A rant on... Mass Effect 3

DarthDeven

hi guys
it may be strange for you to see it now,but i needed to tell this off my chest
i needed to publish this rant
i first played ME1 two years ago,in september before the school began

then after a while and after completing ME1 for 3 times i decided to move onto the next chapter ME2
i was first dissapointed how the lore was retconned so much at the start of the game,Shepard's forced death,pointless spectre authority,thermal clips,ect
and how the RPG elements from the original were removed

but the dialogue mechanic was improved and found myself loving the game for the superb characters and the immersion it gave me
after i finished this game other times to level up my character and be at max for ME3

then i was excited for ME3,so i bought the CE (as i did with the other ME)
i played through the game,but i noticed so many plotholes,laziness,stupid design decision,it removed more than give
but after completing the story without the EC to see if the ending was so bad as the internet told,and it was right
after the insulting message to buy more dlc,i raged and turned off my xbox

then i realized that wasn't only the ending that i actually hated and i realized that the whole plot fell apart from the very beginning  
the ending just unleashed what i actually felt during the entire game in several seconds
it has caused the 'story collapse' for me

“Story Collapse”  That’s the process where some plot hole or nonsensical event irritates you and causes you to analyze the story more closely, which reveals more problems, which leads to more scrutiny, until the whole thing falls apart.  At first I just thought the story was a bit dull and convoluted, but once this scene happened I began looking more closely and uncovered all of these other problems.
Quote from here
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=14411

so i'm gonna post it here

in a nutshell

• The RPG elements were dumbed down even more in favour of combat or turned into combat related elements
  • The Exploration is pointless and non-existent
  • The game forces you into bland and boring shooting sections at any occasion,even if doesn't make sense
  • the dialogue mechanic,the bake and bread of Mass Effect was dumbed down to 2 options,with shepard speaking automatically 90% of his lines,most of investigate,Intimidate\Charm,neutral options are removed
  • The story sucks (this will have a special spot)
  • Tali's face was photoshopped using a free image sharing site and altering slightly the image for 5 minutes thinking that we are fools that will never find out
  • Day One DLC 
  • The Normandy is ugly and horrible in that dark red lightning,junk thrown around,cables visible on the floor
  • Forced decisions or outcomes (Shepard forced into the alliance)
  • Illusion of choice strikes again (Hello Rachni,weren't you dead? sorry,my bad,i thought that queen on Noveria was the last one )
  • The Spectre authority is useless once again (don't tell me that those 3 crappy weapons are all) and doesn't change nothing,since you are elected spectre regardless
  • your choices are watered down to a number (EMS)and this number is reduced in value if you don't play multiplayer,WTF?
  • Interactivity has been dumbed down to an extreme level
  • Side quests are so boring and repetitive (oh overhear a guy that talks about a random relic that no one cared about before,let's go into the reaper controlled space to find this useless piece of crap and deliver it to that guy) 
  • The N7 missions are simply ripped off SP version of the multiplayer missions
  • all Romances except Liara has the 'fade to black' crap 
  • Diana Allers and James Vega Seriously?these guys are in the game? Jersey Shore Effect
  • ANNOYING as hell Zaeed type of dialogue with companions, i hated Zaeed's dialogue in ME2,i never spoke to him once after i've finished his loyalty quests 
    The Zaeed Autodialogue system is when the companions reply to shepard in a way so bland or uninteresting without even getting into a cinematic (where the dialogue wheel appears and the camera is on your character) dialogue session and Shepard automatically dialogue .Example 'Hi' 'hey' hi shepard' 

watch from 16:40 to 17:04 to get my  valutation 

replace Star Trek with Mass Effect and it's good to go

http://youtu.be/w_AgjWkNGew?t=16m40s 

i will upload my analysis on the story tomorrow

please write your opinions,i'm eager to know them

• Like 1

Oh boy, complaints about Mass Effect 3. And they're totally original ones nobody has ever made before!

....You got banned from BSN because you kept digging up old **** like this, didn't you? That's what's going on here, isn't it?

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 2

Even I'm tired of ranting about Mass Effect 3. I just want to put it in a box with the prequel trilogy and forget it exists.

• Like 5
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Even I'm tired of ranting about Mass Effect 3. I just want to put it in a box with the prequel trilogy and forget it exists.

Add TOR to that list.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Oh sweet Jesus, are we going to have a Rant On thread for every single game?  I'm fine with people discussing what they don't like about a game, but I'm envisioning a dark near future where the whole first page is flooded with these ****ing threads.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

....You got banned from BSN because you kept digging up old **** like this, didn't you? That's what's going on here, isn't it?

To be fair, it is incredibly easy to be banned from the BSN.

I was banned for talking about how piracy is bad.

Heck, I was banned from NeoGAF for defending one of Obsidian's non-white employees back when nobody liked the concept art.

• Like 1

Oh sweet Jesus, are we going to have a Rant On thread for every single game?  I'm fine with people discussing what they don't like about a game, but I'm envisioning a dark near future where the whole first page is flooded with these ****ing threads.

Its a  bright new world Keyrock fulled with young and enthusiastic pioneers who have there own interpretation of history and events. The best thing people like you and me can do is just sit on the porch, smoke our pipes and reminisce about the old days and " how good they were " :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, I can safely say that multiplayer ME3 was the most multiplayer FPS I've played since the original Counter-Strike.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

all right,i'm damn tired of people actually being rude because they don't like opinions
i write my own and you don't like it?fine but don't bother me  
you're pissed at me because you've already complained and now you don't care about other people's opinions once yours was out
i played the game late,and i can comment on it,even after 20 years
it's a goddamn forum on opinions and you guys complain about someone 'new' ranting too much
i don't bother you in other forums about you posting too much
what do you expect to be?
i've got all the rights to write here
A word of advice
IF YOU DON'T CARE DON'T REPLY,I GOT IT THAT YOU DON'T LIKE IT.
i thought that here there may be better people than BSN,but it appears i was wrong

Anybody else gets the feeling that the new guys are ranting too much?

then ignore the posts and don't reply

i do that,simple solution

Ignore them,pal,i'm not there in other forums complaining about you exchanging your own views on a game or 'full of ****ing threads' of rants and opinions
i should call them out as well
so if you don't have any significant arguments about this game,you can leave right now

Oh boy, complaints about Mass Effect 3. And they're totally original ones nobody has ever made before!

yeah,they're more original than people being rude to those who want to tell their own opinions on a forum 
it looks i'm on BSN and not on the Obsidian forums,i wasn't aware of people being so 'nice' to newbies,no it's even worse than BSN,when i told my long textwall rant nobody complained,they either
1)Told that they agreed or disagreed
2)ignored my post and moved on the next one
it's so hard for you?
you jump on the throat of every guy who dares tell his opinion here?

nope i never got banned on BSN,i post on whatever bothers me,Skyrim,oblivion,you name it

Edited by DarthDeven
  • Like 1

I dislike ME3 as much as.. well some people I guess? But like any other game, I tend not to let myself get riled up on one title's awfulness, despite who made it or whatever reputation there might be behind its developer/track record. Heck, some of my favorite franchises have gone downhill, but like most games, good games come and go in rapid succession. I don't much get the blind loyalty towards a developer, they aren't your friends and they care even less about you -- they just want your money. I tend to approach games with the mindset that is reflected upon its presentation and not so much its history.

Disregarding all that -- there's nothing wrong with speaking one's mind on a game, whatever feelings it might involve, but ME3 has been so thoroughly torn apart at this point it looks like a farm-pig post the slaughter house.

Edited by TheChris92
  • Like 3

I dislike ME3 as much as.. well some people I guess? But like any other game, I tend not to let myself get riled up on one title's awfulness, despite who made it or whatever reputation there might be behind its developer/track record. Heck, some of my favorite franchises have gone downhill, but like most games, good games come and go in rapid succession. I don't much get the blind loyalty towards a developer, they aren't your friends and they care even less about you -- they just want your money. I tend to approach games with the mindset that is reflected upon its presentation and not so much its history.

Disregarding all that -- there's nothing wrong with speaking one's mind on a game, whatever feelings it might involve, but ME3 has been so thoroughly torn apart at this point it looks like a farm-pig post the slaughter house.

the first mature reply i've received in this topic

agree,but there's no reason why these games should keep on being great.

i'm maybe symphathetic at best to a game developer when it produces good quality games,but i condamn it when it produces bad quality games and i tend to distrust them more

Obsidian did many good games,but they did many mistakes too.

i know that ME3 has been criticized before,but my reasons are different than the usual ones,i wanted the game to reach its full potential

i don't like criticize a game,but if it needs it,it's in my blood.i simply feel that i have to do it.

all right,i'm damn tired of people actually being rude because they don't like opinions

i write my own and you don't like it?fine but don't bother me  

you're pissed at me because you've already complained and now you don't care about other people's opinions once yours was out

i played the game late,and i can comment on it,even after 20 years

it's a goddamn forum on opinions and you guys complain about someone 'new' ranting too much

i don't bother you in other forums about you posting too much

what do you expect to be?

i've got all the rights to write here

A word of advice

IF YOU DON'T CARE DON'T REPLY,I GOT IT THAT YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

i thought that here there may be better people than BSN,but it appears i was wrong

Anybody else gets the feeling that the new guys are ranting too much?

then ignore the posts and don't reply

i do that,simple solution

Ignore them,pal,i'm not there in other forums complaining about you exchanging your own views on a game or 'full of ****ing threads' of rants and opinions

i should call them out as well

so if you don't have any significant arguments about this game,you can leave right now

yeah,they're more original than people being rude to those who want to tell their own opinions on a forum 

it looks i'm on BSN and not on the Obsidian forums,i wasn't aware of people being so 'nice' to newbies,no it's even worse than BSN,when i told my long textwall rant nobody complained,they either

1)Told that they agreed or disagreed

2)ignored my post and moved on the next one

it's so hard for you?

you jump on the throat of every guy who dares tell his opinion here?

nope i never got banned on BSN,i post on whatever bothers me,Skyrim,oblivion,you name it

Guys I don't mean to stick the knife in but this post actually highlights a real problem at times  on these forums

New people come here to make posts and they treated rudely. My advice is just to consider what you say  to people you don't know on the forums. You may think you joking but that's not how the person see's it. You also don't need to post on any thread you think is silly to tell people you think its silly , just leave it alone.

Once again I don't mean to lecture people but something needs to be said

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I know how you feel. I had to do a Mass Effect rant too when I finally got around to finishing the trilogy.

It's kinda funny actually, what provokes these rants. For me at least it's not enough that a game is just bad. Those mostly just make me go :shrug: and move on. It's when a game has genuinely potential and then falls flat for some dumb reason or reasons that I feel a rant coming along.

BioWare excels at that. It's like they serve you a delicous bowl of meatballs with spaghetti but then it turns out half the meatballs are actually dog turds. Y U PUT IN THE DOG TURDS???

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

1) I tend to roll my eyes when I see these individual rant topics.

2) Some of these anti-rant posts are a bit cathartic and humorous.

3) These forums aren't all that too welcoming to new posters who try to venture out of their specific sub-forums, e.g. KotOR/PoE.

4) However posters need this ribbing to better familiarize themselves with the lay of the land, i.e. board etiquette, what's acceptable, etc.,...

5) If you can't take the heat, then don't start new topics that will cause eye rolls.

6) Nothing malicious has been explicitly posted. We've all been flamed and trolled in one way or another. Suck it up.

7) LOL @ Bruce for white knighting forum boardies.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

1) I tend to roll my eyes when I see these individual rant topics.

2) Some of these anti-rant posts are a bit cathartic and humorous.

3) These forums aren't all that too welcoming to new posters who try to venture out of their specific sub-forums, e.g. KotOR/PoE.

4) However posters need this ribbing to better familiarize themselves with the lay of the land, i.e. board etiquette, what's acceptable, etc.,...

5) If you can't take the heat, then don't start new topics that will cause eye rolls.

6) Nothing malicious has been explicitly posted. We've all been flamed and trolled in one way or another. Suck it up.

7) LOL @ Bruce for white knighting forum boardies.

if you're joking,it's rather funny,but if you're not

about points

1)then suggest me another solution that isn't 'stop posting' or 'suck it up'

3)who said that i\we have to stick into a specific subforum?i welcome people that asks for my opinion,or want to talk,as long they don't act like immature and impatient pricks (i'm not saying that you're one,in case you're thinking that)

4)i don't think that what i have done here is a crime or unacceptable,so i can do it

two rant topics aren't so much,don't you think?

if people blow this out of proportion it's their fault not mine

5)what about people not being a **** in the first place?that would be better for anyone,i don't think that 'not being able to take the heat' justifies the people's rudeness.

i can take the heat as long people are not so rude about new posters that actually want to exchange opinions,not flame wars

explain what is 'eye rolling' to you,

6)yeah,i'm sure that nothing malicious was posted,sure you may have been flamed,but it's really necessary to do it in this case?

Edited by DarthDeven

The general gist is, lighten up. We were all noobs once and you can give and take with the ribbing.

No one is attacking anyone personally, and atleast in these topics, there's been no vitriol -just having some fun.

These topics have been eyerolled because they have already been discussed to death for years and are essentially beating dead horses. Fairly or not, newer posters who commit unwritten board faux pas will be subject to light mockery. It's all pretty subjective on what constitutes what. Most regulars don't want to engage in old topics with serious discussion because it's not an interesting topic anymore. Thus the resort to humor and mockery.

That's pretty much standard for most boards I've been associated with, albeit that there are varying levels of moderation from community to community. This one isn't very heavy handed, especially when compared to BioWare.

• Like 3

i guess that's pointless trying to ask for opinion here

You're asking for opinions? I thought that you where making numbered statements.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif