I want to see Corpses hanging from trees

I want more atmosphere in your game, it seems so high fantasy is that what you intended?

Let's see Corpses hanging from trees before you enter a village(right away you know something is wrong)  Perhaps the village is hanging people because they think they have used there souls to cheat death, or perhaps there is something else wrong?  When you get to the village not everything is as it seems the people are not right.  That could have nothing do with the main quest you just stumbled on this village with a hint about people hanging people.  *The music should be dark low atmosphere over minor chords and augmented 9ths)

But the Theme still relates to your world and souls even though it's not a main quest of the game.

When I look at your 2d art in your beta and your village you have it seems rather flat.  It's beautiful but it's not alive enough.   There isn't enough thematic Atmosphere to introduce areas.  I take it this is because tons of content is cut out of the Beta and it's only used as a test for the game.

Still I would like to see you make that village as alive as possible and atmospheric as possible.  Same with say a spider cave:  You Shouldn't just run into a cave of spiders.  There should be webs and corpses of creatures and people in those webs out side the cave, on the tress, all over, damn this is place where these giant Spiders are hanging out. 

It's amazing what CDproject Red did with "The Witcher".  Those guys just set the stage dark gritty rpgs. 

What is Pillars of Eternity?  A dark gritty rpg or a high fantasy style rpg?  

• Like 4

I want to strap a revolver to my Cipher's codpiece.

• Like 5

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I agree with the idea of having some areas simply appear sinister.  I also hope that they treat 'mature' as something more meaningful than adolescent wish fulfillment.  Death, for example.  People should be horrified by their loved ones dying.  It shouldn't be five minutes of weeping for your recently murdered wife followed by a lengthy conversation about how you're worried about iron prices going up because of the societal upheaval in Ironia.  More like, "I don't ****ing care that you're on a quest to uncover the plot for the throne of Ironia.  If you want to help me, I'm going to make my life's mission to find the bastard who murdered my wife and kill him!"  Of course, some folks won't have the resolve to carry through with that goal, but that's beside the point.  A woman who is worried about her missing children won't talk to you about the latest village intrigue.  I know this is an ongoing problem in cRPGs, but I trust that Obsidz will treat these matters conscientiously.

I don't want the grit to be overdone or cartoonish, but a little bit of moral ambiguity and some facets of the ugly underside of various societies could enhance the game.  On the other hand, I don't mind 2 dimensional stereo-types, as long as the design team is using them intentionally for a purpose.  There are people who fit certain stereo-types in real life, after all.

I want to strap a revolver to my Cipher's codpiece.

And all this time I just thought you were happy to see me! Edited by Cantousent
  • Like 7

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I agree with the idea of having some areas simply appear sinister.  I also hope that they treat 'mature' as something more meaningful than adolescent wish fulfillment.  Death, for example.  People should be horrified by their loved ones dying.  It shouldn't be five minutes of weeping for your recently murdered wife followed by a lengthy conversation about how you're worried about iron prices going up because of the societal upheaval in Ironia.  More like, "I don't ****ing care that you're on a quest to uncover the plot for the throne of Ironia.  If you want to help me, I'm going to make my life's mission to find the bastard who murdered my wife and kill him!"  Of course, some folks won't have the resolve to carry through with that goal, but that's beside the point.  A woman who is worried about her missing children won't talk to you about the latest village intrigue.  I know this is an ongoing problem in cRPGs, but I trust that Obsidz will treat these matters conscientiously.

ZOMG! Totally an additional incentive to help people with "mundane" things! Your mindset, as the player, might be "Oh, your child is missing? I don't really care!" But, maybe that person knows about things, but is too distraught to calmly discuss anything with you or give you any information until their missing child is found (or until someone's death is avenged, etc.).

Not that I'm saying quests should be mundane. I'm just referring to those things that some people's characters wouldn't really care about so much. Helping people for the sake of helping people, etc. Maybe you "help" them, but only to get them to calm the hell down so you can get info out of them. Then you say "thanks," and take all their stuff, and tell them that you lied about finding their child alive, because you're a horrible, horrible person. *shrug*

YAY FOR ROLEPLAY! Haha.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Let's see Corpses hanging from trees before you enter a village

This isn't Diablo.

I want more atmosphere in your game, it seems so high fantasy is that what you intended?

Yes it is meant to be that way. Poe isn't meant to be a moody and dark experience.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

No, I don't think it should overdo the gritty aspect.  I think some areas should be on the gritty side or even absolutely sinister.  ...But I don't want Max Payne with elves.  ...And I don't want Warhammer.  It has its moments, but it takes gritty to cartoon levels.

I also like the idea of letting folks be as heartless and cruel as possible, as Lephys said.  My take on absolute altruism or complete villainy is that staying dedicated *should* be hard.  (please note, I did *not* say 'good' or 'evil'.)  It should take real resolve on the part of the player to keep to either philosophy.  I think removing kill XP helps that cause greatly.  As long as there is a substantial gameplay incentive for folks to kill everything, you're going to have people who aren't truly committed to villainy going out of their way to kill.  Remove that, and you're only going to have the dedicated amoral types.  Maybe there should be a few in game rewards for staying to the straight (or crooked) and narrow path, but most of the rewards should be story driven intangibles.  I rarely state things definitively, but there will be folks who are so dedicated to following a particular code (even if other folks can't really figure out what the hell it is) that their favorite rewards will be how they craft their characters.  Since I'm not a good guy in real life, I go out of my way to play a goody two shoes type in every game (note:  this has nothing to do with alignment).  For me, the reward is in keeping my characters to my code.

Getting back to the corpses on trees idea, I think that's okay.  ...But have some areas that are Tolkienesque.  Have areas that provide levity.  I see this game as a wonderfully prepared meal where there are sweet dishes and savory dishes and the interplay of salty, tart, tangy, and sugary flavors.  It can have areas of desolation without going all out Diablo.

At least that's my particular take.

• Like 2

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I want floating fish living outside settlements, but, as soon as they get inside them, they turn into a plate of fried fish. I want anti-gravity trees floating everywere and people streatching their heads to snap worms from their roots. I want... (and it goes on and on and on...)

Edited by Sedrefilos

Let's see Corpses hanging from trees before you enter a village(right away you know something is wrong)  Perhaps the village is hanging people because they think they have used there souls to cheat death, or perhaps there is something else wrong?  When you get to the village not everything is as it seems the people are not right.  That could have nothing do with the main quest you just stumbled on this village with a hint about people hanging people.  *The music should be dark low atmosphere over minor chords and augmented 9ths)

But the Theme still relates to your world and souls even though it's not a main quest of the game.

When I look at your 2d art in your beta and your village you have it seems rather flat.  It's beautiful but it's not alive enough.   There isn't enough thematic Atmosphere to introduce areas.  I take it this is because tons of content is cut out of the Beta and it's only used as a test for the game.

Still I would like to see you make that village as alive as possible and atmospheric as possible.  Same with say a spider cave:  You Shouldn't just run into a cave of spiders.  There should be webs and corpses of creatures and people in those webs out side the cave, on the tress, all over, damn this is place where these giant Spiders are hanging out. 

It's amazing what CDproject Red did with "The Witcher".  Those guys just set the stage dark gritty rpgs. 

Why would secretive cultists hang corpses outside their village, and why would the normal villagers? The idyllic facade is, in my opinion, one of the things, which makes the village so cool.

• Like 3

Thank god for people like you!

+1 to this.

Fear not StrangeCat, the game is going to be a never ending graveyard, accommodating family crypts, mass graves, battle memorials, rich man tombs, and of course hanging corpses.

There are 579 backers eligible for a memorial stone.  :p

Edited by Lychnidos
  • Like 3

The BB is already more "dark and gritty" than the BG and IWD games; no need to overdo it.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Hanging corpses are so cliche. I want to see levitating corpses. o_o

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Yes it is meant to be that way. Poe isn't meant to be a moody and dark experience.

While I agree with the sentiment, I am enjoying the irony of this statement.

:p

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

I believe it was Chris Avellone who stated in an interview that they weren't doing, 'dark for the sake of dark', only if it fit into the story or quest line.  Or something like that.  There are already some dark moments in the Beta, and the subject matter of animancy has the potential.  But I don't think the game is going to have a stubbornly dark/oppressive tone

Call it a slow wit, but the irony seems to escape me.:(

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Call it a slow wit, but the irony seems to escape me. :(

Edgar Allan Poe :Cant's huge grin icon:  He doesn't want gritty like strangekitty, but he thinks Poe is rather moody and dark himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Allan_Poe  (sorry, Grom, but wiki *does* have its uses.)

Beg pardon for talking for you, frag.

Edit:  blame the ouzo x2

Edited by Cantousent
  • Like 1

Obsidian Plays

Call it a slow wit, but the irony seems to escape me. :(

Edgar Allan Poe :Cant's huge grin icon:  He doesn't want gritty like strangekitty, but he thinks Poe is rather moody and dark himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Allan_Poe  (sorry, Grom, but wiki *does* have its uses.)

Beg pardon for talking for you, frag.

Edit:  blame the ouzo x2

Oh. I get it now. I can't believe I missed that.

• Like 1