How does the delay affect the Narrative Design ?

Sensuki

We all know that PE has been (thankfully) delayed for further polish. We all know the main areas that need to be addressed in this time. I am wondering how the extra time affects the Narrative Design though.

Chris Avellone stated that he finished work on his companions a few weeks ago. I am not sure whether the narrative team was scheduling to be finished on time or not compared to the rest of the project. If this was going to be the case, or relatively close to it, I would be interested in knowing what extra things could be done with this extra design time other than obviously, polish; or if it was relevant getting feedback on what things Backers would like to see.

One thing that comes to mind is reactivity. It would be nice if more static reactivity could be instilled in the NPC dialogues, rather than solely relying on the reputation and disposition systems. Reactivity to sex, race, class, items or specific quest outcomes spring to mind - where it makes sense of course, rather than being forced in.

I would also like to know if this would give enough time to add a couple of the missing Deities into the Priest deity list, such as Galawain, although I have a feeling they are possibly being left out for story reasons.

More companion interjections & ambient dialogue pieces would also be nice.

Anyone else got any additions?

• Like 3

In BG1 when you first get attacked by an assassin in candlekeep some robed guy asked what happened. You get two options:

1: Be a whiny wuss and cry about how awful it was.

2: Lie and say nuthing happened.

I hated this. I wanted to brag that some weakling tried to killed me but was to pathetic to pose a challenge. I was roleplaying a half-orc fighter who loved battle and hated weaklings. Anyway, I really wished there had been a brag option.

In poe I really hope they use this extra time to add in more bragging dialog. I want to play as an obnoxious jerk.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

1 romance for male players, 1 for female players. Lots of dialogue and few missions tied to it a la jaheira romance. Would add to replay value and perhaps it is possible to include, heard that romances were the last minute decision in BG2.

Sensuki: You put in better words than me, but this is included in my las point in my Prios thread, so I certainly approve of such increased reactivity.

Equally important: They can scour all the texts and convos for bugs and errors and typos, and simply make them excellent now. :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

In BG1 when you first get attacked by an assassin in candlekeep some robed guy asked what happened. You get two options:

1: Be a whiny wuss and cry about how awful it was.

2: Lie and say nuthing happened.

I hated this. I wanted to brag that some weakling tried to killed me but was to pathetic to pose a challenge. I was roleplaying a half-orc fighter who loved battle and hated weaklings. Anyway, I really wished there had been a brag option.

In poe I really hope they use this extra time to add in more bragging dialog. I want to play as an obnoxious jerk.

am doubtful that bragging and boasting gets much attention in PoE, and that is kinda a shame. Gromnir is a fan o' the classics, and it always saddened us that judeo-christian notions o' heroism has forced humility 'pon us. would homer's hector pass up a chance to boast? come up with a list o' virtues for beowulf and you would never think to include humble or self-deprecating. the classic heroes were braggarts and it is almost criminal that we has mistaken classical notions o' hubris for modern when reading greek tragedy. for the hero, a good boast were as much a prerequisite as were skill at arms. what a shame that we has become civilized.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I don't care. Its hard to say more for a quantity we don't really know about and you can go overboard on that as well.

Aa I said in the other thread as well its not going to be an area that is lacking. As such effort is better spent on something else.

I wouldn't mind though if additional time is spent on an more elaborate additional dialogue path depending on your stats/race/something like low intelligence (if that fell through)

Edited by C2B

We all know that PE has been (thankfully) delayed for further polish. We all know the main areas that need to be addressed in this time. I am wondering how the extra time affects the Narrative Design though.

Chris Avellone stated that he finished work on his companions a few weeks ago. I am not sure whether the narrative team was scheduling to be finished on time or not compared to the rest of the project. If this was going to be the case, or relatively close to it, I would be interested in knowing what extra things could be done with this extra design time other than obviously, polish; or if it was relevant getting feedback on what things Backers would like to see.

One thing that comes to mind is reactivity. It would be nice if more static reactivity could be instilled in the NPC dialogues, rather than solely relying on the reputation and disposition systems. Reactivity to sex, race, class, items or specific quest outcomes spring to mind - where it makes sense of course, rather than being forced in.

I would also like to know if this would give enough time to add a couple of the missing Deities into the Priest deity list, such as Galawain, although I have a feeling they are possibly being left out for story reasons.

More companion interjections & ambient dialogue pieces would also be nice.

Anyone else got any additions?

They are definitly in some form still working on it. Dialouge is one of the last things to get finalized. Especially if VO still isn't done yet.

At least FE is.

we don't really know about and you can go overboard on that as well.

Which is why I asked about it.

A I said in the other thread as well its not going to be an area that is lacking. As such effort is better spent on something else.

Like what? If they're planning to keep narrative designers - Eric, Carrie, Matt, Robert on for the duration of the project, what else should they work on?

In the OP, I was asking if there's more time for extras, and then I said if there is - here's some stuff that I'd like to see.

That's feedback.

Edited by Sensuki

A I said in the other thread as well its not going to be an area that is lacking. As such effort is better spent on something else.

Like what? If they're planning to keep narrative designers - Eric, Carrie, Matt, Robert on for the duration of the project, what else should they work on?

I'd actually argue they'll do more narrative work for the expansion - they can write up more ideas and quests and select the best ones, improving the overall quality.

we don't really know about and you can go overboard on that as well.

Which is why I asked about it.

In the OP, I was asking if there's more time for extras, and then I said if there is - here's some stuff that I'd like to see.

That's feedback.

The expansion.

And effort in the sense of bringing in another programmer for example and utilizing the narrative deisgners on something else (Like another project or the expansion.)

Edited by C2B