The NHL thread 2014/2015

mkreku

• 2 weeks later...

And my team is already circling the basement in the standings after two games.  And two thirds of the top line are injured already!  Go Oilers!

I'm going to my first ever NHL game on Friday.  It's quite sad, being a Canadian and all.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I have to ramble a little bit more. LEAFS! 41 POINTS! BEATING THE DUCKS TONITE!

We're actually having an OK season so far. Who knew.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 3 months later...

Wow, was the above ever a doomsday post or what? Leafs totally tanked the entire season right after I posted that.

Anyhow, Ovechkin just scored goal number 50 for the sixth time in his ten year career. That's actually pretty fantastic, especially considering that the closest competitor for the Rocket Richard trophy is at 40 goals this season. I might be imagining things, but it seems both goalscoring and points production overall are way down this year. Noone is even close to 100 points.

I also noticed that Erik Karlsson, the young Swedish Sens defender has more points than the best player on the Leafs (Kessel). Not sure if I should be happy or sad about that.

So a few weeks back, I went to my first professional ice hockey match in 20+ years. San Jose Sharks vs. the Vancouver Killer Whales.

Most incredibly boring sports entertainment show I've ever been to.

What I picked up from the game as far as strategery was concerned was that the team without the puck would flood their players between the two blue lines on center ice and essentially prevent the offensive team from skating through. Instead, they would flick the puck across the boards and chase after it. Rinse and repeat ad-nauseum. I can't recall any player actually carrying the puck pass the second blue line.

jacques-lemaire-new-jersey-devils-101jpg

I thought ice hockey would be more similar to NHL '94 that I played on my old Sega. Atleast there was some manner of fistacuffs very early on.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Please tell me that not every team in the NHL plays dump and chase and neutral zone trap. It's just sucking the enjoyment of the game for me. That's what initially made me lose interest in the early 2000's.

They need to seriously do something to open up the game more.  Either widen the rink to International standards or go 4 on 4. As it stands right now, everything is just too compacted. As a spectator, I want to see slick stickhandling, snazzy passing, and fancy skating. You know...skill.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yeah, this is the reason I kind of prefer to watch European hockey. I just wish the best players didn't always go where the money is (NHL) because the best leagues and the best fans seem to be in Europe.

• Like 1

"Yeah, this is the reason I kind of prefer to watch European hockey. I just wish the best players didn't always go where the money is (NHL) because the best leagues and the best fans seem to be in Europe."

No.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 1 month later...

Leafs hire Bab****:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12920242/toronto-maple-leafs-hire-mike-bab****-head-coach

Ok, yeah, they paid him $50 million.. but I'm still pretty excited. The biggest problems the Leafs have had in the last few years is not the quality of their roster (with a few exceptions), but their inability to get the best out of those players. I'm not expecting a cup, but maybe playoffs might become a reality?

I sure do miss Sundin's leadership though. Phaneuf hasn't exactly been an adequate replacement.

Yeah because Sundin's 'leadership' won them a bunch of cups.....

Anyways, damn Rangers and Lundqvist. Some **** shows goin' on there. They need to tighten up. Still, series is only 2-1. Lots of games to go. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 4 weeks later...

us-illinois-chicago-flags-at-navy-pier-c

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)