Lack of/Uneven amount of Unique Weapon Art

Sensuki

I've spent tonight cheating in all of the weapon files looking for bugs and I've noticed that the amount of unique art for weapons is a bit limited, and in some cases, lacking. Each weapon has a different model for stock, fine and exceptional variants and then most weapon groups have at least one unique model after that. Some have more, and there are a handful of monster variants as well (which are not included in the list).

I won't post the names or any example pictures of any of the weapons for spoiler purposes.

3 Uniques

Quarterstaff

2 Uniques

Battle Axe

Great Sword

Rod

Scepter

1 Unique

Arbalest

Club

Dagger

Estoc

Hatchet

Mace

Morningstar

Pike

Pollaxe

Sabre

Spear

Wand

War Bow

War Hammer

No Uniques

Arquebus

Hunting Bow

Flail

Sword

I find it particularly disappointing that Swords have no unique weapon art, and all look essentially like Short Swords. I know that Chris Avellone hates swords and some people are probably jumping for joy that for once, swords have been left out in this case, but the item type Sword is supposed to be a general group for different types of swords, and due to this fact it is very disappointing that there is no unique models for them in this case.

Swords encompass all one-handed swords that are larger than a dirk/gladius and are suitable for both cutting and thrusting.  A specific sword could be an arming sword or a schiavona or something else in that general category.  In contrast, sabres are much more suitable for cutting than thrusting and rapiers are much more suitable for thrusting than cutting.

Is more unique weapon art planned before release? I noticed that a couple of the 'uniques' are just the base model with some alternate texturing, such as one of the Battle Axes, but it would be nice if some more character art time could be assigned to at least put in a unique sword and flail and touch up some of the others with different textures/shaders. 

The other question is that in the IE games, some weapons, such as flaming swords had animated FX - is this a planned thing as well? (I assume the War Hammer Godsanthunyr would love to have some lightning FX around it)

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 9

Seems incredibly disappointing on all fronts actually, considering how many backer items are going to be weapons.  You can play the "art time" card, but it takes very little time to take an existing texture and make the blade red then just save it as a new one.  Even something that basic is better than having no unique weapon art for an entire weapon group.  Or only one or two uniques.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 12

• 4 weeks later...

Swords encompass all one-handed swords that are larger than a dirk/gladius and are suitable for both cutting and thrusting.  A specific sword could be an arming sword or a schiavona or something else in that general category.  In contrast, sabres are much more suitable for cutting than thrusting and rapiers are much more suitable for thrusting than cutting.

Just wanted to update this

Went through and checked again - ALL swords now have unique models. Dimitri/Char Artists have been going through and adding variants.

Examples

5SJysBB.jpg

:thumbsup:

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 9

Just wanted to update this

Went through and checked again - ALL swords now have unique models. Dimitri/Char Artists have been going through and adding variants.

Examples

5SJysBB.jpg

:thumbsup:

great to hear that :)

Edited by lolaldanee

• 3 months later...

Those sword models I posted earlier are now out of date, swords now look AWESOME. Won't post because Adam Brennecke didn't want us posting non beta stuff.

Several weapon types have had various unique models in. There's still a lot of missing unique weapon models and icons, but they're getting there.

• Like 6

I recall Brandon saying most magic items would get unique icons by release in one of the backer updates. Good to see progress being made on that front :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yeah dunno about that. They said they finished up with icons a while ago and are now working on portraits I assume. Wouldn't expect to see too many more before release.

I was thinking of making a thread that tallies all items that "need" a unique model/icon eventually.

There's also more unique weapons now.

• Like 1

:( pity if no more icons are coming. The more unique art, the better.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It seems that this game will be kinda like Wasteland 2. Overall good game, with great story and RPG elements, but filled with dissapointments at all fronts. Shame it has such a low production value, after all the money they've got through kickstarter. Oh well, maybe after the succes of games like DA:O, Wasteland2, Pillars of Eternity, Tides of Numenera, we will eventually get a AAA version of those games. Let's hope so.

To be fair, the amount they got from Kickstarter is a ridiculously small fraction of a AAA title's average budget—and by "ridiculously small fraction" I mean "less than 1/10th". Considering part of what they gathered went toward fulfilling all pledge rewards (digital and physical goods), it is nothing short of amazing they could pull off a game of the size and scope of Pillars of Eternity.

Let us not forget this game runs on an all-new engine, it is set in an all-new world, and it is based off all-new mechanics. This stuff had to be written and coded from scratch on top of creating all the content, and that takes time and money.

It is true that this game has shortcomings, but in light of the above I consider them forgivable. The devs are working their assess off to fix as many bugs as possible by release, and will keep supporting the game afterward. They're even working on more portraits and chants, and quite frankly the art that is in the game as of v435 is pretty kick ass.

I dropped about $250 on this game, I'm glad I did, and I would do so all over again if given a chance. I'd much rather back a PoE for $250 than purchase a Witcher 3 for $50.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 10

I dropped about $250 on this game, I'm glad I did, and I would do so all over again if given a chance. I'd much rather back a PoE for $250 than purchase a Witcher 3 for $50.

Agreed. Althought I wouldn't play another Witcher game if you payed me $50 to do it, so that's me. :D

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Agreed. Althought I wouldn't play another Witcher game if you payed me $50 to do it, so that's me. :D

Me three!  :yes:

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I doubt it makes it in, but I requested they include the talking weapons like they had in BG2. I laughed like a giddy school girl the first time I encountered those years ago. I don't know why that impressed me so much, but it was fun.

Personally, I always hated Lilarcor, the Sentient Blade. However, it did occur to me that other possibly sentient swords could actually be cool, dropping comments in combat. And in the world of Pillars of Eternity, with the themes presented and the way souls work, you could arguably "simply" have it be a matter of an animated sword, as in a Vessel imbued with a Soul through Animancy.

Xan as a sentient, blue-flame sword, please.

t50aJUd.jpg

I doubt it makes it in, but I requested they include the talking weapons like they had in BG2. I laughed like a giddy school girl the first time I encountered those years ago. I don't know why that impressed me so much, but it was fun.

Personally, I always hated Lilarcor, the Sentient Blade. However, it did occur to me that other possibly sentient swords could actually be cool, dropping comments in combat. And in the world of Pillars of Eternity, with the themes presented and the way souls work, you could arguably "simply" have it be a matter of an animated sword, as in a Vessel imbued with a Soul through Animancy.

Xan as a sentient, blue-flame sword, please.

To be fair, you were *supposed* to hate Lilarcor. It's right there in its backstory, haha. 

Edited by Havelok
  • Like 3