List of Prios to Fix until the Early 2015 Release

No actually it's a pretty bad thing to leave them out. It should be an option, anyway.

I think there may be some issues with it because of the amount of sub-sections and slots there are.

Edited by Sensuki

Lock picking XP will become a huge backdoor argument for kill XP and will be the source of renewed and unending angst for players who were clamoring for kill XP if it ends up not being in the game.  Have a few quests or sub-quest line that rewards people for using their leet lock picking skills.  Have a lockiary that ends up doling some XP if it makes folks happy.  Don't put in XP contrary to the rest of the entire XP system *just for one activity!*

Combat xp will be in the game in the form of bestiary pages. I've brought this example up many times:

- Player 1 chooses the non-combat route going through a dungeon, or the least amount of combat possible and finishes a quest. Leaves 90% of critters still alive. Gets the Quest rewards including Quest XP. That's it.

- Player 2 goes on a murderous spree through that same dungeon, killing every critter in sight. Kills 100% of critters. Gets the Quest rewards including Quest XP as well as a couple of bestiary pages which translates into additional XP rewards.

Player 2 gets more XP rewards by going the kill route. Wrap it up any way you want but all it comes down to is - it is kill xp.

I'm all for lock/trap xp. If Obsidian are looking at it and will eventually put it in the game, then great. Seems to be a problem without it and they're introducing it "to increase the regularity of XP rewards across the game".

I don't think they need this specifically.  They just need to be more giving with the exp, instead of making it all at the end of the quest let it be at steps.  Like ogre quest, you get exp for finding the cave (finding his hideout), exp for dealing with him (kill him, make a deal, whatever), and a final bit on the turn in.  Right now you don't get any exp until you have completely finished and turned it in.

• Like 3

Obsidian must be concerned to seriously consider putting it in. When I first played the beta, doing the Dyrfood ruins took some time to do (because I had no idea where I was going and searching all the rooms) and close to an hour I thought, I haven't received any xp and this combat is a chore. ugh. Maybe Obsidian have noticed the same problem. Long stretches without xp rewards.

• Like 1

I'm all for lock/trap xp. If Obsidian are looking at it and will eventually put it in the game, then great. Seems to be a problem without it and they're introducing it "to increase the regularity of XP rewards across the game".

I agree!

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I don't think they need this specifically.  They just need to be more giving with the exp, instead of making it all at the end of the quest let it be at steps.  Like ogre quest, you get exp for finding the cave (finding his hideout), exp for dealing with him (kill him, make a deal, whatever), and a final bit on the turn in.  Right now you don't get any exp until you have completely finished and turned it in.

Yeah I don't understand why this hasn't been the design from the beginning.

• Like 3

Neither do I.  When they said "objective" exp this is what I was expecting.  It is how it is done in every other game I have played that is Objective EXP based, like Deus Ex for example.

Neither do I.  When they said "objective" exp this is what I was expecting.  It is how it is done in every other game I have played that is Objective EXP based, like Deus Ex for example.

I'm not sure I get what you two are talking about. You get XP each time you get a quest update. I can get 3 xp updates for Cat&Mouse if I take the time to talk to both sides or one update if I just kill Medreth right away and talk to the Orlan in the Inn. There is various XP update for Blood Legacy starting with talking with the guy in the Inn. Entering the Ogre's cave gives 1500XP if you have Pilgrim's Pligth's in your logbook.

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I'm certainly not the best to talk seeing as after a dozen playthroughs on the first beta I never got a single xp point and was a bit burnt out for a while.
I've played through smaller sections on the second patch in an attempt to try all of the race/class combos involving at least one of the main Dyrwood quests in individual playthroughs. While I regularly received quest updates, I'm almost positive that they didn't come with xp grants until quest completion. If there has been a more recent patch, or these playtests were just bugged, then I definitely believe Obsidian are headed in the right direction.
Again, I think that the limited/bugged (understandably so) beta has been the cause of a good deal of consternation which I think will prove unwarranted.
EDIT: A whole mess' o 'grammar and whatnot...

Edited by Bloody Hypocrite

The thing about lock XP is... it should still be that certain lockpickings grant XP, and others don't. If you find a locked chest in some monster's cave treasury, and inside it are The Sword Of Amazetasticness and 1,000cp, and you don't accomplish anything else in unlocking that chest (in relation to the story or any "quest"/situation/world conditions), then why is acquiring the stuff in that chest somehow a lackluster reward for picking ONE lock? "There's not any incentive for it... I need some XP, too. As a garnish."

Now, if picking a lock gets you valuable access to the baron's castle or something, then great. If getting access to that actually achieves something beyond a success at lockpicking, then XP. On the other hand, if you get into the baron's castle via some other means, then picking that lock shouldn't get you jack crap. Unless it accomplishes an escape from that very area, perhaps.

Just think about how anything was ever made a quest in the first place. Or, think about Exploration. You an explore a new 10-foot square of a grassy field, and you don't get XP. And you might think "Well, obviously... that's not a significant discovery/exploration effort." But... that's the point. If you don't filter what's actually significant, and what isn't, then what's the point? Arbitrary things grant XP at that point.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

My problem with the Baron's castle scenario is if you can get into the castle some other way, perhaps even a more clever way, and get no experience, but if you pick the lock you get XP.  I don't want to make one turn in a dungeon, kill some creep and take his key (or pick his pocket or convince him to give me the key) and get no experience when I get past the door whereas if I go the other way and find the door first (completely by chance) and pick the lock to get experience, and then find the same key later.

Give experience for getting into the castle, one method of which can be picking the lock.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Matt hates Lock XP so much that he turned into a ghost...right on time for Halloween.

I'm still trying to understand why Josh wanted to add that in personally. There is nothing to reward to unlock something. You are either getting loot from a chest, progressing in a quest or exploring.

• Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Matt hates Lock XP so much that he turned into a ghost...right on time for Halloween.

I'm still trying to understand why Josh wanted to add that in personally. There is nothing to reward to unlock something. You are either getting loot from a chest, progressing in a quest or exploring.

It's a way to reward the use of a non-combat skill - would be my guess... 

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Personally, I don't think it's Sawyer. I think there's a faction that does and the big cheese is in it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Give experience for getting into the castle, one method of which can be picking the lock.

That's what I was trying to say. The act of picking the lock is only important because of what is gained by it. Not because it happened to be a lock, and you happened to pick it.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

If I started a new account and bought a beta key and started doing the same thing in an unrecognizable style, people would be going "wow great job!" rather than "oh no not another sensuki thread".

Actually I am not 100% sure they would.  Many new posters post similar feedback threads and get little to no responses at all.  You are forgetting the old (and true) adage, no such thing as bad publicity.  Even if someone goes into your thread just to rag on you they are still bumping it and drawing attention to it.

Actually I am not 100% sure they would.  Many new posters post similar feedback threads and get little to no responses at all.  You are forgetting the old (and true) adage, no such thing as bad publicity.  Even if someone goes into your thread just to rag on you they are still bumping it and drawing attention to it.

To be fair barely anyone really goes it so much effort they post videos, so that makes him stand out more than the rest.

• Like 1

To be fair barely anyone really goes it so much effort they post videos, so that makes him stand out more than the rest.

There is also that by putting so much effort in their suggestions, they make people more accepting and less scrutinizing to them. And there are people that just take a glance, see all that work, go WOW, and post "Great work!" by default.

Edit: Before anyone gets to defensive, I'm talking in general.

Edited by Lychnidos

There is also that by putting so much effort in their suggestions, they make people more accepting and less scrutinizing to them. And there are people that just take a glance, see all that work, go WOW, and post "Great work!" by default.

Heh... I'm gonna call those people bizarro trolls. :)

Despite what you may think guys, I appreciate Sensuki's work for the game (even though I think he can be annoying sometimes).

The bottom-line is, he'll cry out about 100, 300 things- we may get to actually see 20 being fixed. That's more than nothing.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.