Escapist claims Windows 10 "contains keylogger"

JadedWolf

Escapist isn't claiming this, it's reporting on a Slashdot post. Which comes from a user submission, which is talking about a winbeta.org post.

I never understand why people don't actually follow these links to their source before linking them. Winbeta is the only one doing any actual reporting. They should be what's linked.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't say that MS don't have nefarious intentions for data they collect and collect it shady ways, but data they mention to collect is data they have to actually collect to make system to work.

Like for example speech-to-text service uses internet/cloud based services to assist in speech recognition, and to use such service to assist speech recognition Windows needs to sent recorded sound file to said service over internet and said service needs to process it, which means that MS collected that sound file consisting your voice for at least little bit of time so that their assisting service actually can work

Same goes for anything that you write in Windows search bar, as it also search from net using bing/or some other search service, so things that you write in that search bar needs to be sent in the search service, meaning that MS collects that data so that they can sent you back results from that search service.

And addition to these data collections that MS need to do to make their services work they also collect some use data from technical preview users to see what programs, files etc. they use and how well Windows can handle them. This is done according to MS to help them to find problems in Windows 10 and optimize its performance and that these data collection features will not be at least compulsory part of Windows 10.

And MS tell users of technical preview that they will do these things, so that people know that they will collect these pieces of data.

But anyway MS is :devil: evil :devil:  so I wouldn't stop anybody who wants bash them.

Escapist isn't claiming this, it's reporting on a Slashdot post. Which comes from a user submission, which is talking about a winbeta.org post.

I never understand why people don't actually follow these links to their source before linking them. Winbeta is the only one doing any actual reporting. They should be what's linked.

My reason for posting this was to inform people on this board, which I succeeded in doing.

Otherwise, my dear, I frankly don't give a damn.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I don't say that MS don't have nefarious intentions for data they collect and collect it shady ways, but data they mention to collect is data they have to actually collect to make system to work.

Like for example speech-to-text service uses internet/cloud based services to assist in speech recognition, and to use such service to assist speech recognition Windows needs to sent recorded sound file to said service over internet and said service needs to process it, which means that MS collected that sound file consisting your voice for at least little bit of time so that their assisting service actually can work

Same goes for anything that you write in Windows search bar, as it also search from net using bing/or some other search service, so things that you write in that search bar needs to be sent in the search service, meaning that MS collects that data so that they can sent you back results from that search service.

And addition to these data collections that MS need to do to make their services work they also collect some use data from technical preview users to see what programs, files etc. they use and how well Windows can handle them. This is done according to MS to help them to find problems in Windows 10 and optimize its performance and that these data collection features will not be at least compulsory part of Windows 10.

And MS tell users of technical preview that they will do these things, so that people know that they will collect these pieces of data.

But anyway MS is :devil: evil :devil:  so I wouldn't stop anybody who wants bash them.

Firstly, I think a lot of users don't actually read through the whole user policy, and that's why it's useful that this sort of thing is at least put up for discussion so people can be aware of it and form an opinion on it.

What you say is true, and there are many reasons why it's handy for Microsoft to collect this data in order to optimise their software, and it's not necessarily a sign that Microsoft is wanting to spy on individual people.

I think what it boils down to whether you trust Microsoft or not. Not just in the sense that they may use the collected data for the wrong purposes (well, they will search history for advertisements, but that is nothing new these days sadly), but also whether you trust them to be able to keep the collected data out of the hands of a third party.

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I suddenly realize that Bill Gates is really a voyeur going: "Yeah, stroke that keyboard."

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Firstly, I think a lot of users don't actually read through the whole user policy, and that's why it's useful that this sort of thing is at least put up for discussion so people can be aware of it and form an opinion on it.

What you say is true, and there are many reasons why it's handy for Microsoft to collect this data in order to optimise their software, and it's not necessarily a sign that Microsoft is wanting to spy on individual people.

I think what it boils down to whether you trust Microsoft or not. Not just in the sense that they may use the collected data for the wrong purposes (well, they will search history for advertisements, but that is nothing new these days sadly), but also whether you trust them to be able to keep the collected data out of the hands of a third party.

If you are willingly installing preview version (as product in question is technical preview of Windows 10, a version that is not meant for end user use, but check out and test features, which is why you need to register in MS insider program to get access to it) of their software on your computer, one would think that you have at least some sort of trust towards them.

As general rule I would always recommend people to read contracts they sign, as they are legally binding in most of the cases even if you didn't read them.