Statism - the fundamental dysfunction of our world

Malignacious

To be fair, WoD lives in Texas, and it's a pretty small state, so he probably already has Ebola from that Liberian guy.

Let's shut down all the airports and close the borders just in case though.

A hundred people have been exposed to that guy, how would you like to be one of them? But I guess it's OK so long as it's someone else.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten exposed to SARS and the Bird Flu, given all my students spend holidays in Asia.  But yeah, it's a bit early to condemn the government when right now we have one guy who is quarantined and all the people he was in close contact are being watched and isolated.  What else are you looking for in a response to this?  Should we send everyone into the fallout bunkers immediately?

You students had SARS and Bird Flu? What we should do is stop having random people from affected countries be able to come here for any reason, most African countries have those restrictions already, which is the only way the epidemic hasn't spread to them.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

To be fair, all research around spanking suggests it's absolutely horrible for children. Infact, interestingly my aunt apparently almost spanked me when I was 1 or 2 or maybe even 8 months old, and my mom flipped out on her. BOTH of my aunt's children ended up with some form of autism. Mind you I'm by no means implying spanking causes all autism, but I do recall encountering a study that linked them to some degree. Likewise I think my aunt is a particularly bad and drastic example.

Point is merely that spanking is a terrible punishment that should be avoided at all costs and only used if everything else has been exhausted. My mom had a no spanking policy and resorted to it once when I was 4 or so, but it was just once and she didn't let it become some lazy standard "cuz easier."

I'll believe that just as I'm going to believe the moon is made of cheese.

For thousands of years children have been spanked and it worked fine. Spanking is one of the tools in the parenting box. It's not the only one, and one that should be rarely used, but to deny or forbid it completely? Sheer, utter folly.

It's the same kind of BS as is "video games cause violence in children" or this entire feminisim/gamersgate crap going on now. A bunch of people utterly convinced they are campaiging for a great cause.

Studies? Articles?

HAH! In this day and age nothing can be trusted anymore.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I feel that like religious nuts, Randists believe that somehow absolute faith in their dogma secures their fate against oblivion.

Oblivion in this case being an existence of mediocrity working a nine-to-five job as an office drone, wherein every day you stand in the shower regretting the decisions you made in life.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I feel that like religious nuts, Randists believe that somehow absolute faith in their dogma secures their fate against oblivion.

Oblivion in this case being an existence of mediocrity working a nine-to-five job as an office drone, wherein every day you stand in the shower regretting the decisions you made in life.

I don't think that's true. I think Objectivists (Which is what they call themselves) simply want the world to be simple.

Force =  Bad

Voluntarism = Good

The real world isn't that simple though.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Sorry to keep derailing the thread, but this is interesting : http://westhunt.wordpress.com/2014/10/03/disaster-in-the-south-pacific/

Reading about how little people understood viruses/bacteria back then helps me appreciate modern medicine. This was a good read.:)

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

As if they didn't already have enough problems, there's now an outbreak of the Marburg virus in Uganda.

http://www.china.org.cn/world/Off_the_Wire/2014-10/05/content_33686011.htm

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Telling people essentially "read this/watch all this stuff, blindly accept it and adhere to my beliefs or you're an ignorant sheep who just thinks what they're told to" without a shred of irony isn't really the best tone to set for a thread from the outset.

The human brain has already stopped your thread dead in its tracks, anyway. Confirmation bias and the backfire effect practically guarantee that you will change nobody's belief systems and nobody who argues against you will change yours.

Edited by AGX-17

Telling people essentially "read this/watch all this stuff, blindly accept it and adhere to my beliefs or you're an ignorant sheep who just thinks what they're told to" without a shred of irony isn't really the best tone to set for a thread from the outset.

The human brain has already stopped your thread dead in its tracks, anyway. Confirmation bias and the backfire effect practically guarantee that you will change nobody's belief systems and nobody who argues against you will change yours.

Someone who challenged, and shifted some of my views is Guard Dog.

He didn't do that by calling me an **** and posting some links.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hi guys! It's me, Kroney from the internet. I pop up every now again to be sarcastic at people. I've got to say, you guys really do have a great variety of posters on here, don't you? This chap in particular is a triumph. Say, do you think he'll be able to find time to carry on posting links to what I shall generously call "alternative theory" sites next half term?

Edited by Kroney

Dirty deeds done cheap.