A rant on KOTOR 2

img-3.JPG
here's the real exile :Jedi Jesus :dancing: 
btw i've really used this one as my canon jedi exile
same dialogue decisions (Vaklu)

Poor Meetra Surik.

How dare you use that name here.

886px-MeetraSurikSpirit-TOR.jpg

if i need to be honest, i don't this style,this 'exile' is horrific,it's just lazy npc stock model and the name is terrible.it sounds wrong
just this guy's opinion
this is just outside my opinion on the canon

Edited by DarthDeven

Poor Meetra Surik.

How dare you use that name here.

I'm sticking with my headcanon where that's a brainwashed handmaiden.

Revan is a brainwashed Atton. Kreia really did a number on some people.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Poor Meetra Surik.

How dare you use that name here.

I'm sticking with my headcanon where that's a brainwashed handmaiden.

Revan is a brainwashed Atton. Kreia really did a number on some people.

works a lot better than the 'canon' explanation :w00t:

They should have made Revan a woman rather than The Exile. Works better, and would have the added bonus of making all those 14 year old Revan/ Bastila fans cry bitter tears.

well,in my opinion Revan works more as a DarkSideMale,for me is the best,no annoying Carth romance,get rid of Juhani,be the Dark Lord of the Sith and get vengeance of the foolish jedi who dared trying to manipulate you

Bastila is my choice(battle meditation=win),but that's fine if someone wants Carth/Juhani or nobody,i don't care.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

i have a bad feeling about this...

Edited by DarthDeven

They should have made Revan a woman rather than The Exile. Works better, and would have the added bonus of making all those 14 year old Revan/ Bastila fans cry bitter tears.

The only problem with a female Exile is that Disciple is terrible.

The Handmaiden is Kreia's daughter, for crying out loud.

Edit: Is it just me or does that sound like Wil Wheaton with something caught in his throat?

Pretty sure that the canon (or 'canon', now) is that both Handmaiden and Disciple were present with (female) Exile in any case. I'd go for that fine fellow HK47 on the romance front, has the most game friendly philosophical take on it plus takes the mick out of both Carth and Bastila romances. And I didn't even like him much in K2.

The only problem with a female Exile is that Disciple is terrible.

The Handmaiden is Kreia's daughter, for crying out loud.

Edit: Is it just me or does that sound like Wil Wheaton with something caught in his throat?

it was only rumored,it was never confirmed,and now it will never will

I don't recognize ToR as canon. Maybe an alternate timeline. Kotor ended with Revan being gone and Exile going to look for him, that's the canon I know.

• Like 2

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

KoTOR 2 has greatly influenced how I live my life. It shouldn't be mocked.

For example, I've used "That starship won't fly" and "up her boarding ramp" as actual real life euphemisms.

[influence: Success]

I'll try to be as clear as possible:

1. There is NOTHING wrong about ranting about games

2. Making a new topic for every single rant DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE

As I said before, imagine if every single random news from the Random Video Game News topic would be pulled out from there and slapped on the main page as single topics, would that make any sense to you?. This and the rest of joke rant topics are a cry for help. We simply wish to keep the forum tidy. This is an awesome forum and I don't want it to turn into a dump.

That's exactly what I thought you said earlier, so I did get it

But that has nothing to do with this being a joke "rant" and that is what I was explaining to Qistina, she mustn't think this is a legitimate rant.

You mean this is not real?

Not entirely sure why you assumed she didn't get that.

Is it because she is a woman? Are you a sexist Bruce?

:lol: that's cheeky and you know it

I assumed she wouldn't get it because somethings are lost in translation and English isn't her first language. She also seemed to be asking a real question. But I may be wrong, maybe she can confirm ?

It was a real question, but now i get it, thanks

But in anyway, generally i don't really understand what KotOR 2 is about

i. Kreia want to train Exile to become powerful like Revan

ii. Kreia to destroy the galaxy by destroying the Force and she hate the Force

How these two mix?

What exactly Kreia want? She sacrifice her hands for the Exile, in the end she want to destroy everything?

It's about betrayal.

And what can change the nature of a man, of course.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

ToR is definitely canon

Star Wars canonicity is a complicated affair. Suffice to say though that TOR is in the same boat as both KOTORs officially.

We have an entire board dedicated to this game, which is why I'm bloody well moving it there.

but the rants are on "Videogames and Console" and it's easier for people to reply there than leave it here to rot where only very few users reply to this board 

or it's because rants aren't welcome and was purposely left to rot?

(just asking)

Edited by DarthDeven

Up ya go.

And yes, like everyone else I dread in fear how much BioWare will further ruin a beloved game series in their new TOR x-pack.

Probably gay Revan romance... since that's "new BioWare" after all... :/

It's not BioWare if it ain't shaggable...

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

• 2 months later...

Obsidian y u no finish ending??

Just throwing in my two cents here:

I thought the ending was good, and overall I think KOTOR 2 was excellent. It's still one of those games I find worth going back to - have replayed many times, such great RPG elements, and so well-written dialogue (with excellent voice acting to boot), love this game 8)

The ending is not grand, that is actually the main problem KotOR 2.

KotOR the first hanve a grand ending, Revan with Republic fleet storming the Star Forge, then face the Star Forge defenses, saving her/his friend/lover Bastila, then face the main villain alone, saving the Republic or become the Dark Lord, that's grand

KotOR 2, i actually don't quite understand anyway, but she/he know what her/his nature, then flew to Malachor with friends, kill waves Sith cultists, then face the undead Sith, and face Kreia, kill Kreia...then...what hell is going on? Malachor blew up or not...then flew to the galaxy....or not....

The whole KotOR 2 is great, the writing is great, but end up like that, not a grand ending

Fighting Nihilus also not grand, only the Mandalorian scene is grand, but just that, Nihilus himself is not live up with the propaganda about him if you know what i mean...eating planets, the ship is put together by him, but the encounter with him is so disappointing

I thought KotOR2 was a clear example of "good concept, botched execution." LucasArt's releasing it before it was finished certainly didn't help matters.

In terms of writing and characterisation, it's flatly superior to the first game. But the way the game handles things leaves a lot to be desired:

- Peragus: This section felt like something out a survival horror game like System Shock. The problem is, it wasn't scary or spooky at all, and it becomes a drag on subsequent playthroughs.

- Kreia: she's one of the most well-written Star Wars characters, but the way the game forces you to put up with her is immensely irritating. She suffers a bit from what I like to call "Wesley Crusher Syndrome," where the writers are so enamored with a character that they shove them down your throat at every opportunity. Kreia lectures you no matter you do. She lectures you via telepathy if you choose not to take her with you. She lectures you if you forget to brush your teeth and comb your hair in the morning. You'd think that her sociopathic, proto-fascist philosophy would start setting off warning bells in the mind of a light-side Exile, who would take steps to create some sort of contingency in the event of her inevitable betrayal. (In that way, KotoR2 reminds me of NWN and Throne of Bhaal, where despite the game practically screaming in your face, "THIS CHARACTER IS EVIL AND WILL BETRAY YOU", you are forced to go along with their manipulations).

- I don't like it when games force me to take along party members. Visas Marr attempts to kill my character, and yet I have no choice but to let her join my party. Why am I not given the option to either kill her or sending her packing? CREEPY VISAS IS CREEPY.

- As I've implied above, there's a number of times in the game where my character is made to do something stupid in order to advance the plot. A lot of RPGs suffer from this on occasion (like in Baldur's Gate, where CHARNAME can't figure out that "Koveras" is actually "Sarevok" spelled backwards), but it felt extremely grating in KotOR2. If my character knows there's a huge bounty on Jedi, and he meets someone who identifies herself as a bounty hunter, why would he agree to go back to an apartment with her?

- CREEPY VISAS IS CREEPY

- The game was just too easy. I played as Consular with nearly all my points put into WIS and CHA, and by the time I reached Telos I was basically just walking into rooms full of enemies, shocking them to death with Force lightning, and then repeating the process for the next room. The only time the game was remotely challenging was when I was forced to take control of other party members.

- The ending: Yes, I realise the developers ran out of time, but knowing Revan and the Exile's ultimate fate in SWTOR transforms an Empire Strikes Back-esque downer ending into a full on shaggy dog story. No matter what choices you make, the Exile is destined to die stupidly and spend the next few centuries as Revan's personal crisis counselor.

Edited by 500MetricTonnes

"There is no greatness where simplicity, goodness and truth are absent." - Leo Tolstoy

KotOR 2 is actually far superior than KotOR in the writing and plot, but like you said it have poor execution, there are holes everywhere. I don't think time is an excuse

KotOR 2 implement many new unneeded things such as blowing hairs, blowing robes, crafting mechanic, character progression mechanic and DnD magic, if they know there's not enough time why waste them in making these things? These new things end up insignificant

KotOR is actually the standard Bioware trope with a twist, the way the game handle the story is not far different with DA:O, it just that DA:O is more complex and many content than KotOR. main character going through origin phase, then something big happen, then going to places to reach objectives, then final battle. Both KotOR and DA:O have this cliche

While KotOR 2 is made by Obsidian so the way the story goes is different, still the character going to places but really the first time i play i don't see any point in going to those places, for what? But because of the game demand i go then i go. It is because of the choice, I don't have a motivation to seek out the surviving Jedis, no motivation on gaining their help or revenge, none at all. The game fail to give me the motivation. That what make it different with KotOR where Bioware at that time is excellent in giving the player a motivation.

So when playing KotOR 2 to the end, i become like most players asking "what the hell happned?". Truly i still don't understand how Bao Dur isn't in the party anymore, and why that floating thing must do what it do at Malachor, i don't understand the whole plot, and i don't understand the Goto plot either, why he want to attack the floating orb? Even with TSLRCM i still don't understand.

Even TSLRCM restore HK-47 plot, it's good and funny the first time, but replaying it over and over it lost it's charm, it just a quest we must going though in order to proceed, the same thing happen each time, kill those droids and that's all.

Edited by Qistina

• 2 weeks later...

Up ya go.

And yes, like everyone else I dread in fear how much BioWare will further ruin a beloved game series in their new TOR x-pack.

Probably gay Revan romance... since that's "new BioWare" after all... :/

It's not BioWare if it ain't shaggable...

Not gay Revan romance, but somebody somewhere seems too enamoured of a character that should have died with Kotor 1&2.

Spoiler for those who havent gotten the expansion yet.

Say hello to undead Revan and his schizophrenic living counter part. Take that Yoda and Obi-Wan, alive and a force ghost at the same time!

Sadly, you have to make a romance choice at the very end, so you can't have a nice orgy with your old flame, Theron and Lana all at the same time, despite cheating outrageously and flirting with everyone and his Ewok.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein