Delayed to early 2015

Chiming in as well to express my full support for the Obsidian team and their decision to delay the game release. Take all the time you need to make it shine! :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Sucks as I really want to play the full game as soon as possible but if they feel it's worth it, then it's a no-brainer of course. The game deserves as much spit and polish it can get.

I hope they find a good place to release so it won't get lost among other games.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Even though I hoped for a December release, I can of course get behind wanting to polish the game to a nice and presentable state.

As long as Obsidian can afford it every extra week spend in development makes for a more polished first experience.

So, how long a delay are we talking about here? Second week of January or third week?

Even though I hoped for a December release, I can of course get behind wanting to polish the game to a nice and presentable state.

As long as Obsidian can afford it every extra week spend in development makes for a more polished first experience.

So, how long a delay are we talking about here? Second week of January or third week?

I agree with Elrond, that releasing it very quickly after the Christmas spending-spree would be a bad idea. A few months into 2015 would feel reasonable to me, and ensure they have a long scope for developing and implementing the improvements that they are delaying for.

If it dropped before Feb I would be a little worried for its sales potential. Not to mention that people will still be playing Dragon Age 3 right after Christmas, and perhaps still WL2 - it's a big game. Witcher 3 may also compete with it for media and buyer attention.

Edited by karelia
  • Like 1

mid-march were our initial guess many moons ago. 'course we assumed some last minute delay(s) would push back release til first week o' the 3rd fiscal quarter... plus, 1 april 2015 were simple too good to pass.  even so, when taking chuckle value out o' consideration, march 17, 24, or 31 all strike us as likely release dates.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm not surprised at all. The beta holds a lot of promise, but after playing some of it I sincerely doubted it would be out before the end of the year. Obsidian can have all the time they want, especially since they're a developer that has suffered under tight deadlines before. I still have to finish Wasteland 2 and by the time I'm done with that Dragon Age will probably be out, and by the time I'm done with that I'll probably have time to go back to Divinity.

Just further proof that they're rushing the game, u_u...

*puffs away at his bubble pipe*

Also, I second Malignacious's sentiments. When you make this ~5-millon-dollar game, hold it to the standards of all those other 20+ million-dollar games that you made under contract with big-money publishers!

Full voice-acting, cinematics... I want to see rain-drops drip from my character's eyelashes. MAYBE, if there's time, you can actually put in like 2 quests and a skill, and 2 different weapons instead of just one. ^_^

>not ignoring Malignacious

Right ho, thanks for the heads up chaps.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Do people actually think that DA:I won't be complete and utter ****? This is news to me. :lol:

Believe it or not there are. There are also very likely to be people who will think PoE is a massive waste of time even if we all love it here and reviewers like it. It's how the world works. There are always people of a different opinion or perception of things.

I

EDIT: Perhaps good old Feargus wasn't pleased with the degree of IE-ness and CRPG sprawliness, and gave Josh & Co the following order: Moar IE-feel, Moar IE-depth and moar polish!  (plus combat xp)

?

If anything Feargus was the one that got convinced. After all the non-compete Argument is from him.

Do people actually think that DA:I won't be complete and utter ****? This is news to me. :lol:

I don't think it'll be complete and utter asterisks. I also don't think it'll be the most glorious game ever made. I suspect it might actually be worth playing, though.

Maybe I'm insane in the membrane.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

So, Brandon, Steam Early Access release on the original release date? You know you want to.

I really don't want to. =)

I don't think we are going down that route. I don't make the final decision on it, but I don't think it is in the cards for us.

• Like 20

Probably a good idea, bit of a sticky wicket at the moment what.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I

EDIT: Perhaps good old Feargus wasn't pleased with the degree of IE-ness and CRPG sprawliness, and gave Josh & Co the following order: Moar IE-feel, Moar IE-depth and moar polish!  (plus combat xp)

?

If anything Feargus was the one that got convinced. After all the non-compete Argument is from him.

Um, I think I missed some newspiece? Non-compete argument -- where, what, how? Are you referring to something Feargie said in the 4-part Matt Chat interview or something else?

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

I

?

Um, I think I missed some newspiece? Non-compete argument -- where, what, how? Are you referring to something Feargie said in the 4-part Matt Chat interview or something else?

As in the argument that they don't want to release at a date where they compete with bigger releases.

Thats Feargus who makes these considerations.

Edited by C2B

I'm glad to see PoE delayed. It's better to play a high quality game, no matter if we must wait half year more.

If PoE succeeds, our experience playing it wil be great, the critics will be good, more people will buy this game, and more sales mean more expansions, sequels, more hours of gameplay in this incredible setting.

So, Brandon, Steam Early Access release on the original release date? You know you want to.

I don't think we are going down that route. I don't make the final decision on it, but I don't think it is in the cards for us.

OK, I hope Paradox's new percentage isn't too harsh (assumptions.jpg ;) ).

You guys did seem to be very very eager to release the game this year and very sure that you would, and I have to wonder why.

Edited by Infinitron

All the better if you can make March or whatever without it.

*checks inbox*

Nope. Sure enough, just like the first delay I had to find out about this delay via a third party website instead of from Obsidian directly because it is obviously too much to ask as a loyal backer to be kept informed and updated on important project news.

I don't mind the delay. That's fine. But the communication is piss poor at best. Very doubtful I'd ever back another Obsidian game. They don't care about their backers so why should I care about them?

/rant

Edited by Moriendor
  • Like 4