Drama in indy gaming and games journalism

Gorth

@TrueNeutral Trolls are likely never going away. (I'm having a pretty good time trolling this very thread, for example.) GG will blow over soonish, though. Give it a couple months and then there's room to talk about ethics in journalism without it devolving into an in-depth investigation of who banged whom when and whether today's death threat to some particular woman is a "legitimate threat" or not.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

@Meshugger Unable to see them, huh? Hmm, I wonder what could possibly be the reason for that…?

Nice try.

Now, point them out and state their crimes.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yeah, what I still don't get is what "ethics" or "integrity" in games media has to do with whether they make political statements or not.  (Or which political statements they make.)  I mean, mainstream media includes political op-eds, including those dealing with gender politics, and including some that offend some of their audience-- very few people considers that fundamentally unethical.  A film critic might encourage folks to avoid a film because it includes offensive sexist themes, and nobody calls him/her unethical.

Sure, games-related media are largely bought and paid for.  This is old news that no mass movements were seriously raging about a few months ago.  And, to my knowledge, nobody is sending death threats to the managing editor of IGN over their relationship with EA's marketing department.

So I can't help but conclude that "ethics" is a red herring.  Aside from particularized reactions to specific individual actions (e.g., insulting tweets and the like), and although sweeping statements about a group only defined by the hashtag they use are inherently difficult, it seems that, predominantly, GG's objection is politics.  Specifically, games criticism that focuses on gender politics and on how the audience for games influences and is influenced by said politics should be "off the table" for some reason.  Because "SJWs" are bad and oppressing their free speech.  It's become just another "anti-political-correctness" derpfest-- as if pointing out and judging somebody for being a jerk somehow restricts the rights of that jerk to continue jerking.

Very true I have looked into GamerGate I have found very disturbing stuff.

And let's face it: "Paid" reviews are not going away as long as game journalism requires ad revenue to be operational.