Delayed to early 2015

Challenge: Try to think of an RPG - one single RPG - that wasn't delayed.

KotOR 2?

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I am happy to wait longer if it means the game will be better so no issues here, you guys go ahead and do your thing. Also it's good to know you're no longer putting the PoE team through a death march....nobody deserves that so hopefully the developers will also be happier at the end of this and not just because the game is better.

1zq6793.jpg

we will say that providing more development time is likely to result in many folks being more upset. many folks want more time so that PoE can become more the game Bob or Sandy or Phil wants the game to be. if obsidian uses the time they got to make the game better as obsidian envisions, that will anger many folks.

"with two extra months you managed to make the game worse instead of better!"

am hopeful that obsidian doesn't use extra time to give PoE broader appeal-- that would be a mistake. the more a developer or writer or whatever tries to appeal to everybody, the less chance he/she gots of impressing anybody. use the extra time to make PoE better. use extra time to make PoE different is unlikely to end well. unsolicited advice to obsidian: stick with the vision you has been following for two years. listen to feedback? sure, but don't let those folks make you second guess whether fundamental choices made two years ago were right or wrong. adjust and improve, but don't make PoE a different game.

am gonna play the role of cassandra and prophesize that many people in this thread who is expressing relief at announcement o' the release date  extension will be lambasting obsidian in 2015 for failing to live up to imagined promises and unrealized potential. oh well, being right didn't work out so well for cassandra. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 8

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Bad call, and to have Paradox be the ones to make the announcement without even a heads-up to the KS backers? definitely raises some questions.

Who made the decision? Obsidian or Paradox. How is the further development being funded? because if Paradox are digging into their pockets are they exerting creative control in return and to what extent? KickStarter backers at least should be informed, they have that right.

The Witcher 3 is going to sink PoE if you do release early 2015. March is nowhere near a comfortable enough gap and Paradox has it's own single player strategic RPG releasing in the first half of 2015 so PI isn't going to allow Pillars to compete directly with that. Which leaves Summer/Autumn when nobody in their right mind wants to sit indoors playing a 50 hour RPG.

Which leaves delaying it to Winter 2015...

What was in 2012 a crowd funded IE succesor free of publisher involvement is now a Winter 2014 Paradox press release informing people who gave a different company their money that the game they funded is coming out sometime next year probs dunno lol but it will definitely be polished to a high shine!

• Like 2

Bad call, and to have Paradox be the ones to make the announcement without even a heads-up to the KS backers? definitely raises some questions.

Who made the decision? Obsidian or Paradox.

My guess and pure speculation. Obsidian notified Paradox they were going to delay the game and issue a statement. Knowing Obsidian were going to release a statement, Paradox decided to release that prepared statement on their website too. Unfortunately, the Paradox announcement came out before Obsidian's. And going by the announcement on the Paradox website, it looks like a joint statement by both companies to announce at the same time, and looks like it was written by Obsidian. There's a quote from Feargus in the announcement. Or maybe it was supposed to be a backer update to be emailed out? Who knows. This is not an issue for me.

For me, there is now a small spark of hope this game will be good with trying to fix it. And delaying the game to fix it gives me that hope. I 'want' this game to be good and releasing it in a couple of months would have been a disaster. Obsidian recognises that the game needs 'polish'.

I do note there is no news about this on Obsidian's home page or eternity website. Perhaps Obsidian can put this up in the news section as well.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II
  • Like 2

Who made the decision? Obsidian or Paradox. How is the further development being funded? because if Paradox are digging into their pockets are they exerting creative control in return and to what extent? KickStarter backers at least should be informed, they have that right.

What was in 2012 a crowd funded IE succesor free of publisher involvement is now a Winter 2014 Paradox press release informing people who gave a different company their money that the game they funded is coming out sometime next year probs dunno lol but it will definitely be polished to a high shine!

Calm down, please.

• Like 1

This was great news to wake up to this morning, but it was strange finding out from Polygon instead of via a backer update.

Hopefully Obsidian use the time well to tweak and polish the game to a high shine.

I don't care if this game takes 2 more years to come out, as long as it's awesome and polished.

Challenge: Try to think of an RPG - one single RPG - that wasn't delayed. 

Icewind Dale 2.

vol would say, "no."

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IWD2/iwd2_pr.php

pj is not having much luck with the release date stuff... unless he is krogan, he is gonna run outta testicles.

HA! Good Fun!

ps if it makes you feel better, most o' us on the bis boards were pleased with the delay 'cause we got d20 outta the wait. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

delaying a game is not a bad thing. Rushing it out is.  I would love Obsidian even go the whole way and delay the game to integrate a new combat system. Maybe turn based? ^^ And if not use the one from NWN with actual D&D rules. 

The Witcher 3 is going to sink PoE if you do release early 2015. March is nowhere near a comfortable enough gap and Paradox has it's own single player strategic RPG releasing in the first half of 2015 so PI isn't going to allow Pillars to compete directly with that. Which leaves Summer/Autumn when nobody in their right mind wants to sit indoors playing a 50 hour RPG.

Which leaves delaying it to Winter 2015...

Like others have hinted at, Paradox is in entirely different time zone than Irvine, and there's also summertime adjustment on over here, so they simply released it a bit too early. Obsidian (BAdler) did an official update a few minutes later on this site, on their own forum, for the backers and everybody else. 

And once again, this publisher deal with Paradox is only about QA, advertising and distribution.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I

EDIT: Perhaps good old Feargus wasn't pleased with the degree of IE-ness and CRPG sprawliness, and gave Josh & Co the following order: Moar IE-feel, Moar IE-depth and moar polish!  (plus combat xp)

?

If anything Feargus was the one that got convinced. After all the non-compete Argument is from him.

It was me trying to be funny. This is n.o.t...a.t....a.l.l...w.h.a.t...h.a.p.p.e.n.e.d. I was just being childish for a sec. :)

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Shoulda said KotOR 2 PJ :p

actually, we woulda' been far more harsh if pj had used kotor 2 as an example. when we think o' how obsidian flubbed the business end o' things with the kotor 2 development, am reminded o' the ribbons o' shame clip from gung-ho.

*shrug*

the kotor 2 debacle were sad. am not feeling like embarrassing the obsidian folks by dredging up the details once more, but we suspect pj is aware oh why kotor 2 were a bit rushed at the end o' the development. not a good example. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1