Really old player here.

I remember playing Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale when I was a kidk now almost 29 years old and I don't play video games that much. 
So 3 days ago I went to a friends house and he showed me Pillars of Eternity and god... So many memories and nostalgia. 
So I don't play much video games on PC I play mostly old PS2 games and old PC games from GOG. I was wondering if Obsidian is going to code the game so it can work on slow PCs. I would really love an answer from a dev if its not much to ask. 
I have my wallet ready and I'm really happy you guys are creating this masterpiece but I won't build a new pc just for a game since my economic status won't allow it. 

Thanks in advance!

• Like 3

You're not that old !! I'm pretty sure lots of potters here are in the same age-range (I am just a couple years younger than you)

I believe the official system requirements haven't been given yet. However I am pretty confident that PoE will not require a high-end gaming PC. 

Edited by Quantics
  • Like 2

Felthar: I'm old enough to be your father, and then I personally know a few forums members here, who actually could be my father, so you're young and squeaky clean, lad. :)

• Like 12

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Felthar: I'm old enough to be your father, and then I personally know a few forums members here, who actually could be my father, so you're young and squeaky clean, lad. :)

haha I certanly feel old!  I've had a lot of in real life rol playing of my own! Hard life, long days of work for little money, my country is hard morde as my brother likes to say and that takes his toll.

You're not that old !! I'm pretty sure lots of potters here are in the same age-range (I am just a couple years younger than you)

I believe the official system requirements haven't been given yet. However I am pretty confident that PoE will not require a high-end gaming PC. 

I really love to hear that. My friend insisted I installed the backers beta on my old notebook and it barelly runs but It runs!!! I don't really know when the backers beta he has was released but I don't think its optimized so I hold high hopes its going to be better when the game comes out... I got my a** handed to me by those damn spiders so many times and that makes me happy! am I a massochist?? 

My notebook specs are

Intel Pentium Processor P6100

2 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache 

Intel HD Graphics

3 GB DDR Memory

As you see is pretty much a potato... but I can play all the infinity engine games and I'm getting into this valve game Dota 2... I've been worned I'll destroy my social life but hey... not like I have one anyway hahahah

My notebook specs are

Intel Pentium Processor P6100

2 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache 

Intel HD Graphics

3 GB DDR Memory

As you see is pretty much a potato...

Heh, a potato he says (while I casually hide my slide rule under a stack of paper)...

You kids are spoiled rotten! :p

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I obviously can't guarantee it, but it seems like those specs should run the final game.

Pretty much every single game gets severely optimized over the course of the beta phase, so if it already runs at all on your rig, it'll probably run better by the time the game releases. Dunno if it'll be 5% better, or 50% better. But... some amount. 8P

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I obviously can't guarantee it, but it seems like those specs should run the final game.

Pretty much every single game gets severely optimized over the course of the beta phase, so if it already runs at all on your rig, it'll probably run better by the time the game releases. Dunno if it'll be 5% better, or 50% better. But... some amount. 8P

I hope so bro. Or I'll have to wait 1 more year to play it... T.T

For what it's worth, you'd be surprised how good of a PC you can build, now, for like $300. I know that's still $300. But... *shrug*

When Starcraft 2 came out, my friend wanted to play it, but his old PC could barely handle it. So, he got a barebones kit, plus a video card for like $400, total, that ran the game on ultra settings, with ease.

Just thought I'd mention it, because some people think you have to pay closer to 7-or-800 for a decent gaming PC.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Hehe... 29 = "old". Made me laugh.  I was several years out of college/university when BG2 came out. Still play plenty of video games.

Single-player CRPGs are perfect for the, erm, "mature" gamer. You can play whenever you have the time, and they don't require teenage reflexes.

I suspect the average PoE backer is a good bit older then the OP thinks.

• Like 2

they don't require teenage reflexes.

:lol:

Hey now... the games available to teenagers now don't give 'em much else to hone. :)

• Like 1

For what it's worth, you'd be surprised how good of a PC you can build, now, for like $300. I know that's still $300. But... *shrug*

When Starcraft 2 came out, my friend wanted to play it, but his old PC could barely handle it. So, he got a barebones kit, plus a video card for like $400, total, that ran the game on ultra settings, with ease.

Just thought I'd mention it, because some people think you have to pay closer to 7-or-800 for a decent gaming PC.

Ok not to be a negative nancy... 300 USD in my country (Argentina) is 300*15=15000 and that's a LOT of money. It would take me half a year or more to pay that and that's not counting the money I spend on my career and bus money, food, rent... ETC XD It sucks bro but I used to live in the US so I know what you mean. A mid end PC is cheap there.

No worries. Like I said, I wasn't trying to suggest "that's POCKET change! 8D" or anything. I don't really have any experience outside the US, so yeah, I can only admittedly make evaluations from the context of living here. But, I just thought I'd mention it, in case, because I so often hear people talking about how they can't get a new computer for gaming, purely because they think it'll cost $600+ just to be worthwhile.

Sorry that a mid-end PC is much less cheap where you are, 8(.

Hopefully, they optimize the game pretty well by launch. It may not be quite as beautiful, but I'm confident your current machine'll handle it, ^_^

what are those games? the 70s and 80s games? are those the gold box games? my uncle used to have a copy of darksun,  with the barbarian orc on the cover. I thought that was the absolute coolest thing I'd ever seen when I was...well, I still think it might be. .

I believe that was a Mul, sterile half dwarf of Athas.

Edit: Wish I could go back a few decades and be really old like you gents.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!