The Ebola Threat

Wrath of Dagon

This is an opinion piece which in no way declares "Ebola is airborne and there's a massive Bilderberger-Templar-Illuminati conspiracy to keep it secret." The commentators never go beyond making questions about the possibility of airborne transmission and what precautions, if it were aerosol-transmissable, might be effective in preventing its spread.

They make vague statements like:

No one knows for certain how Ebola virus is transmitted from one person to the next. The virus has been found in the saliva, stool, breast milk, ****, and blood of infected persons.8,9 Studies of transmission in Ebola virus outbreaks have identified activities like caring for an infected person, sharing a bed, funeral activities, and contact with blood or other body fluids to be key risk factors for transmission.

They do not at any point declare that Ebola is aerially transmitted, and it is noted throughout the piece that it is an opinion piece, not a scholarly article subject to peer review.

Is your hyperbolic scaremongering based on ignorance/poor reading comprehension or a deliberate attempt to discredit the medical community of which the authors of the article and the publishers of said article are a part?

*Obsidian's naughty-filter has determined that the clinical term for jizz is a four-letter word necessitating censorship.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

We believe there is scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles both near and at a distance from infected patients, which means that healthcare workers should be wearing respirators, not facemasks

These are experts on the subjects saying this. The lies come when we're repeatedly told that Ebola can not be transmitted through air, when in reality that's nothing but an educated guess at best. Even the psychopath head of the CDC had to admit in a CNN interview that someone can get infected if sick individual sneezes on them, and in fact being within 3 feet of an infected individual is a risk according to CDC guidelines, not just "direct contact" that's been touted. As far as peer review, where's the peer review paper that says Ebola can only be transmitted by direct contact? Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

No one's tried that experiment so far as I know. But here's the psychopath lying his head off : http://twitchy.com/2014/10/01/bombshell-watch-cdc-director-deny-then-admit-that-ebola-can-be-spread-by-casual-contact-video/

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

So can anyone confirm if a patient with ebola sneezed at you and you copped the spray of that sneeze and it went into your respiratory system, up your nose, down your mouth, whatever, would you get ebola? Can it be transmitted via a sneeze?

People always forget its very easy to get bacterial and viral infections through the eyes, more so than through mouth or nose, if the virus is airborne due to sneeze and you get it in your eyes the virus has instantly access to a network of blood vessels.

Anyway, even though this whole Ebola thing doesn't really make me sleep uneasy its never a bad idea to have food for several months stored at home, thats actually an official suggestion of my government. IF something really bad happens the last thing you want to do is go to the mall and join the panicking hordes.  

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Not having any food at home and having to expose yourself to a thousands of possibly infected people every week is not a good thing in my book, if you can even get any food because of the hoarding. Canned food, noodles etc. worth half a year at home is good even if it does not last long enough, it still minimizes exposure, and what if it does only take a couple of months till the worst is over? 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Yes, really hard to transmit :

"A dangerous moment is when you undress. When you come out of the isolation unit, you take off your protective gear and you're full of sweat, and you may take off your glasses and do like this," he explained, rubbing his eye.

"And that would be the end."

http://www.medindia.net/news/virus-pioneer-says-you-cant-overprotect-against-ebola-142228-1.htm#ixzz3FYp6mAvr

They do not at any point declare that Ebola is aerially transmitted, and it is noted throughout the piece that it is an opinion piece, not a scholarly article subject to peer review.

Is your hyperbolic scaremongering based on ignorance/poor reading comprehension or a deliberate attempt to discredit the medical community of which the authors of the article and the publishers of said article are a part?

*Obsidian's naughty-filter has determined that the clinical term for jizz is a four-letter word necessitating censorship.

AGX is right WOD

I have been watching several interviews around Ebola and there is no evidence that says the virus is transmitted through the air. Its transmitted through liquid like saliva, vomit  and feces

I also see Thomas Duncan has died

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

We haven't had a single person infected on our own soil.

We probably will, so that's not saying much. The patient was sent home while symptomatic. I won't be the least bit surprised if one of the family members comes down with it.

But you're still right the situation doesn't warrant it. There's no reason to think this is going to become an epidemic on US soil. It's an excuse for fearmongers to ply their trade and complain.

I say this living near Dallas. My sister visited that hospital last week. Of course, her husband is a germaphobe who talks about burning clothes even when there's no reports of deadly viruses in the city. That's fun.

:/
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Eh, expected as much. Hope he didn't lead to more dying.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Eh, expected as much. Hope he didn't lead to more dying.

Yeah that's the concern now, has he infected others

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

We have just had a  work alert that says that Mauritius and the Seychelles won't allow entry to anyone who has visited the 5 Ebola affected countries (Nigeria, Liberia, Sierra Leone,Guinea and DRC )  in the last 2 months

I expect to find more countries banning flights from those countries ?

John Milton 

Anyone sane will. But I thought Nigeria doesn't currently have an outbreak. Btw, one of the deputies who was in Duncan's apartment is sick. They say chances that it's Ebola are low though.

Anyone sane will. But I thought Nigeria doesn't currently have an outbreak. Btw, one of the deputies who was in Duncan's apartment is sick. They say chances that it's Ebola are low though.

Nigeria doesn't have an outbreak but there a few cAses, I guess those countries are just taking precautions

John Milton 

Last night on this prominent radio talk show I listen to they had the head of the USA disease research centre in southern Africa as a guest. Basically he was explaining the whole USA commitment to the Ebola crisis and why the USA was now getting so involved. But it got embarrassing as you had some people  phoning in and accusing the USA of " only getting involved because of oil interests" ( oil interests in Liberia !!!) and " what was the ulterior motive for the USA getting involved "

I would have got really irritated if I was him but he answered the questions calmly and reasonably

John Milton 

Sensible questions to ponder, states don't do anything for free.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If anyone else gets it, our government will be guilty of attempted murder or actual murder. 

Not at all. It would be a case of incompetence; not murder. Failing to save some one is not murder.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Yes, very few countries in the world do anything for free but the USA doesn't have to spend  hundreds of millions of dollars and send thousands of troops to West  Africa in an attempt to prevent the spread of the virus

They could also say " this is an African problem and we are closing our airports to anyone flying in from the affected countries. We will allow entry to the USA when Africa has resolved this crisis"

So people in Africa could also learn to be grateful for  the assistance from the USA instead of questioning the motives

John Milton 

Yes, very few countries in the world do anything for free but the USA doesn't have to spend  hundreds of millions of dollars and send thousands of troops to West  Africa in an attempt to prevent the spread of the virus

They could also say " this is an African problem and we are closing our airports to anyone flying in from the affected countries. We will allow entry to the USA when Africa has resolved this crisis"

So people in Africa could also learn to be grateful for  the assistance from the USA instead of questioning the motives

Again, states don't do things for free. Particularly powers like the US, they aim to get something out of this, either at home or abroad. Or simple a case of realizing it'll hit their borders and kill The Wrong People. Doesn't hurt to think about it even if pragmatism commands that you accept the help regardless of ulterior motives.

Again, states don't do things for free. Particularly powers like the US, they aim to get something out of this, either at home or abroad. Or simple a case of realizing it'll hit their borders and kill The Wrong People. Doesn't hurt to think about it even if pragmatism commands that you accept the help regardless of ulterior motives.

You see if I was an African living in one of those countries I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth

But to be fair the criticism was from some  South Africans towards the USA on the talk show. Its easy to criticise the USA for there efforts when you are living in an Ebola free country like South Africa that has fairly decent healthcare infrastructure. But I doubt any people from the 5 affected countries are questioning the USA motives

John Milton 

If anyone else gets it, our government will be guilty of attempted murder or actual murder.

Not at all. It would be a case of incompetence; not murder. Failing to save some one is not murder.

If you have the ability to save someone an intentionally choose not to, than yes it is murder.

Btw, the deputy who was hospitalized yesterday was tested and is OK.

If you have the ability to save someone an intentionally choose not to, than yes it is murder.

No. That's something else. It might be depraved indifference, abject stupidity, or something else all together depending on the circumstances. There's usually a world of difference between pulling the trigger and standing by and watching it happen.