Pillars of Eternity Delayed

Ward

Great news - seriously. Been saying since day one that the game didn't feel like something to be released in just three months time. Glad Obsidian finally realized that, too.

Also, in regards to all the people back then flaming anyone who dared mentioning the worrying state of the game in regards to the rather close deadline:

"Today you get to say, "I told you so". 

"Today, I don't want to...but I did bloody tell you."

:p

Edited by war:head

There is a road that I must travel
Let it be paved or unseen
May I be hindered by a thousand stones
Still onward I'd crawl down on my knees.

Great news - seriously. Been saying since day one that the game didn't feel like something to be released in just three months time. Glad Obsidian finally realized that, too.

Also, in regards to all the people back then flaming anyone who dared mentioning the worrying state of the game in regards to the rather close deadline:

"Today you get to say, "I told you so". 

"Today, I don't want to...but I did bloody tell you."

:p

Sorry I'm not mature enough to take the high road.. too many fanboys I need to smack around. It's time they became men.

From George Ziets @ http://new.spring.me/#!/user/GZiets/timeline/responses

Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat. While this does put more emphasis on solving quests, the lack of rewards for killing creatures makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game) as much as I can.

This is great stuff!

I still hope they release a Steam (Public) Early Access product around Winter 2014 where you start at the intended start location and can play the game as intended (pretty much the full game, with an "Early Access" stamp). Then they can work on Pillars of Eternity til Early 2015 (patching, updating, adding content etc). Releasing the Backer Beta on Early Access wouldn't do though, it is way too small for the general public.

Obsidian could even lock some areas out, allow the Player to only play half the game or something and keep them locked til Early 2015.

I have explained several times before why I think Pillars of Eternity on Early Access would do the game good, and Obsidian Entertainment:
- More revenue for Obsidian
- More content for Pillars of Eternity
- More eyes on Pillars of Eternity (More attention/awareness in Steam store)

• Like 1

Good on Obsidian for taking the time they need to get it right. It's a relief, honestly. I'd be willing to wait another year if it meant an awesome title that stood shoulder-to-shoulder with Baldur's Gate 2.

Edited by PrimeHydra

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

I'd personally prefer no Early Access, tbh. When I get the full game, I want it to be the full game - the game OE intended. If they think they need a few extra months to finish the game, why would I want to play it before that few extra months is done? No thanks. :p

• Like 4

Yeah that one tree model has some brightness issues. They took the base tree and edited the color of it but it looks pretty crap hahah.

Still the low fidelity doesn't bother me in the slightest because the art is good - and that's why I am REALLY looking forward to Serpent in the Staglands

Serpent-in-the-Staglands-01.jpg

s420.gif

Did you really use that gif outside of the codex?

But on a positive note, serpent is really looking amazing. I am surprised with the small amount of money they asked for in the kickstarter they came up with such an original game. I await the combat beta. 

Edited by Captain Shrek

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

I am surprised with the small amount of money they asked for in the kickstarter they came up with such an original game.

Kickstarter doubles as a quite good marketing mechanism, the amounts asked for might not always be that crucial for the development.

Serpent in the Staglands does look good but thats because its art is in one distinctive art style.

That said I think PoE´s art looks very good even if there are contrasts here and there.

I am totally averse to 2D artform but I still find serpents great because of its mechanics and settings. The art is crap as far as my tastes go. I dislike bit graphics. 

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

I'd personally prefer no Early Access, tbh. When I get the full game, I want it to be the full game - the game OE intended.

Completely concur.  I even stopped playing the beta except to check very specific things in the latest patch.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

That's BGEE's fault not Baldur's Gate. They blurred the terrain intentionally because it looks bad when zoomed in.

Vanilla BG1 looks GLORIOUS in 640x480 @160Hz on my 22" CRT monitor, absolutely glorious.

Does it look so good that it... hertz?

6_u

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'd personally prefer no Early Access, tbh. When I get the full game, I want it to be the full game - the game OE intended.

Completely concur. I even stopped playing the beta except to check very specific things in the latest patch.

That's pretty much how I've always used it haha. I test combat and inventory a bit, usually find enough significant bugs to report, then argue and theorycraft on the forums until the next patch. xD

I'm the opposite, I plan to rigorously test the whole beta, one piece at a time. Currently I'm focusing on the Dyrford Crossing - and I have been getting complaints that I'm focusing on the Dyrford Crossing too much, well I'm not finished with it yet. Then I'll move onto the Ogre Cave, Dyrford Village, Dyrford Ruins, Stormwall Gorge and Lle A Rhemen later in the beta.

v301 has a lot of changes, it will take a long time to even get through all of the changes to classes and abilities and it is disappointing that these were not documented.

Sure, do what you want and whatever you feel neccesary. You're the game dev geniuses, I'm just an opinionated guy who argues about stuff on the internet.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?