNES and later N64) before coming back to PC and discovering the joys of gog.com and the IE games etc.

Somewhere in there were the handheld gaming times - original Gameboy and Tetris (falling blocks in my sleep) then gameboy colour with the Zelda games

Still only 37, a mere dragonling :dragon:

[/nostalgia]

Edited by Silent Winter
  • Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Anyways, Baldur's Gate ruined all other video games for me  :p  Ever since the series, I was desperate to get another 'fix' of such a game, but nothing was quite the same. Not even like-wise games of that generation, not even games that did many things a lot better than BG, moving to the next level, like Planescape:Torment.

However, I have my hopes up for the Obsidian Team, ever since PoE was first announced. Somehow, I have a feeling that PoE will be my *new* BG and nothing has led me down so far, despite what I read in the forums.

That's exactly how I feel. There's something special about Baldur's Gate, and I can't wait till PoE is ready.

Oh man, this thread is making me go down a nostalgia trip. I was in single digits when Atari was a thing, I still remember it fondly.

Excuse me while I haphazardly try to reinstall every old game I used to own and/or find emulators for the ones on console.

Single-player CRPGs are perfect for the, erm, "mature" gamer. You can play whenever you have the time, and they don't require teenage reflexes.

My reflexes are sharper than they've ever been, and I'm no teenager.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Single-player CRPGs are perfect for the, erm, "mature" gamer. You can play whenever you have the time, and they don't require teenage reflexes.

I admire the optimism, but trust me. The downhill curve is inevitable.

• Like 1

Agreed. I used to be really in on Dota and Starcraft like 5 years ago. I was a very competent player but I've tried to return to my former glory and its imposible I can't micro as good as I used to. My brother (he's a doctor) said that the brain degenerates at a faster rate after 25 for actions we do even on a daily basis. That explains why you can't find many video game pro players after 30s. 

That's exactly how I feel. There's something special about Baldur's Gate, and I can't wait till PoE is ready.

Yes to be honest the same happens to me. I love video games but in this day and age they are getting lamer and lamer... I mean look at Dragon Age Inquisition. The game looks amazing I'll give you that but is not even close to the deph of baldur's gate or any of the CRPG we used to play. Pillars is like a mix between the new and the old. I really like the direction they are taking. At first I was concerned about the no XP per kill deal but then I realized that if that is implemented in a good way it can open a new world for role playing... after all you should get experience for roleplaying not just kill kill kill. 

• Like 1

You're not that old !! I'm pretty sure lots of potters here are in the same age-range (I am just a couple years younger than you)

I believe the official system requirements haven't been given yet. However I am pretty confident that PoE will not require a high-end gaming PC. 

I really love to hear that. My friend insisted I installed the backers beta on my old notebook and it barelly runs but It runs!!! I don't really know when the backers beta he has was released but I don't think its optimized so I hold high hopes its going to be better when the game comes out... I got my a** handed to me by those damn spiders so many times and that makes me happy! am I a massochist?? 

My notebook specs are

Intel Pentium Processor P6100

2 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache 

Intel HD Graphics

3 GB DDR Memory

As you see is pretty much a potato... but I can play all the infinity engine games and I'm getting into this valve game Dota 2... I've been worned I'll destroy my social life but hey... not like I have one anyway hahahah

Hey, Felthar. The backer beta does not have many optimizations. Usually, optimizations are one of the last things we do with a game. You should see improvements to performance over the coming beta updates.

Your biggest problem will likely be the integrated graphics card, but it should only get better from here.

Thank you! Thank you so much for your answer. I already purchased the game even before you answer. I think more people should have the dedication and passion you guys are putting into this. I'm really happy you are bringing back the real CRPG. 

• Like 1

I was thirty-two old when I play BG 1 but I start on TRS-80, ZX-80, Vic-20, C-64, ZX-Spectrum, Asmtrad PC 1512 for my early computers, I learn programming with them and find graphics wonderfull at that time (some one has try really to play an CGA games and appreciate the graphics after played an AAA FPS Adventure during some hours ?)

So damned times with the Eye of the beholder, ultima series, lands of lore, might and magic but baldur's gate have all I wanted so since it I don't have a real pleasure with the new production whom seems more fps that RPG ( like skyrim, beautiful but archimage after learning three spells ?).

A good game for me must have a good script and the graphics (so the more consumming resource on a computer) come after so I expect little specs so evryone can enjoy the game.

PS: Sorry for the english but I'm a belgian from the french part :grin: .

• Like 3

What I realised quite recently is that Obsidian people are the crafters of some of the best crpg tales. I can't wait to play their best new thing.

Just keep the developer-backer communication running. Only good things come out of it.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Agreed. I used to be really in on Dota and Starcraft like 5 years ago. I was a very competent player but I've tried to return to my former glory and its imposible I can't micro as good as I used to. My brother (he's a doctor) said that the brain degenerates at a faster rate after 25 for actions we do even on a daily basis. That explains why you can't find many video game pro players after 30s. 

I'm with you man I just turned 30 and like many here played the BG series when I was around 14 years old. Before that it was Fallout, Eye of The Beholder on DoS, and PnP DnD, etc etc. It seems we are a fraternity of sorts.

I also was really big into SC/BW and it bothers me a lot actually that I can't return to my former self with SC2. I do keep up with ESports and watch WCS and pro games for SC2. Bomber just won WCS America and he is 26 so that's cool I guess.

But yea I think we all hope that games like Divinity OS, PE, WL2, and TTN bring back another golden age of CRPGs.....looks promising so far.

• Like 1

You're never too old to enjoy your passions. Do people "age out" of making music, or watching movies? There's this unfortunate stigma that gaming is an immature pastime for immature people. Most who perpetuate this stereotype, in my experience, wouldn't know a good game if it hit them in the face. They watch a lot of bad TV, too.

I hope that as a generation who grew up gaming comes of age, playing games will be more "acceptable". We're not a bunch of misunderstood teenagers anymore. We own this medium. And as others have said, we're in the midst of a renaissance of sorts. Just like how music and movies got their counter-commercial "indie" movements, we have one too. It's a great time to be a gamer.

As for your coming-of-age anxieties, I can only say that it felt really scary to turn 20, and then to turn 30. It's something about the digit on the left changing. Stupid decimal system, if we used unary you'd just be IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII rather than IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII. It really is that small of a difference.

By your mid-thirties you'll have better things to worry about. That's what rocks about getting older. You care less and less about stupid **** and embrace what really matters--like doing the things you love.

Edited by PrimeHydra
  • Like 5

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

Thanks everyone for making me feel youn again hahah

I was just starting to feel young, at 40, until I realized that my math was wrong in calculating that, hey I was 20 when I played BG2, so if another was 14, they must be 6 years older than me.

You're never too old to enjoy your passions. Do people "age out" of making music, or watching movies? There's this unfortunate stigma that gaming is an immature pastime for immature people. Most who perpetuate this stereotype, in my experience, wouldn't know a good game if it hit them in the face. They watch a lot of bad TV, too.

I certainly haven't aged out of video games in general, but tastes change as you get older. I used to love shooters, now they bore the crap out of me.

• Like 2